1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Call may be the Culprit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gunner x, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Does your Call have a influence on your shooting. Does it affect your timming?
    Has your Call cycled a experimental evolution. What type Call produces positive
    results. Are you calling too Loud or too Soft. Is your Call too long or abrupt.

Is your call overly aggressive? If a shooter should say PULL, is that not antagonistic to the flow of the target. Does it even have importance in the
    breaking of a clay target. Would a Call change benefit your shooting, Have you
    tried various tones.

If you feel the Call is not important, experiment, change your call from post to
    post and monitor the results. And what about Pitch, and do you Call, when you
    are not ready for the target to be released, many shooters call before being set and prepared to accept the flight and make the shot.

Instructors rarely address the technique of Calling for a target, why is that?
    Have you noticed how the Top Shooters call for a Target,probably not.
    Ever had a shooter Mimic your call, while shooting next to you?

These our thoughts and questions one should examine. It could alter your approach to shooting and define how you initiate the sequence to release a Target on time, every time.

Calling succesfully for a Target, with the correct pitch and tone may be a hidden secret,a Art,a style change of mental alertness that preps the shot.

All the above is of course relative and subjective, that being said, one must
    ask himself, When and How should I Call. Is my Call that of confidence, or is
    it a call typical of a 911 message, Panic!

Just Sharing some thoughts,

Gunnerx

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

My call changes from trap to trap and from event to event. Often my call is too soft and this does cost me targets. I am trying to work on that problem, but if I think about how I am going to call, I can't think about breaking the bird. Voice release systems have made many of our calls too soft.

Pat Ireland

3. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I read the story posted here earlier about the Quiet Eye, wrote down a list of things I would try and think about next time I shot. Was shooting singles, ran first 12 birds, thinking the whole time about the Quiet Eye, calling "hup" like I always do. Then a "pull" came out of my mouth = missed bird. Distracted myself, mimicked somebody else. Back to "hup" and got the rest.

I noticed a lot of missed birds when somebody on voice activated traps has to chance their call cause the mic doesn't pick up their pull, hup, whatever and they have to switch.

4. Ertz

Ertz Member

I have recently put a three point check list in my head of the things to make sure I do before I call pull. Last week at league I called for a bird with "Three". Everyone looked at me and we had a great laugh. Fortunately I did break the bird.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I can't even tell what my call is I don't pay attention to it. I try make every effort to concentrate on the target. This make it almost impossible to pay any attention to my call.

Bob Lawless

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The circuitry of the Canterbury system, and likely others too, requires a call that has a certain time duration. This is to avoid triggering on little ambient noises.

I have noticed that short calls much more frequently get a "no target" than longer drawn out calls.

I am still finishing my PUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLL..call when I pull the trigger.

This Works for me. Short breath pops or grunts tend to make me jerky, so I evolved to what I have now.

HM

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

CVR units are level sensitive not duration sensitive. That's why a single tap on the mic stand with your barrel will throw a target.

Eric

8. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

There has been much written on how one's call can affect their shooting. Generally, the authors wrote how a word starting with a "hard consonant" (e.g. Pull) would tend to cause more head movement than a word starting with a "soft consonant" (e.g. Hup or Hah) which in turn would adversely affect the shooter.

I switched to using "hup" and I have to admit I saw an improvement, but of course when your average is 1 anything is an improvemnt....lol. Seriously, it did help alot.

JMHO
    Jim C

9. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

My scores went up when I stopped using the word "PULL" and started saying "TOW".

Someone noticed that saying "PULL" caused my cheek to puff out and push my gun stock to the right so the pad was not firmly in my shoulder pocket when the target appeared. Switching to a sound that didn't require filling my cheeks with air made a difference.

Carol Lister

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I started by calling "Pull".

I was advised to go with "Yeah" a year and half ago.

I was surprised how such a simple change to my shot routine screwed me up for a while. But then I am not very bright, or I would not be shooting this silly game.

Don Verna

11. JRW

JRW Member

I would say thata change in your call at the wrong time could distract a shooter. I use PULL and now and then my voice goes to a different tone and while I break most birds, I do miss while thinking where did that sound come from? Jerry

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I think I say yaaugghha when I call for a target. When shooting poorly, I have called "lost" and even a few other words that would embarrass me to write on this site.

Pat Ireland

13. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've scored for 30 years and seems like a pattern developes as follows: (1) bad call from the start results in a no target; (2) the shooter fails to restart his routine and keeps the gun mounted; (3) the bird appears; and, (4) a missed target. Generally it all starts with the bad call. It happens so frequent that my pencil has started to mark a circle on the scoresheet. BT-100dc

14. al.brown

al.brown TS Member

I know exactly how you feel. al.brown

15. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

The call

16. Bigbird

Bigbird TS Member

I love the Einsteins that get no bird on their call, then say Pull & get a bird but don't shoot & then use their original call again! 3 calls to shoot 1 bird.

17. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I am hard of hearing and cannot reliably tell how loud or soft my own Call is. In an attempt to slow down I changed my Call to a longer drawn out HO until I let go of the release trigger. This helped to slow down but I also got enough slow pulls that I had to revert back to a shorter more aggressive Call.

18. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

"Yah-ah"! Da svedish vedding call before mating

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Level yes. One input has to be higher than the rest to avoid triggering from ambient.

I have seen so many short duration call malfunctions (loud, too)I have to believe there is a time parameter.

Only the circuit designer knows for sure.

Try a turkey slate and rod call on it once. Or a click from a castanet.

HM

20. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Halfmile,

There is no duration parameter on Canterburys. Each mic is interconected to the others electronicaly. If one mic "hears" a call it "asks" the others if they heard it at the same db level. If the other 4 say "no" it throws a target. Of course this happens at light speed so there is no delay other than the .3 second delay built in to mimic a human puller.

With this system CVR has eliminated false releases by gunfire from other fields. The Outers system uses a time parameter to accomplish this, so you need a longer call.

Loud calls can be misinterpreted by CVR systems as background noise as 2 mics can pick up the sound and cancel each other out. Windy days cause the ambient level of sound to go up so you need to call a bit louder to compensate for wind noise.

From my experience (selling and servicing CVR's for 10 years) most missed calls are due to the shooter calling too quickly after the previous shooter. There is a 1.9 second shut down of the CVR after a target is released to allow the auto trap (or the human loader) to re-cock and reload the machine. A fast squad will get ahead of this timing and sooner or later someone gets a "no bird". If the machine is in shut down mode your call is irrelevant...

Hope this helps a bit,

Bob Schultz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.