1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You will know when it's time to hang it up!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

You will know when it

Hello:
    I have decided that it's time to stop shooting competitively. No more ATA, no more 30 birds etc. Plain and simple, I knew this day was coming for a long time. I was never an above average shooter, but once in awhile I could be competitive in my class.

With medical problems, very little to no shooting talent, it became very apparent that I just shoot practice in the future. I will still go to the 30 bird events at area clubs just to see my shooting friends, but I will just shoot practice.

If there is a special charity shoot, or a club shoot I will most likely shoot the event, but for the most part my days of shooting for money are over. Like any one in sports, you know when it's time. I hurt my hip and standing for a round of trap is to much. I have pickerd out a nice sturdy stool, and I am now set.

Yesterday, I shot 50 16 yard practice targets with scores of 19, and 20. I have no regets as I still love this sport, but it's time to admit, to just shoot practice targets.

Have any of you reached this point that your shooting for money are days long gone? Was it difficult to admit, you were no longer competitive?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Shooting PRACTICE? Practice for what if you are not going to shoot competitively? I do the same on Thurs. mornings with the other retired guys but i'm not practicing for anything, I just shoot for the fun of it. It is fun. Bulge.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have been shooting trap for 45 years now and never going to give it up if I can help it. I don't win much any more but I still enjoy the leagues. I shoot on 3 of them. I still love to beat one of the young hot shots every once and a while. Still makes my day. I shot with a guy, 85 years old, this summer. We had to move his chair every station, but he shot every week. He took second place. "NEVER GIVE UP"

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I shoot a lot of practice to try things out and have about as much fun doing that as competing most of the time.

Shooting practice is not "hanging it up," Steve; it's just concentrating on the part of the game you like best. As long as you are pulling the trigger, you are still in the game.

We do this for fun and fun is wherever we find it.

Neil

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Count me in, Stephano. Physical problems after 70 has me unable to shoot more than 50 or 75 at a time of any type but I still dabble as described by Sir Neil. Well stated Neil.....breakemall

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I did that about 2 years ago. I missm some of the trips we went on to neighboring states and the people I knew from so many different clubs. I don't miss the waiting around and the interminable delays. I still love to shoot and do so as often as I can. I actually think I am having more fun without the pressure of having to be at a specific place at a certain time. The gun still goes "bang" and the targets still break usually or at least often enough to keep me interested.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Help out at the gun club. Shoot when you get the urge. Satchel Paige said "Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you".

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Shooting for the pure enjoyment of shooting. I compete with myself no need to add pressuer or deal with sandbaggers.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, Listen to Neil!!! Never say die!!! Just keep pulling that trigger!!! Doing the best you can is all anyone can do. Have fun and break em all. Jeff

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Steve, no one can say it any better than Neil did. I do expect you will have some time to put your book together. :)

11. senior smoke

I'm in the library, good advice by all.
    Steve

12. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Every time I shot it was practice. I shoot to break the target not to win money.
    Some times I really look impressive and most times I don't. I like to shoulder my Dad's model 12, oil it up with my special oil that he used on it and put it back in the case. I never shoot it. I like to watch other shooters shoot, especially my good friend, who is very,very good. I only beat him once ever. Keep shooting,
    have fun, make your own enjoyment, at least review your memories of shooting while your memory still functions. We had no power yesterday with all the snow and nobody brought a hand trap so did not shoot. Still took out the shotgun and shouldered it, oiled it , put it back. Next week my deaf ears hear it shoot and my body feels the recoil and my nose smells the smoke and my eyes see some dust.

Regards,

Harry

13. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I shot competitive skeet for 20 years, and I won some big shoots, including the Nationals. I swore I would never shoot trap because it was for "old men." Well, now I'm 66, and cancer hit me 4 years ago, and I am one of those 'old men." I took up trap a year ago, and really love it. I shoot 4 days a week at local clubs, coffee and lunch (and lies) with my buddies, and every 25 straight is a thrill. I hope that I can still hobble out to the line and pull the trigger when I'm 85.

Smoke 'em.
    Mike

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

At 72, I did it all, Plane trips to the Southwest, 2 weeks of nothing but shooting, and I loved every bit of it. I still shoot 50 bird Lewis shoots, and evening leagues in our area still keeps me happy.

Open rounds 2X a week too. If the weather sucks there is always coffe and lies.

HM

15. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Ha ,shooting for money is just plain silly.Sorry,just MHO>.
    Shoot for your SOUL man!!
    Shoot for beer with compadres.
    Shoot for meals with compadres.
    Shoot for funny ha-ha`s.
    Shoot for a penny,no more.
    I`m 43YO,no ATA,dont gamble,I shoot for my SOUL, and no others.

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You will know when it

Steve,

You have retired(quit shooting trap) on here more than Brett Favre and his NFL retirements. LOL

17. senior smoke

U. S. Marine Retired:
    My father was the only man that I ever knew thaT WOULD CALL A RESTURANT BEFORE HE CAME TO IT AND TELL THEM WHAT TIME HE'D BE THEIR AND WHAT HE WANTED TO EAT, AND HE WANTED HIS FOOD ALl READY ON THE TABLE AS HE WALKED IN.
    Steve

grntitan:
    That is funny, made my day.
    Steve

18. senior smoke

My father use to tell me when I was a kid that if you have your health nothing else matters. Once again, he was correct. I miss my days of traveling with friends to shoot ATA.
    Steve

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Steve,

Glad you caught the humor in that. You can't quit shoot'n trap because you like it too much. Just lose the pressure part associated with always trying to win and just enjoy. I wish i had found the sport sooner as now i have health issues that limits me from shooting and enjoying like i want too.

Matt

20. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Guys, don't believe that old "Hang It Up" baloney. He just needs to find a little more time for the co-eds.

I bet he aces Comparative Anatomy this semester.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to know when to hang it up