1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your experience with Pressure Washers? Good orBad

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I am looking to purchasing a (electric) pressure washer for use around the house. I figure to go to a max of $250 or so. I have read reviews on a number of washers but it seems that most have some serious problems. Very early motor burnout and plastic hose and or fittings failures seem to be the most common problems.

If you own or regularly use a pressure washer that fits into the price range I have, could you let me know your experiences with them. I am especially interested in trying to avoid the short-lived and non-repairable (economically) units.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. sharhope

sharhope Member

I live in the Pacific Northewest in a forest so a pressure washer is a must. Forget the cheaper electric ones if you are doing a lot of areas. I would look for a Honda gx powered gas unit got mine from a pawn shop for 200 dollars.

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Don't get a cheap one. I have a 9 hp 3000psi 3 gpm unit I love.
    Friend of mine picked up a 7 1/2 hp Gernerac at Lowes on sale for
    $399.95. 2750 psi 2.5 gpm. Very nice unit for the price.
    Mine was about $700 and will out perform his, but his still worth the $400.

Mike C.

Groveland, CA

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Honda 5hp, 3000PSI. The fine power spray will eat a hole in concrete.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I don't hink you will be able to find a good reliable sprayer for $250

I built my own, used a Cat pump, and 7.5 HP electric motor, the pump puts out up to 4000 PSI at 3or 4 gallon per minute, at full throttle it will take the paint off anything

But the pump was about $900, but it's been bullet proof for 18 yrs

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

[​IMG]

I've had an Excell XR2600 pressure washer for several years. Bought it at Home Depot. Specs are 2600 psi, 2.5 gpm, 5 HP Honday engine. It has served me well for general cleanup, cleaning vehicles, blasting old paint from vehicles and wood, and blasting dirt from around tree roots.

[​IMG]

Home Depot no longer carries the Excell model, but they do have the Megashot 3100, which appears to be the same thing with higher pump pressure.

Note that Honda makes two different style engines. Those with a separate head, and those with the head integral with half of the crankcase. Mine is the latter style. Some say they are not as good as the separate head models, but I've never had a problem. It's certainly more affordable.

A couple of points to remember with gas pressure washers...

Always start them while pulling the trigger on the gun. At least on the lower HP models. That greatly reduces the load on the engine.

Never run the pressure washer for more than a minute or two if you do not use the gun. Aside from putting unneeded pressure on the seals and pump, these small pumps depend on the cooling effect of the water flow.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have a 4000 lb with a 15hp Kolar engine. Previously had a 2100 lb washer, 5hp Honda, it was just a tinker toy.

8. porky

porky TS Member

If you are planning to power wash your siding with this power washer, be aware that the water force can and will get under the siding. If you are to power wash any siding, it must be from above the siding and not below.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah no doubt a 4000 psi gets the job done, but as pressure increases beyond 3000 psi you have to use wider and wider nozzles and increase your distance to keep from tearing up wood. The average homeowner does not need an industrial unit. Stick with a 2500 to 3000 psi unit for most home use.

Where the 4000 psi units excel is for stripping paint, rust scale and old hardened grease off of metal, and quickly cleaning concrete.

10. Catpower

4000 psi is also good for cleaning 10 pass commercial A/C coils

But you had better spray perfectly straight through the coils of all the fins will be flat

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't forget you will also need a good supply of water to feed the real hungry machines. Normal household water facets can only feed so many GPM/GPH. Some machines that are real thirsty will require a water tank to keep up. Also what BIO said above is true. We have an industrial pressure washer w/steam where I work that will literally remove the paint off a vehicle from 6ft away. Add a turbo wand to it and it will strip metal clean like a sand blaster. I'm not sure of the actual PSI output but it is a mean machine.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Run some antifreeze thru it before storage and pistons in pump won't get stuck.

13. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Thank you to all who passed on information. It looks like I will have to rent a gas powered washer since the cost to purchase one is a bit higher than I can fit into my budget right now and electric washers seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

There aren't any pawn shops or Costco type stores anywhere near enough to make a trip to them worth while. My primary need is to wash stains and algae from vinyl siding and clean up a wood deck. With the vinyl I think a lower pressure unit would be the better way to go. Thanks for the tip about washing from the top down. I did not have idea about that.

Looks like the weekend project, weather permitting, is cleaning.

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Remember it is easy to tear up a lot of stuff with a pressure washer.

You are probably doing the right thing by renting. If you buy then you look for stuff to use it on. My neighbor blew out his soffit and watered his attic then blew the face off his brick. Be careful.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I rent one from Home Depot so I don't have to store in and take up space where I can store shotgun shells ... They have a very nice selection from minimum to maximum power and are cheap to rent, never a break down ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. Catpower

If you want to get the stains and algae off the siding just use a hand sprayer and bleach, mix the bleach fairly strong

It will make it look like new again in a few minutes

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Catpower, better keep the powerwasher away from the A/C coils. Real easy to damage and destroy the coil. Not worth the risk.

18. willing

willing Member

Gal/min is more important than pressure.

Bill

19. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Just to update you.

I rented a 2700 PSI from our local hardware/lumber yard (Owned by the father of an Olympic hopeful young lady trapshooter.) and it performed much better than my expectations. It blasted off years worth of accumulated crud from the deck, picnic table and front porch wheelchair ramp and cleaned siding on the house too. I am just not looking forward to getting the electric bill since our well pump had to supply all the water that the pressure washer used :-(

It was a Mi-T-M washer gasoline powered and it ran virtually all day with no problem. It started very easy and other than having to stop and refill the gas, it did not get any break. Me, on the other had, did have to take a few breaks.

Once again thank you for you advice and comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

excell xr2600 pressure washer reviews

home depot pressure washers

xr2600 honda pressure washer review