1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? Your able to offer $100,000. How would you....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Captain Bud, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

First off, thank you to Bill and Leann Martin for thier generous offering to the trap shooting people at "The Grand". I meet Bill in the 90's and he is a very nice and good person. Usually with a big smile on his face. He truly loves trap shooting.

so now for all the folks that think in thier own way.....

OK, you have the ability to put up $100,000.00 for a shoot.

Knowing how all of us want to be fair and even more fair to all the shooters out there (opps, I bite mythh tongue), (it's stuck in my cheek). So, how would you do it?

Me, (Based on 9 handicap events) I'd give $5k to each champion and $3k to each r/u in each of the handicap events. They would also get an invite to shoot for $27.5k against all other handicap winners and runner-ups at the end of the competition.

And only in the shoot-off would I require new ammo be given to each shooter at each field for immediate use in the final (27.5k) competition. ($500.00 for the ammo for the competition).

By the way, I'm not doing any donating of this amount unless the stock market brings me many buckets of money.

So what would be your (well informed, politically correct, intelligent or dumb-A$$) way to do it? Flame on.....

Phil

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Phil.... I would award it just as the Martins are doing with only one exception.

The winner of each of the 9 handicaps would have a shot at it by way of a shoot off. If a shooter won more than one of the handicaps, that would narrow the field down accordingly. I would not let a runner up shoot for it since this purse is for the handicap winners only. (the best of the best, you know) The total $100,000 would be awarded to the last man standing after the shoot offs....

Just my preference.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I would pay for all entry fees and all shells to make the Grand American Handicap a completely free shoot to whoever wanted to participate. If that happened, it might improve the overall attendance and make for some pretty high option payoffs at least for the Grand itself.

Mark Rounds

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Carl,

There you go. Spreading the wealth. Are you an Obamanite?

BTW, You will be $10,000 short. - Just a like a Democrat to run a deficit in the first year.

No problem, the ATA will cover it out of the shell profits. OOPS, reloads allowed - oh well!

Don Verna

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Many ATA members are able only Mr. Martin is willing. After the trash put forth on ts.com it is easy to see why so few are willing. Mr. Martin's plan will generate far more good publicity than all of the others combined. If there is anything shooting sports needs now it is favorable publicity.

jim brown

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I think that anyone who don't like the way Bill and LeAnn Martin want it done should put up their own $100,000 and distribute it any way you would like to ... Opinions are like (you know) everybody has one ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Or, they could just stay home. I suspect many will.

EE

8. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

some interesting thoughts, keep them coming...

Phil

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Please enclose your cashiers check with your thoughts.

jim brown

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

A pure BS Thread. A absolute insult to the Martins and their gift.

Don

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

If I were to donate $100,000, it might go to the ATA Hall of Fame, my local club or the Salvation Army. After reading many of the threads on the donation that was made, I would not give it to shooters at the Grand. Some seem to be a very ungrateful lot and just a few rotten apples will spoil the basket.

Pat Ireland

12. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Realistically there are many good ways to donate money to the ATA for the betterment of the sport. Several have been mentioned.

An couple ideas I have not heard:

1. An average based competition. In other words, to be able to compete for the "FREE" prize money, a shooter must have maintained an average of say 92% for the last 2000 targets. I could see a bunch of people practicing throughout the year to maintain that kind of average, and I can also see a bunch of people mad for not being able to compete for the "FREE" money.

2. All 27 yard competition. Now before you start foaming at the mouth, read further. All competitors must shoot from the back fence. All entries fees and shells are free. There is no cost to the participant to enter for the "FREE" money. Just show up and shoot at a chance to win.

Of couse further donations would have to be acquired to cover targets and shells, but given the fact that a good marketer has a year in advance to complete the project, I see the possibility of this kind of format not to hard to pull off.

I have absolutely no idea how someone could be angry over this format.

Mark Rounds

13. Hauser

Hauser Member

The ATA is a big tent organization. At its core it’s an organization that is based on competition, however it offers tremendous flexibility on how you can compete.

If you are a member you can chose many different venues and ways to compete. Local shoots, state shoots zone shoots, satellite grands and the Grand American.

You can spend as much or as little as you desire on your equipment. No one cares if you’re shooting a $200 Mossberg or a $30,000 dollar high-end gun. The only thing the ATA requires is that your membership is current and you follow the rules.

You can be a zealous, I want to be an All American competitor, or an occasional shooter that competes just for the fellowship of shooting and spending some time with your friends. You can shoot for state or national honors or just shoot against yourself.

With all this organization offers why is it some people on this site feel they are entitled to part of a donated prize pool simply because they are “average shooters”.

The sport is based on competition and if you are an average shooter and complain you don’t have a chance at winning the $100K and think its unfair the way the money is distributed may I suggest one of three options.

1) Find a niche in the sport that fits your skill level and lifestyle, there are more than enough available.

2) Get better.

3) If you can’t shoot a winning score shut the hell up. No one is entitled to this money it has to be earned.

Jerry Hauser

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Just as Bill requested, the 9 event winners in a heads-up contest at the end! The pucker factor with the cameras rolling will be an exciting event! This is the kind of publicity and excitement our sport needs to convey to the rest of the country! This won't be on the scale of watching grass grow either for the spectators!!

Hap

15. trucker1

trucker1 TS Member

it is Bill`s money.shut up and let him do what he wants yo do.you put up the same money then do it you way.if not just shut the hell up and be happy Bill is doing more then any one to help this sport.Jim

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Anyone want to guess how many hours this $100,000 Shootoff will take?
    Anyone even know the format?? One lost target and you're out? Best score after 25, or 250 or 2500 targets?
    Who pays for the 10,000 targets that will be thrown in the Shoot-off? Who pays for the ammo shot during the Shoot-off? Be interesting.

17. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Perhaps we ought to start our version of on-line betting for the 5 or 6 who could possibly win this winner take all event?

blade819

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Aww Jeeese! More BS from those that never had any intention of going to the Grand and those that don't have a snowball's chance of winning!

Like was previously said ... why not make your own donation ... then you cqan specify how it will be done ... then sit back and watch the bitching that will follow!

What a bunch of cry babies!

19. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Nascar had rules to compete with, and so does the NHRA,so whats the big deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have to buy fuel from SUNOCO, and NHRA case you have to run fuel that is approved for use.If I fly from Alaska down to the grand I have to buy shells to compete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.