1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

....you were saying, Mr. Edwards?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards told a labor group Tuesday that he would ask Americans to make a big sacrifice: their sport utility vehicles.

“I think Americans are actually willing to sacrifice,” Edwards said during a forum held by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. “One of the things they should be asked to do is drive more fuel efficient vehicles.”

The former North Carolina senator was asked specifically if he would tell them to give up their SUVS, he said, “Yes.”

[​IMG]

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's simple. SUVs are the politically correct whipping boys for the green movement. It doesn't matter that many SUVs get better gas mileage than many cars. These slimey liberal politicians are pandering to people who are too damn stupid to think for themselves, and can only chant the soundbites they've been spoonfed by the mass media.

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

sadly...if you support a republican or a democrat I think you fall guilty to being "people who are too damn stupid to think for themselves, and can only chant the soundbites they've been spoonfed by the mass media."

VOTE ANYTHING BUT DEMOCRAT & REPUBLICAN. SEND D.C. A MESSAGE!

4. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

and 8 years of bush...doubly screwed.

5. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

it was waged on us the day we decided to step into muslim land & dictate to them what to do with their resources. When we decided to prop up dictatorships like with Saddam Hussein and Shah Reza Pahlavi. When we curry favor from the Saudi Princes. Everyone has forgotten those days...conveniently. But hey...we had to have some place to offload those old & unused weapons we keep making...right?

We can continue treating the symptoms...or we can take an honest look at the true cause.

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Revsublime - While you are correct in some of your statements, nothing of which you cite happened in a vacuum. The Shah of Iran, and his predecessors were allied to the west during WWII, and provided vital supplies and bases of operations during the war. As political fortunes changed in the Middle East, it was necessary to support Saddam Hussein against Iran, because of the regime changes in Iran in 1979.

All of the Muslim Middle East has been up in arms for the past 59 years, or since Israel became a nation. Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East, and they have unflinchingly supported the U.S. in the area.

After WWI, it was the British, French, Dutch, and other victorious countries, who helped carve up the native populations in the region, by creating the artificial country of Iraq.

Economic pressure is war without bloodshed. The U.S. probably erred greatly for not using gunboat diplomacy with Iran in the early 1970's. However, a liberal Congress, after legislating defeat in Viet Nam, never looked beyond getting Richard Nixon impeached. As a result, we ignored events in the Middle East, and completely lost all intelligence assets as a result of the Church hearings. Coupled with the incompetence of CIA Director Admiral Stansfield Turner, and President Jimmie Carter, we lost strategic information in most every area of the world. This included the USSR, China, and South America.

As to those "old & unsused weapons we keep making", the Russians and Chinese did okay in the 1960's - 1980's, by selling millions of AK-47's, MIG's, and T-72's.

Best,
    Dennis

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Brian ... how do we know that Xterra is Mr Edwards vehicle? Maybe the SUV by the garage is Mr Edwards and should be the one circled.

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

you'd think that the cheap bastard would spend a little on landscaping.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"What's with these idiots and their SUV fetish?"

I am all for personal choice. However, I consider it absurd for someone who drives a 6000 pound Denali SUV to work 15 miles a day and/or uses it to get the groceries and take the kids to the soccer games, when there are far more fuel efficient, practical vehicles available.

You can drive what you want, and it doesn't have to be sensible. Wasting gasoline for personal comfort/to show your conspicuous consumption is short-sighted in my opinion.

"They are too damn stupid to know that there are thousands of SUVs that get as good gas mileage as sedan automobiles!"

Not as a general rule. We Americans seem to have this penchant for wanting V8's when 4-bangers would do. Again, personal choice. Just not with much foresight.

"They don't seem to understand that there are thousands of the BIG TRUCKS spewing out black smoke and eating up fuel at the rate of 3mpg!"

Those trucks are also carrying 40,000 pounds of payload from one business to another, and probably weigh nearly 40,000 pounds empty in order to be able to deliver that payload reliably and safely. What's your better idea for transporting those goods? Even if you use more efficient means such as rail delivery, you still need to get the goods from the train to the business.

10. DJM

DJM Member

The professional drivers operating those big rigs are either excellant drivers or no longer employed. The insurance companies see to that. Let's do the math on a road truck getting 4-5 miles/gallon hauling 27 pallets of food weighing 42,000 lbs vs your 17 mpg SUV hauling 8 bags of grogeries weighing 100 lbs. Who is the most fuel efficient? tmmb99 had an excellant question, I was hoping to hear an answer. Don Miller

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Geez jcl,

You've got a real burr in your saddle for truck drivers. What, did one kick your ass once?

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Maybe his daddy was one and his momma just aint sure which one it was?

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Most of the truck drivers I have been around, and that's quite a few, are excellent drivers. They have to be. Its their job. Its what they do, day in, day out. If they suck at their job they get canned. They drive more miles and hours in a day than most folks drive in a week. All the ones I know have excellent driving records, few have been involved in accidents, though speeding tickets are an occupational hazard. Though truth be known, if you drove as many miles in a year as they do, I'm willing to bet you'd be involved in more accidents than you are now.

Many of them are owner-operators, and for them, time is money, hence the speed they drive (and frankly, I have driven on I-29, I-70, and I-80 a lot, and I don't encounter semi's driving the speeds you mention.) Yeah, they go faster than me, but seldom in the 90 mph range.

Yes, semi's get horrible fuel economy. But the difference is they are delivering goods for economic gain, not delivering Susie to day care. Big difference. A typical semi load is 20 tons. If you've got a better idea for delivering all the goods truckers put in their trucks, I'd sure like to hear it.

Semi's eat a lot of gas because they're pulling a heavy load.

SUV's eat a lot of gas because Biff & Muffy want to ride in style.

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

Actually the newer big trucks get around 7-8 mpg hauling the stuff we have to have. About the same as Hillarys' armor plated limo hauling her fat azz.

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

JCL.........Tell us, what do you do for a living? Most here on the web are courteous in their remarks but should we be judged by your remarks?

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And by the way, although I tend to lean towards not liking big SUV's because I believe as a country, we need to reduce our petroleum fuel consumption (and therefore also reduce our dependence on foreign petroleum and our rate of carbon emissions), again, I believe that's a personal choice.

But I agree 100% with Brian in Oregon.

If John Edwards is going to ask Americans to drive more fuel efficient vehicles, by damn, he better lead by example and get rid of his too! If you're going to talk the talk, you'd better walk the walk.

17. flylta

flylta TS Member

Looks like he could have a nice personal range in that backyard...

18. lightfoot

lightfoot TS Member

Just say NO to the hypocrite John Edwards!!!

I drive a SUV, but I hate the gas mileage. But in addition to my commute, and taking kids different places, which doesn't require a SUV, I also haul a boat, haul a camper, haul a trailer, and other crap. Use to do it with a GrandAM, but that wore out. Wish I could afford a second car just for commuting, but I'm not rich like Edwards. I do have a motorcycle that I try to ride when I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.