1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Democratic Congress At Work.....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    (Waiting for 2stupid to blame Bush in 5...4...3...2...)<br>
    <br>
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/711014.html<br>
    <br>
    Bailout bill includes tax break for NASCAR racetracks<br>
    By LISA ZAGAROLI<br>
    <br>
    A tax break for NASCAR racetracks and other motor-sports facilities is among the "sweeteners" tucked inside a 450-page financial-services bailout bill to make the package more palatable to lawmakers.<br>
    <br>
    The Senate-passed bill includes an array of so-called "tax extenders." One extends for two years a tax policy that had been allowed to expire in December that lets motor-sports facilities be treated the same as amusement parks and other entertainment complexes for tax purposes.<br>
    <br>
    That allowed them to write off their capital investments over a seven-year period. The motor sports industry feared that without a specific legal clarification, motor-sports facilities would be required to depreciate their capital over 15 years or longer because of a recent Internal Revenue Service inquiry into the matter. That would make repaved tracks and new concession stands more expensive in the short term.<br>
    <br>
    It isn't a new tax break, rather the way tax law historically has been interpreted, said Lauri Wilks, the vice president of communications for Speedway Motorsports, which owns the NASCAR tracks in Fort Worth, Texas; Sonoma, Calif.; Concord, N.C.; and elsewhere.<br>
    <br>
    "It gives us incentive to go ahead and invest in our facilities," she said.<br>
    <br>
    Wilks said she couldn't put a price tag on the measure because track owners would pay the same amount, just over a longer period.<br>
    <br>
    "Whether you pay all up front or depreciate them over time, the cash outlay is the same," she said.<br>
    <br>
    A bill to extend the tax treatment had been introduced in the House of Representatives by Rep. Mike Thompson, D-Calif., and co-sponsored by a number of North Carolina members including Reps. Robin Hayes, a Republican, and Melvin Watt, a Democrat.<br>
    <br>
    Thompson and Hayes voted against the original bank bailout bill Monday, which didn't include the tax extenders added by the Senate and passed Wednesday. Neither has said how he will vote when the House takes up the new bill.<br>
    <br>
    In the Senate, the motor-sports provision was sponsored by Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.<br>
    <br>
    Some watchdog groups oppose loading up the bill with unrelated items.<br>
    <br>
    "Unfortunately, it took a legitimately historic piece of legislation that lawmakers on principle could vote for or against it, and they just loaded it up with business as usual, a huge tax package not related at all to the bailout, and crammed it over to the House," said Steve Ellis, the vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan budget watchdog group. "And it's going to be interesting to see whether this turns any votes or not."

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Guess we now know the outcome. We should fire the whole lot and start anew. Jake

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Brian, If I may I would like to correct your wording. It is not a DEMOCRATIC ongress--it is a democrat congress. Nothing DEMOCRATIC about it.

Cheers!

4. GRR

GRR TS Member

AMEN.....SHADOW

5. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

Brian,

You have qite the short, selective memory. You seem to forget the spoiled Republicans after they acted like children when they lost control of congress in 2006. Let me jar your memory.......

Hartford Courant: Just More GOP "Hyperpartisanship", "Bad" and "Slothful Behavior." "In deciding Nov. 20 to delay action on remaining budget bills until next year, Republican leaders exhibited the kind of bad behavior that was at the heart of their staggering losses in the Nov. 7 elections. ... Republicans lost control of the House and Senate largely because voters have turned against the Iraq war and were aghast at scandals that claimed several members of Congress, mostly Republicans. The voters also didn't like Congress' drunken-sailor spending habits and the fact that members worked bankers' hours under GOP leadership. The decision to delay final work on this fiscal year's budget until next year was consistent with the Republican-controlled Congress' slothful behavior - they were in session barely three days a week - and its hyperpartisanship." [Hartford Courant, Editorial, 12/4/06]

Republican Inaction Will Hurt Veterans, Education, Health And Law Enforcement. "Ridiculed as the ‘do-nothing' 109th U.S. Congress, the Senate and U.S. House of Representatives on Monday begin a brief session to wrap up whatever work they can, install a new defense secretary and approve money to prevent a shutdown of government services. ... Congress has failed to pass nine of the 11 annual bills that fund government activities in the fiscal year that began on October 1. Farm subsidies, education, health and law enforcement are among the programs without full-year funding. To avert government shutdowns, two temporary spending bills have already been enacted. The latest expires on Friday and Congress is expected to pass a third stopgap funding bill that would keep U.S. agencies running through February 15. Early next year, Democrats will try to finish the work. But in the meantime, some programs could suffer as the stopgap bills mostly hold spending to last year's level. Joe Davis, a spokesman for Veterans of Foreign Wars, said that ‘will absolutely hurt.' With growing numbers of Iraq war veterans, he said the backlog of claims for medical, pension and education benefits has swelled to more than 800,000, compared to about 773,000 last year." [Reuters, 12/3/06]

Memory coming back to you? Not signing bills for farms, education, and law enforcement? And they wonder if the voters are going to remember those actions? When the senate goes to 60 Democtrac seats this term, I think the answer is a resounding YES!

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: You have qite the short, selective memory

What does that have to do with the vote that took place last week, as in reality it was the Democrats in the house (not the senate and 60 votes) that needed to be bribed, as they could not keep there own members in line on the first vote that took place?

7. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

He was talking about the Democratic congress. I was reminding him of the Republican congress when they were last in charge. Also Joe, Mcclown voted for that package. Just in case you are not aware (obviously you are not).

8. Joe Potosky

I'm very aware and have no use for McCain. The only reason I'm voting for President this time is to support Palin.

Some on this site always try to lead the discussion back to Republicans and that was the case on the vote and the pork contained in it.

The bill last week would have passed if house Dem's could of kept there troops in line.

Matter of fact, some were allowed to vote against the bill, as the leadership thought they had enough republicans lined up, but they didn't and lost the vote. Had nothing to do with the senate that has more moderate republicans who in most cases are willing to side with Democrats if it makes them look good in the eyes of the press.

As I said, the Senate was in the bag last week, they did not need 60 votes to cut debate and bring the bill to a vote.

So what does the bill that failed than passed, have to do with 2006, other than trying to deflect what the Democrats who have the majority in the Senate and house, are trying doing to this country?

9. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

Did your boy GW sign it in? Or add to his record total of vetos in office?

I don't think you understood the above comment(s) by me. I was trying to illustrate that no matter what the party, they do stupid, childish things. The Republicans were trying to shut the country down. Does that fit any of the above?! Maybe I will draw a picture for you next time. I can't explain it any more simply than that!

I am totally against a bailout. I think the markets should adjust (or fail) on their own instead of falsely propping them up. That is my personal belief. I bet if we checked the American public we would see that would be the majority. Pork or not, I am against it.

10. Joe Potosky

RE: Did your boy GW sign it in?

It did not take long for you to get to Bush and you also got your shot in at McCain.

Thanks, your comments give me more reason to vote for Palin and people like her, as it's time for conservatives and libertarians to bring the country back from the edge.

I hope that all gun owners get out and vote for the only real pro-gun candidate, the one who also happens to be the only one of the four who has balanced a budget and gave the surplus back to the people. Sarah Palin...

11. chessney

chessney TS Member

You hillbilly rep's should be glad that Nascar get's a break.What else do you use your tv for?..Ziggy

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Swanny did you replace Walker . He was a hoot your just a turd .

13. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

The moveon.org twits are out today.

14. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Swammy = liberal bonehead.

15. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Speaking of dumocrats,,headlines; "ACORN Office Raided in Voter Fraud Investigation".

"But it's not the first time ACORN's been under investigation for registration irregularities. The raid is the latest of at least nine investigations into possible fraudulent voter registration forms submitted by ACORN -- the probes have involved ACORN workers in Wisconsin, New Mexico, Indiana and other states.

In 2006, ACORN also committed what Washington Secretary of State Sam Reed called the "worse case of election fraud" in the state's history.

In the case, ACORN submitted just over 1,800 new voter registration forms, and all but six of the 1,800 names were fake.

More recently, 27,000 registrations handled by the group from January to July 2008 "went into limbo because they were incomplete, inaccurate, or fraudulent," said James Terry, chief public advocate at the Consumers Rights League."

Mash,,,the link.

16. ganger

ganger Member

jwemrw, I hate to break the news to you, but your boy,Obama voted for the bailout bill also. And, if you care to look up some facts, you will find a whole bunch of your liberal congressmen and senators were the ones who insisted on Fannie and Freddie making home loans to people who could not afford those loans. All the while, they accepted large campaign contributions from those institutions. Obama, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, John Kerry, to name a few of those who benefitted the most. But then, I'm guessing you are not interested in facts. ganger

17. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

It started back in the Clinton administration. That is a fact. I guess Bush had 8 years to corrrect it.....NOT!

Joe...I'm not trying to sway your vote. I find it funny you bash the whole dem. party, but I mention facts about the pubs and your bristle up with your chub for the beauty pageant queen Palin. She sure knows how to blow a flute.

Funny she is against sex education and distribution of contraceptives in school. Might have helped her daughter out a bit if she had that option.

She also cut funding for renewable (wind) projects in AK.

She gave her earmark requests to Ted Stevens (enjoy prison Ted) while in office. And they were more per person than any other state.

She's against tax increases, but increased them on oil companies, etc. while in office in AK.

She approved a bridge for $600MM (that's our $) to her home town of 7,000 (and was popular with Ted Steven's son-in law developer). And Mccain was against both projects.

Yeah...she is sooooooo different than all the other politicians!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.