1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Your "best" and "worst" trap guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Jul 9, 2013.

1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed the thread regarding where the Guerini ranks on the food chain, and instead of hijacking that thread, I'd like to ask you this question:
    Of all the trap guns you have owned (not heard about from a friend), which are the best trap guns and why?
    And the worst, and again, "why".
    No right or wrong answers as long as they are based on actual experience.
    Thanks for playing along, this should be interesting and informative.
    My own limited experience would put the BT99 on top, not because they are the ultimate, but because we all have owned them and they are a dead-nuts reliable gun that has started more trap shooters that any others.
    Never had a problem with the Ljutics and the Beretta is treating me well too, but my experience is limited.
    On the other end I have a Renato Gamba that seems like a nice gun but has probably died due to broken and unavailable parts.
    dju

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Your

My best was a Beretta ASE90 trap combo...worst Perazzi MX10..it should have came with a catch bag to corral all the broken stuff falling out of it

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Your

Best = Kreigoff K80, Browning Broadway, Beretta 391, Remington 870

Worst = SKB, Baikal, Tristar

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Your

Best is my Kolar combo, worst was a Remington 3200, great gun, but it's POI was not where you were aiming.

5. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Your

My best is a Perazzi MX8 Combo set.

My worse was an old used Remington 870. I shot it so much (hunting & clay birds) that the rear top of the bolt made a deep depression into the receiver. The bolt had too much rattle in it from the damage from the bolt banging on the top of the receiver from the inside. Wrote to Remington and was asked to send it to them. The replaced it for free as they say it was out of specification. I just starting trap shooting then and quickly changed over to a Browning BT-99 in 1978. I still have the BT-99 and it's a true workhorse that is reliable and easy to shoot good scores with for me. Duane

6. wrd

wrd Member

Your

I thought my BT 99 was the best thing since sliced bread. Then I bought a BT 100. Awesome! I wish that I was as good as the gun. 7/8 oz #8 @ 1250. Nothing but smoke and it never misses. But, I do.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Your

Best and also most consistent gun I ever owned was an old style bt99 made prior to 1976. Great gun, right poi for my style of shooting. Only problem was I'm left handed and at the time that I owned one adjustable stocks were not to my knowledge even available. Also the one I owned had a right hand stock and I'm left handed and at the time I never heard of anyone bending stocks.

(WORST GUN I EVER OWNED) = Remington 3200 trap. Fit me like a glove, could not hit a thing with it. Way to heavy for me too. I patterned the gun and it shot extremely high for my style of shooting even though when I mounted the gun I saw bead on bead.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

8. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Your

So we have a worst vote for a Perazzi MX10 and a best vote for an MX8. Not being a P-gun guy, what's the difference?
    dju

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Your

The best in my opinion is Perazzi. I have one that I have put 300-400k rounds through and its great. Have owned 5 or 6 and currently shoot a SCO.

The only gun I regret selling was a 3200 1 of 1000 trap. Great gun.

I would rate CG somewhere below Tristar and Higlu. Don't like them. Lipstick on a pig. Avoid them like the plague.

T

10. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Your

Worst trap gun I ever bought was a Remington 11-87 Trap, that had been shot (probably in the rain) and put away dirty. The feed latch was missing, it had a left hand trigger in it, the barrel was frozen to the magazine. It had a high Simmons rib on a barrel that someone had bent, and I found out later it shot low and left. I paid $400 for it, but it did have an early Soft Touch system on it. I cleaned it, replaced parts, including a new trigger and barrel, and got it back to working. I am probably still upside down in it, but it was a fun rescue and restoration. Mark

11. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Your

Best gun, by far, Alfermann Silver Dollar special. Worst was a Winchester 101 - it kicked like a mule!

jtbenson thanked this.
  12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Your

mx10 has high adjustable ribs and mx8 is low fixed rib ..but receivers the same...my trouble were the triggers coming apart and hammer springs breaking...I know mine was a lemon but soured me greatly after spending 12k on a gun that never could do more than 1000rds between breakdowns and that's after "pro"Perazzi 'smiths swore it was fixed

13. extrapper84

extrapper84 Member

Your

Best shooter I ever owned.... Perazzi MX3 combo.

Traded it for a vet car is long gone. Gun is still smoking targets.

I sure miss the gun.

Hal

ps; worst was a ill fitting Winchester 101.

14. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

Your

The Best 1100 & 11-87 never saw a reason to change. Good Shooting

15. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Your

My best is a KX-5 everything else well lets just say yea

16. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Your

Best--- K-80 with 34" unsingle barrel for handicap targets.

Worst-- K-80 with 32" double barrels. Shot higher than Mt. Everest. Sold the
    double barrels and bought a browning XT for singles and doubles.

Lived happily ever after.

17. OhioSkeetShooter

OhioSkeetShooter Member

Your

Well, I'm not a good trap shooter so I'll thrown my .02 cents worth in for skeet guns and then put my experience with trap guns afterwards.

Best I've ever shot in skeet was with my current skeet gun, a 3200
    Competition Skeet and Briley tubes. With a Rod's Custom Stocks, adj. pad plate and 4 way comb it fits me extremely well. Just shot a 93 in doubles skeet the other day with it. And my best ever score out of 100 is 94. (Only been shooting seriously for 2 years).

Worst gun I've shot was a Browning Citori, they just don't fit me well. Feels bulky and rattle-trap-ish. Also the checkering and my hand don't like each other, as well as the feel with the fore-end. Best I've shot with a Citori is in the 70/100 range.

Now for trap.

Best I ever shot was a BT-99 Micro (when I was 13), and I shot a 45/50 at Black Wing Shooting Center's trap league.

Worst I've shot was my field 870, after being used to floating targets I just couldn't get to the point of not floating a trap target, best I've shot with my 870 was a 38/50. Yet, I do pretty well on Upland game.

Break em' all.

-Wes

18. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Your

Best Silver Seitz

Worst anything with choke tubes.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Your

I'm shooting the best ones I've had...a Ljutic 73 and a Browning Superposed ST-100. The only one I've owned and couldn't shoot was a 2nd gen, BT-99. I found it too light. I've shot my 870's well and my orignal 101 Broadway was just fine too..

Ron Burr

20. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Your

Best mx-14 worst 90t hpar. Built like a tank and had the same weight!

Search tags for this page

best gun a remington 3200 or a browning bt-99

krieghoff kx6 forearm is loose

worst guns for trap

worst trap gun

worst trap guns

worst trap shoot

worst trap shooting guns

worst trap shotshell