1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Young Sportsmen Take Advantage of Nice Weathe

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998

Young Sportsmen Take Advantage of Nice Weather - Iowa

For the first time in more than five years, the weather was a pleasant surprise at this year's state trap shooting event in Cedar Falls.

"Normal high school kids, if it's raining, roll over and go back to sleep. Today is nice, that did help out our attendance," said Ken Rogers with the Cedar Falls Gun Club.

Nearly 400 8th through 12th graders took aim, shooting 50 rounds for individual and team scores. Boys champion Zach Davis of Mason City started shooting when he was nine. He definitely wasn't expecting the sun this weekend.

"A lot of times it's pretty bad down here, I don't know why, just luck," he said.

In a sport like trap shooting, weather can be a big factor. The event is only cancelled because of lightning.

"This is a very mental game. The concentration level has to be extremely high to keep focused on the target," said Rogers.

Linn-Mar 11th grader and girls champion Chandal Granquist is a veteran, and knew to expect the worst.

"It kinda gets in your mind, the weather elements. You try to over compensate sometimes," she said.

For the most part, the weather was great, but one complaint... the wind.

"I prefer there be no wind, but it's still better than what we've been shooting in. Nothing compared to 10 degrees and snowing," said Zach Scheibe with Maquoketa.

In their first tournament here, Maquoketa's all freshman team prevailed over the wind to a fourth place finish. Organizers can only hope for more of the same weather... or even a little better... for next year.

Content Copyright KWWL TV 2007
  2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Naperville, IL
    Nice to see positive press for a shooting sport. My nephew want to go to college on a shooting scholarship. He just might do it too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.