1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Young Shooters Needed in ATA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perazzi_MX8, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

We all know that new shooters are needed in our sport. What do you think is the best way to introduce young and new shooters? Our sport has a long tradition that I hope can be passed on better than we found it.

I joined the ATA after getting out of the Army in the 70's. I was introduced to it by an old trap shooter who let me shoot his gun and shells for a round of trap. I was hooked right then. How did you start?

Food for thought....I got out of the Army and couldn't buy .22 shells at my local Gun-shop. I had to have my Mom come back with me because they could be used in a handgun and I was 20 and not old enough to buy them, on my own. I wish the Sub-Junior ranks were the largest category in the ATA!

Duane Nicholson

2. RayReys

RayReys Member

I'm under 30, so I'm pretty sure I count as young still... ;)

Shot my first shotgun when I was 12 or 13 - an 11-87 during the hunter safety course out at Raahauges in So Cal. Don't remember that much, but I do know that within a year or so, my dad (who was very supportive of me getting into the shooting sports even though he wasn't all that into it) got me an 20ga 870 Express as a present.

For the next ten years or so, only made it out to the trap fields a few times a year, and there were times when that 870 didn't see the light of day for more than a year. But oh were those times fun. Fell in love with trap then, and still love it now. Shoot much more than I used to (finishing college and working full time helps :p)

It would be nice to have a few more 'youngins' my age down to the sub juniors compete, whether it be clubs, ATA, NSCA, etc...although there are quite a few more kids competing in NSCA than from what I see in trap...

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's all about the money, and single mothers, and Bambi, and computer games, and girls or boys, and cars. and, and, and, and.......wait until they are about 45 years old with some bucks to spend.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Shorten the games and events....

Have them shoot 150's ( big 50 singles, dbls, caps) instead of dragged out all day affairs...

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Do it the old-fashioned way...but having their daddies and grand-daddies buy it for them. That works...for a few years.

6. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Sub juniors should have a one time $ 5 membership for as long as they are sub jrs.

And I like the idea of 50 bird events for them too. It would cut the cost in half. I think if it was an option, perhaps it would get some more kids interested.

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

If you want young shooters copy the Nebraska Cornhusker system. Most of our smaller registered shoots well have a couple of squads of young shooters. Takes some time and work but it produces.

jim brown

8. RLC323

RLC323 Member

If we are wishing. I would rather have a bunch of wealthy 35-55 year old professionals with money to burn.

They will play all the options, lose gracefully, case their new Perazzis, and drive off in their BMWs.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hell, RLC, we've got juniors doing that now!

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Jim, now that's funny!!!

JK

11. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Hello All,
    I am an assistant coach for one of the local trap teams in the Sparta Area. We have one of the smaller teams and today 8 of our kids shot at the Fall Classic. Our kids shot a shortened event of 100 singles. The problem is not the length of the event, or even the motivation of the kids. The problem is the cost of shells, guns and fees. Eight kids x registration, practice rounds, ISTA fee, and 4 cases of shells is over $500. I talked to one of the larger team coaches. They expect to spend about $1,000 each year per kid. This is excluding guns and personal equipment.
    We have it relatively cheap, Sparta is in our backyard. For an out of state team, start adding transportation, meals and lodging. If the ATA does an event with reduced fees, thats great, but before that kid gets a chance to shoot a registered target, the parents are already in for a pretty penny.
    I don't think the majority of ATA members want to subsidize the cost of young shooters, things are tough all over. What would help? My guess would be $400 BT-99's. Once a kid rolls his/her first 25 straight, they will stay, buy that Perazzi, Pilla glasses, and shoot the Federal papers. They have to get hooked first.

just my 2 cents,

Todd

12. ky4some

ky4some Member

It's not just about getting the kid hooked. Getting the parent or parents involved is important too because they are the ones paying for the equipment and fees. It's about getting the parents excited to watch their kid. That's what happened to us. My son got involved in a great youth program and he quickly fell in love with the sport. As parents we started to enjoy watching him shoot as much as he enjoyed shooting. And then I began shooting a bit too.

So the moral of the story is take a kid and his dad (or his mom) to your club and let them shoot with you. But don't stop there. Invite them to join you for a decent shoot somewhere. Introduce them to the ATA and registered shooting. Help them understand how to enter and squad. Show them the ropes so to speak.

And yeah, I definitely agree with todddietrich, $400 BT-99's would help a bunch. Maybe all the "old" trapshooters who have a BT-99 hiding in a safe somewhere should sell it to a new shooter, young or old, for $400.00. I know that sounds like a ridiculous idea but it really would help. Okay maybe not for $400 but I do have to admit that the way trap guns hold there value makes it tough for someone to get into the game at a reasonable level.

Mike Kamer

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have been a trap shooter for the past 42 years. Once the parents or grandparent's stop paying for the shells and entry fee most kids can no longer afford the game. I have only seen maybe 5 or 6 kids continue in the sport after the free ride is over.

To me, we need to enlist the over 40 crowd to get into the sport as they might be able to afford it. If we could just tap into the large percentage of hunters in this country.

Some say that trapshooting is a very expensive sport, but in reality I really don't know of any sport nowadays that is cheap? Go to any shoot and you will see a lot of gray haired people walking around and shooting.

I will always remember a very well to do shooter that I over heard at a tournament years ago, as he said we need to get rid of the rift raft in our sport as it was originally intended just for the upper class.

Sorry to say his wish maybe coming true.
    Steve Balistreri

14. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

One of the single most effective things that could be done is to stop a bunch of old geezers from treating any new guys, young or old, like they just caught them banging their favorite dog.
    Also, the " if it isnt a K80 you should be run off" attitude doest help.
    Yes, I know YOUR club isnt like that.....right?

EdH

15. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

when is the last time you saw someone SMILE at a gunclub or even in a gunshop,as you came in?? or you were asked "do you need anything" or "you doing all right"- w/ a friendly tone? --
    --- setting aside the $'s spent issue-- the comment about parents being the key -is DEADON!!!!
    trapclubs are alil bit like old churchs-- top heavy with older members who want more members, but rarely greet anyone coming in or never bring anyone themselves!!--
    its hard for me to understand how you can ask for new members , when your own family doesnt want to go with you to a gunclub or church service!?? cuz they dont see the value and dont feel comfortable!
    go to a highschool sports event and have noone cheer or even yell from the bleachers ---BORING!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.