1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your club is "clickish how to fix

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Jun 10, 2013.

1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

We had a newbie to the club this year and he did it all correct. He was a new person in town and didnt have alot of friends yet but he wants to shoot. He came out to the club, made his presence known by shooting all the things he could, signed up to be a member and supported the club through ammo purchase and components.

Now he would like to shoot on every league we offer. GREAT! But how to this person a team?

Our league teams are put together by our league shooters. The club doesnt put these teams together. Anyway this person had a misunderstanding with a existing team that he thought he was on but had actually just shot on a short squad with them once. This teams squad was up with only 4 shooters and this guys asked if he could shoot with them. One of the teams shooters said......"sure you can" For all you veteran shooters you would easily realize you are just filling a squad and not a team spot. However, for someone new to the sport you can see how it was a misunderstanding.

This left for some tough words from this team and this gentleman. After the temper settled he came and asked some of the club representitives about this.

His exact question......"Your club is to clickish and I honestly would like to shoot but as a new comer how can a person get on a team here? I guess I will have to make my own team!"

This is a VALID point. On one hand we at clubs all want to bring in new shooters but offer them very little to get them the support of a "league team"
    On the other hand league teams are comprised of people that they have shot with for years and are friends or family. Pretty hard to go to them and say......."heres a new shooter for yah"

But we do not get enough NEW shooters or shooters that are not already recruited to a team to make a fresh team.

So what are you clubs doing to aid the new shooters to a league team?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bring a bag of bagels and you will be one of the boys before you can say pull. HMB

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our leagues started as teams and we chose to go individual with Lewis Classes for trophies... this allows basically an unlimited number of folks to participate and on any giving week of the league - I will be shooting with a mixed group of fellow members I may or may not have previously shot with... you still have folks who do shoot together, but overall its more flexible and inviting to newbies.

For our limited-access programs, where we have to limit the total number of entries, we have a waitlist approach... (e.g. my Turkey Shoot) those who are in, stay in for as long as they shoot, but if they choose to give up their spot, they get back in line like everyone else and the next member up gets in... for as long as they choose to participate...

As far as our membership application process, we have transitioned into a sponsor/mentor arrangement, for the very reason to help new members become socialized easier into the club...

I think if you posted a listing for interested "singles" to form a new league team, you might be pleasantly surprised how many members may be sitting on the sidelines, too embarrassed to ask...

Jay

4. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

I know how the new shooter feels. At a club where I was a member I shot on the same team two leagues a year for over six years. I was in a slump when a new league was starting. I show up to shoot and was told I was no longer on the team.
    Bud

5. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

So. The first year shoot wherever you fit. If it takes forming your own team, form one. If the club makes up teams take the slot the club puts you on. Don't complain, don't explain. I'm a 'new' shooter this year. I joined my "Home Club" in Feb. Asked about/expressed interest in League shoots to the Trap manager and he put me on a team with 3 absolutely new shooters and one somewhat experienced shooter. Trap manager put them with me because of my past record and asked if I minded mentoring/teaching the new guys. I didn't mind. The one person on the team that always shot 'bank' and only showed up as part of the team once was the 'experienced' shooter. This summer league the manager asked me to again mentor some new shooters. I am doing so. This team is made up of guys who are willing to learn and are even eager to learn what I can teach them. It takes some away from my own concentration and league scores to watch them and discuss how they can be better next time but guess what? They listen and make the changes that fit them and the next week they ALL shot better than week 1. Me? I learn from the teaching. I pick up hints on here and from the AAA shooters I have gotten to know and my registered targets are proof enough that I am OK as a shooter. I've just moved up from singles C to singles B to singles A for the State shoot this week and went straight in the shootoff to win my doubles class yesterday. I don't have enough doubles for a proper classification so will shoot them as a B. My total target average so far this year would qualify me for a place on the Mens State Team but I don't have the required numbers of totals yet.

If the gentleman in question from the OP is willing to take a slot, any slot, then next year he might have one of the better shooting teams ask him to join them. If not he can put his own team together and beat the socks off the snooty bunch that won't have him this year. That's what I am doing. HeH.

Don T. Littleton CO

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Your club is

Bud that is just plain low. I shoot on a league that is very competitive even though they are not registered birds. We won it as a team two years in a row after basically climbing up the ranks for years. One of our shooters went into a bad slump for various reasons. He offered to step down and we wouldn't hear of it! To me shooting is all about the fellowship and enjoying time outdoors doing a sport that I love. we had another guy who lost the sight in his dominant eye. He already knew that we would not support him leaving so he simply switched from right to left and plugged away. For those guys to just cut you from the squad is total b.s. You are better off without them. Bill

7. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Your club is

At the better clubs that I have attended, people have asked me if I was interested in shooting in leagues, club shoots, etc. It sounds like the club in question may actually be a little "clique-ish" if the new guy wasn't offered a spot. There are lots of places to shoot. If one doesn't offer the services needed, I take my money elsewhere.

That is the nice part about ATA shooting. No need to deal with those kind of situations. Everyone speaks the same language and it is very easy for an individual to show up at a shoot and find a squad. Even if you can't it really isn't a big deal to shoot alone.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Your club is

Life is hard. Sometimes it sucks to be the new guy. The best any club can hope for is that members remember what it was like when they were new.Jeff

9. missemucho

missemucho Member

Your club is

Many times the "new to the club" shooter may not be as skilled as many of the others--they can be reluctant to "hurt" a team. What we do at our club is form 5 man teams then drop the low score on the team. Standings are based on the high four scores. The newbys get to actually shoot in competition and have the team spirit. Many of the people that used to shoot other disciplines started shooting skeet and/or trap because they felt less pressure. Their goal then became to shoot well enough to have their score count.

Clubs get a rep as being "clickish" when they don't reach out to new shooters.
    JMHO

John

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Your club is

Avaldes....so if you have a full team which guy are you going to throw off for this person you do not know? that is the rub. It isnt that he is not welcome to shoot but find a team short a shooter is the problem.

11. Avaldes

Your club is

If the club is really serious about welcoming the new guy, just allow 6 man teams and keep the best 5 scores. This allows him or any other newbie to join the league and won't impact the scores from previous weeks.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Your club is

Talk to a few people, ask questions of them ...People like to be able to tell you about things and become friendly with them and they won't care what you shoot like as long as you are one of the guys ... Don't brown nose or suck up, thats obvious to anyone so be yourself and let them like you for you ... Come to Arizona, we don't care who we shoot with as long as you bring donuts, not bagels ... Big Don has many suggestions on getting along with people and making them love you for you ... lol ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. skeezix

skeezix Member

Your club is

We require that each squad has a new shooter on it. If you are a new shooter you get a year as a new shooter in trap, and you get a year as a new shooter in skeet. Then you're on your own.

We handicap the teams based on the number of new shooters on a squad.

We do allow all vet teams - they compete amongst themselves with no handicapping.

John

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your club is

Avaldes: Neat idea!

15. butcher

butcher Member

Your club is

If he was an outstanding shooter he probably wouldn't have trouble finding a team slot. If I was him I would look to another more friendly gun club.

16. Avaldes

Your club is

Thanks DaveP. Pretty simple change to the rules that only helps the new guy and doesn't hurt any of the existing teams.

17. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Your club is

Our teams are TEAMS of 7 people and we use best 5 scores. Those teams are 7 people that shoot together and have for years. How do you goto them and say....."heres a new shooter you will have to decide who go's and who stays" thats just not how our teams are formed. Teams are formed by the people and not the club.

18. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Your club is

I was at our club one time and heard a guy clicking. Turns out it was his pacemaker. Maybe the guys with pacemakers should get together, form a clique and start shooting together.

Just kidding!

Steve Nunley

Albq., NM

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Your club is

Some good suggestions mentioned...I'd do the bring coffee and doughnuts...just hang out as much as possible...kick their asses royally on the range..then the teams will fall all over themselves to get you on with them instead of "the other guys"

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Your club is

Most of what is called Gun Club Clique is usually just a bunch of friends that sit at the same table to enjoy each other's company. Newbies always, mostly, feel like there are invisible walls to "breaking in" to the regular crowd.

I think that most groups are amenable to absorbing good new members. Don't be so shy.