1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your favorate Dan Orlich story.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by awbenz, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

Tell your favorate Dan Orlich story and include pictures if you can. Dan's Daughter reads them to him. Dan likes for you to use your name at the end so he will recognise you. Tribute to the First Big Dog. Allen

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The only time I ever saw Dan shoot was at the Steer & Calf Shoot St. Cloud Minnesota in 1965 or so. We all wondered what kind of shells Dan was using for Handicap and were very surprised when someone picked up some empties and they were Federal Paper light 8's.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I don't have any stories but you can tell him for me that I along with thousands of others have watched him and admired him for years. He was an asset to the game of football and also the shooting game. The tribute he paid to Al Ljutic was a true testiment of Mr Orlichs character. God Bless him. Lou Mowan, Garden City Idaho formerly ft wayne Indiana.

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I don't have any personal stories either as I'm probably too young and started after his era. But I was lucky enough to hang around several HOF'er and from what I heard from them pretty consistantly was Big Time Respect for a Big man...in stature and in HEART. Would be an honor to meet you someday Mr. Orlich...

Would love to hear a story from you about you and C.E. "Barney" Barnhart.

milt palasota
    Ft Worth
    Former KCTA pres.

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Back in the early 70s, while at the Grand, I was at the old salad bar in the Friendly's across the street when an older couple invited me to dine with them. They were obviously new shooters with a lot of questions that I was able to answer. It wasn't until after we were talking for a while that I realized that they thought that I was Dan Orlich. The only thing that we had in common was that we were both tall and we both loved trapshooting. At the end of dinner, they thanked me for my insight and encouragement and insisted on buying. I always wondered how those folks friends responded when they heard that they had dinner with Dan Orlich.

Ed Yanchok

6. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I shot behind him in Vegas and at Reno years ago and I just marveled at the smoke and the style he possessed. A giant in our sport, Thanks Dan for the memories.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click on the link. This is my favorite story. I never shot with Dan, but have with George.

Wayne

8. C1

C1 Member

In 1988 I attended the Golden West Grand. Dan was always my HERO although I had never met him but I struck up a conversation with Joan Davis of Trap and Field and told her about my hero worship and she said "there he is" and she insisted that Dan come and meet me. He was the warmest and friendliest trapshooter I had ever met and we talked a little but he had to go as his squad was about up.

The next morning I was going to my trap and realized that the squad on deck ahead of me was composed of Dan, and Al Ljutic and 3 others (I wasn't interested). I stood in the background and just listened. Dan was laughing with Al about how many targets he had shot with old number one. He noticed me standing behind him and introduced me to Al. It was then I realized both Dan and I had identical silver 10x shooting coats and I asked for a picture with him. I had that picture hanging in my office for years and every once in a while someone would ask if that person beside me was my father. I loved my father above everything and I would always reply "no my father was a better wing shot". Well he and Al went to shoot and He just vaporized 25 targets from the 27 and as he was walking away he turned to Al and said "the guys that say you can shoot a choke out of a barrel should have watched that 25."

Several years later I met him again at the Grand and reintroduced myself and he was a gracious and humble champion and we talked about old number one. He was convinced that the gun was his key to success.

A few years later my squad mates and I had a winter trip planned for Arizona. Before I could get on the plane they checked me into the hospital and gave me a triple by-pass. My squad mates brought me a little something from Dan, a shell box with the inscription "thanks for the place on the squad. Dan Orlich" Seems that the four of them signed up to shoot and Dan filled the squad.

My warmest wishes go out to the greatest gentleman trapshooter I have had the pleasure of knowing.

Gary Riecke

9. C1

C1 Member

Dan and me at the GWG 1988 - Gary Riecke

c1_2008_0303.jpg

10. TC

TC TS Member

Good story Gary, thanks for the picture. I remember reading articles about Dan and Al in Trap and Field in the mid 60's. Tony

11. ken a

ken a Member

In around 1960 I was new to trapshooting and entered a zone shoot in Sacramento,Ca. Afterwards I got to see what real shooting was about. Dan Orlick and J Deavers had a shoot off that lasted that day and into the next. I was amazed how they could smoke targets forever. It seemed like Dan barely moved the gun and then, smoke. Glad I got to see him in action.

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Respectfully, what is Dan's condition and from what?

13. jennylin

jennylin Member

While digging through some old trophies that my Grandpa won over the years, I found a silver platter that had a note taped to the back "Pa beat Dan Orlich in a shoot-off to win this trophy". I think the date and location were inclided too.

My Grandma taped notes and names to everything so we would know who they belonged to and/or where they came from.

14. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

First I am the guy that brought the shell box to C1 so I can provide support to that story. Dan was shooting number one at that time. A true gentleman as always. Dan impressed me most one evening at the Tucson Gun Club. It was the annual steak feed for the Winter Chain shoot. I was setting at the same table with Dan and Bruno. They both started to tear into steaks and wash it down with adult beverage from a country where men wear short dresses. A little while later Dan and Bruno WALKED out after at least 3 large steaks each and left the empty beverage bottle on the table. Even considering the size of both of them, I don't know where they put all of that. Dan is indeed larger than life. The sport will long endure if we can find shooters like Dan and Bruno.

Jim brown

15. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Doug Bedwell Is Ninth on Record to Smash 100 from 27 Yards

From the time that the 27-yard line was initiated in 1955 until June 11, 1969, only 13 perfect centuries (recorded by eight shooters) had been posted from maximum yardage. But on June 12 All America Junior Captain Doug Bedwell, who turned 18 in October, added his name to the select list. He smashed all 100 from 27 yards at the Vincennes (Ind.) GC to become the ninth person (and youngest) in ATA history to register such a mark, bringing the number in the record books to 14.

Col. E. S. Throckmorton was the first gunner to break all 100 from his farback post. He turned the trick on July 19, 1964. Eleven days later Dan Orlich registered his first of six such tallies. He is the only gunner to have more than one to his credit. His others were recorded in May and August of 1966, in July of 1967 and then two within three days in May of 1968 at the Golden West Grand.

George Snellenberger hit 100 from the 27 at the Central zone Shoot in Evansville, Ind., in August of 1965, and two months later J. C. Morrison added his name to the record book. Larry Gravestock posted 100 from maximum yardage in May of 1966. Frank Little turned the trick in May of 1968, Bill Findley broke his 100 the next moth and Leo Harrison hit his perfect century in July.

The rundown by years looks like this: two in 1964, two in 1965, three in 1966, one in 1967, five in 1968 and one so far in 1969. According to T&F’s records, Bedwell’s perfect century is only the fourth such score recorded to date by ATA shooters this year – from any yardage.
    [ from Trap & Field, August 1969 ]

Of the first eleven centuries from 27 yards, Dan Orlich carded 6 of them. Great shooter, Nevada ATA Delegate, enshrined into the Trapshooting Hall of Fame on August 14,1979. Amazing career.

16. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I belive it was 1990 or 91 at the Western Grand in Salt Lake Gun Club.
    I was about to have dinner with a customer Ken McKensey from Battle Mount-
    ain NV. Ken asked if I had met Dan Orlich, I said no, but would be honored.
    We had dinner with Dan. I thought I knew a little about trap history,
    but found that Dan was an expert. We talked into the night and I was
    amazed at:
    1. His knowledge.
    2. His perfect mixture of humility and pride.
    3. His interest in Ken and I, even though we were trapshooting novices.
    4. His respect for the sport and other shooters.
    He was one of the most impressive people I have ever met.

Gary Owen (lived in Salt Lake then, SD now)

17. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

I just happened to follow Dan into the gates of a couple of clubs before big shoots. I noticed he always slowed his vehicle almost to a stop at the entrance to the club.

I finally asked him about it. He said he like to stop on the way in and remind himself that he could break any target they could throw.

Which, of course, he did most of the time.

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Dan's election to the PITA HoF.

Dan Orlich (1995)

Dan Orlich, a native of Minnesota, went to Nevada as a student at the University of Nevada, Reno and returned there to live after a three year stint with the Green Bay Packers as an end.

In 1952, after returning to Reno, he went to work for Harold’s Club and took up the sport of trapshooting. The rest is history.

Some of Dan’s major accomplishments include:
    • Grand Pacific Singles Champion in 1956,1957,1958,1961,1962,1964,1965,1968,1969, and 1973
    • Grand Pacific Handicap Champion in 1969
    • Grand Pacific Doubles Champion in 1955,1958,1961, and 1969
    • Grand Pacific HOA in 1956,1957,1958,1959,1961,1962,1964,1965,1966,1968,1969,1970 and 1971
    • Grand Pacific HAA in 1957,1958,1962,1965,1966,1968,1969, and 1971
    • PITA All Star Team in 1956 and 1958
    • Nevada State Singles Champion in 1958,1960,1961,1962,1964,1965,1966,1968,1969 and 1970
    • Nevada State Handicap Champion in 1968, 1969, 1970
    • Nevada State Doubles Champion in 1957,1958,1959,1960,1961,1963,1964,1966, and 1969
    • Nevada State HOA in 1966 and 1969
    • Nevada State HAA in 1960,1966, and 1969
    • 400 x 400 in the HAA (3 hole targets)
    • Long run of 1129 in singles
    • At the time of his induction, he carried the highest Singles average in PITA: .9982

Dan was chosen Nevada Athlete of the Year in 1957 and his award was presented by the Lt. Governor. Dan was also inducted into the Nevada State Athletic Hall of Fame.

Dan’s friendly outgoing personality along with his modesty regarding his accomplishments, makes him admired and respected not only as a champion, but as a person.

©2009 PITAHOF.COM

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Good data, Sir Heap! Remember that the 1969 HAA was a 400 X 400 where he ran all three championship events clean. Not much more I can add to previous comments about this gentleman among men.....Bob Dodd

20. windyflat

windyflat Member

Did Dan shoot a Ljutic o/u for dbls?

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dan orlich

dan orlich reno
dan orlich reno nv
dan orlich stories
dan orlich trap shooting