1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You say Trapshooting is expensive?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by The Kolar Kid, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I love to read about all the complaints about how expensive this hobby is and how guys are nuts to buy 10 thousand dollar shotguns! Well I happen to think trap is actually a good deal.

For example:
    Bass Fishing, 40k boat, truck to pull it with, 5k in rods and tackle, travel expenses to different lakes, etc..

Golf:
    Clubs to buy, Country Club membership, Travel, cart…

Skiing:
    Ski, boots, poles, fashion clothing, travel, hotels, lift tickets, etc

Diving:
    Boat, truck, travel, dive gear, etc

I’m sure ya’ll out there can point out many more examples of hobbies that could be less fun and you could spend way more money on.

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Trout fishing. Decent fly rod $250 bucks, reel $100, line, flies and various gear another $150, waders $150, boots $50. Now fish away. Standing in a stream is free. You will burn a bit of gas getting there. (Course, it is possible to take that float plane into that secret place in Alaska or British Colombia but that is a different story). Jake

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Jackaroo,

Trapshooting is like buy all that stuff you list, throw in the pond when your done, then buy all new next week. lol

4. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Entry fees for a big handicap event with options approx. $200.00 plus shells,,
    Wait half the day to shoot,, Its over in 45 minutes,,,

Bass tournament entry fee $200.00,, hit the water AT 6:AM and fish "ALL DAY",,

Now do you want to talk about how much you can win???? No comparison, and I've never seen a tie for first,,

See ya on the water,,,,

5. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

Have yet talked to a tournament Bass fisherman who said he was making big bucks fishing. In fact, all that I have talked to said they were darn lucky to break even at the end of the day after expenses. Mind you, I love to fish and I do allot.

And you are right that sometimes you wait half a day to shoot for 45 minites but I still love it. I just think all fun hobbies and such cost bucks. I have yet to find too many free hobbies or at least ones I like.

Trap is king to me.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Forget comparing competition-type entries, lets just compare practice... $3-5/round + reloaded shells = $6-$9/round/15 minutes x 6-8 rounds/day = $35-70/day of entertainment = pretty reasonable in comparison.

Jay

7. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

What ever the hobby it cost more per hr. than you earn. 20 years ago, people were leaving trap because you could shoot live birds for about what it cost to shoot 300 targets. If you won you got well. Today the PC has damned live bird shooting. This occured when the all knowing EC eliminated the GAH point system in handicap which paid back to the low 90's. I got paid for 95 over $350 just in purse money. I have since recieved $275 for a 98 from 27.

8. BMC

BMC Member

KK, there are points of perspective that you have to compare with, ones that are more closely related to reality.
    Example: You will only spend 40K on a bassboat if you want a one of those 20+ footer Rangers, Legends, Champion, etc. Most people don't spend that for a bass boat. (hint: I know the owner of the most succussful bass boat retail store in the area). I sold my 97 Champion 186DC Elite last year. It was in perfect shape. I bought it for 25K then. You can purchase an economical boat that will essentially many of, if not most of the same functions as a higher end boat, with the exception of power and ride, neither of which factor into the action of the end result -- fishin'.
    There are two presentations (and numerous variables) you have to consider if a person is going to present bass fishing as a comparison to trapshooting. First would be is the "bass fisherman" just a weekend line wetter? Meaning, every weekend he might troll up to the lake for a day to stick some green meanies? In other words, pleasure fishing. Or, is the comparsion with a competitive tournament angler who, given the time of year, can spend as many at two or three days a week on the water pre-fishing, including maybe two events each month? The financial results of such comparisons will yield quite different figures.
    The tangibles that can cross associate with trap shooting can in most cases become an even wash. The only difference between buying a 15K trap gun and a 30K bass boat is the monthly finance payment. For those who can afford to pay cash for either one, the reality is the cost to use the tool (gun vs. boat) is a mute point as the financial statistics of either one are largely irrelevant.
    But lets assume we are talking about common blue collar folks who finance their tool (boat/gun). They establish a reasonable payment for the tool that is within their means. (note: most people I know in the fishing tournament scene finance their rides while most people I know with a 10+K trap gun own them.)
    So lets scratch the cost of the tool due to variable inconsistencies that occur with each individual participant.
    Gear-I never had 5K worth of gear in my lockers. I kept 10 rigged G-Loomis/Falcon/Shimano rods each fit with Shimano Curado reels. Estimated replacement value was $2.5K. All of these were secured over a period of five years or there abouts so the costs can be deferred accordingly. While I had an army of tackle in the lockers, the sum of the tackle wouldn't have surpassed maybe $400-$500 to replace everything, and that is on the long end.
    Comparatively for trapshooting the shooter's "tackle and gear" as it were could include having stock work done, direct gun accessories, etc. As we know this could range from $400 to $1K or more depending on the person. Then we have glasses, vests, shell holders, cleaning gear, etc.

Now for the reality. We can safely take both examples and start from scratch because in many cases all of the above is paid for. What's done is done. We won't factor in the cost of the boat or the gun when we figure out how much it cost us to shoot or fish last weekend. So whether the tournament or pleasure bass angler, or the tournament or pleasure trap shooter's gear is financed or owned is a mute point. We want to know how do the two sports fair on the actual action expense end. The problem with drawing a conclusion is once again there are numerous variables. Example: Joe in Kentucky can haul his boat 10 miles to a lake that has no launch fee, and motor 2 miles to his favorite spot. So he spends approximately $15 in fuel to go from launch to spot to dock again. He uses his electric powered trolling motor when he is fishing. Now Jim in California generally on average has to haul his boat 30 miles on average to get to his lake. (there aren't as many lakes in california and the average distance is greater than many other areas of the nation). He has to spend $20 to launch (yes you read that right). And then travels the same distance to and fro to fish. Right off the bat, Jim has spent quite a lot more than Joe to fish. Both Jim and Joe spend the entire day fishing. 8+ hours. Their relative expenses for a day of pleasure sticking fish is fuel and whatever surcharges for launching, etc. The gear used is not factored in because we are talking "out of pocket to go fishing".
    Now both Jim and Joe are also avid trapshooters. Unlike Jim whose local shooting range is equal distance from his house as his lake is (30 mi), Joe has to drive further because trap ranges are scarce in his area. Joe and Jim's fuel costs have now equalized comparatively against the cost of fuel for either of them to fish one day. Now what is more realistically closer are the target costs. The fees will be within a dollar or two of one another. (based on what we routinely see mentioned as costs from members across the nation). The price of shells is largely the same, plus/minus $1 per box. The only difference will be how many boxes of shells will Jim and Joe shoot over the course of an 8-hour day of pleasure shooting? It would be easy to assume over that time period either shooter would/could shoot eight boxes. Eight boxes times lets say $6 a box equals $48 in ammo. I think we can safely assume the national average on a round of targets is in the vacinity of $6. Another $48 in target fees.
    So now Jim and Joe can and will spend close to $100 to shoot for eight hours, (excluding fuel costs), while either of the two spend far less than half of that to fish for eight hours.
    Okay, what about if Joe and Jim want to compete in an trap shooting event, as well as a bass fishing event. Cold daily expenses alone, both Jim and Joe will spend roughly the same amount on average for both trapshooting competition fees and tournament fees. (note: most of the tournament series here the entry fee is $125 for a team (2-people) plus options. If buying into most options, each team member will usually have to cough up about $100-$125, and stand a chance to win $1000-$5,000 if lady luck in on their side.
    Comparatively, to sign up for two large trap events in a day, plus options, a person can easily approach the same fee and option costs to shoot a registered competition as they do a fishing tournament. So excluding all of the equipment used in either sport that could be already paid for, and using the basis of what it costs our example fisherman/shooters, the fisherman can easily spend far less money for the same 8-hours of pleasure and competition.

Realistically, you don't need a 40K boat or a 15K gun to enjoy fishing or shooting. You don't need a locker full of $250 G-Loomis rods or those expensive $9 a box Federal Paper shells either. Many a fishing tournament and many a trapshooting event has been won by people using "budget" or "less costly" equipment to get the job done. You can't put a price on Skill, or luck.

I can tell you this because I have done both at the same time as hobbies. I spend more out of pocket daily money to shoot a day of trap versus fish a day on the lake. If I take my son to shoot, I will spend waaaaaay more to shoot than to fish. When it comes to tournaments it is about the same cost wise. Fuel expenses excluded. I should add that over the course of a year I would eventually earn in winnings, near the same amount as I paid to enter, and often be able to include tackle fees in that equasion too. I can't do that with trap shooting. But that is a final variable we have little control over.

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Whether I go golfing, shooting, hunting or fishing on a Saturday I will spend about the same amount of money. You can do all of them on the cheap or spend as much as you want on all of them. I have enjoyed all of them at some point in my life. I now enjoy hunting the most followed by shooting, then fishing, then golf. I am either shooting or hunting at least once a week throughout the year. When my wife gets mad about how much I spend I tell her she has two choices. I will quit work and quit hunting and shooting or I will keep working and keep hunting and shooting. So far I am still working and still hunting and shooting.

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Sex is definitely the most expensive hobby.

11. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I have basically quit most of my other hobbies to do this, that's how much I love trap. Used to fly RC airplanes, now there is some bucks right there. Still fish, still hunt, but all the other little things I used to do had to stop. Something has to give right. The thing I love about trap other than the challenge of shooting are the people. That right there keeps me coming back for more.

12. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Id didn't take the time to read all BMC had to say. But if we assessed him $1.00 for all over 100 words he would have to take up tiddlywinks. Did not know so much could be said without saying anthing. - Jim

13. DANFAM4

DANFAM4 TS Member

Spend your money doing what you enjoy! My father thinks I'm foolish for spending a couple grand on a shotgun. However, I just laughed at him when he told me he spent $52,000 for a new Skeeter bass boat. He does very well fishing on the tournament circuit so he will probably still get his money back before I do. I guess the only way to justify it is to look good even when you shoot bad.

14. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

BMC was just tryin to splane it to the rest of us.

Jackaroo, I told a buddy of mine that played golf the same thing. Step up to the first tee and open a new pack of them there special EXPENSIVE balls. Tee that bugger up and smack it 300 yards, right down the middle. Walk up to it and.. throw the ball away and take out a another one of them there expensive balls and hit that one. Do that EVERY time you take a swing. Then you will have some idea of what trapshooting is.

kolarkid, You love it that much huh? Ever write a check to the club on a Sunday and know that you HAD, I mean HAD, to win. HAD to win because you didn't have enough in the bank to cover the check. You want a challenge? Try that one a couple times. LOL

AJ100

15. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Somebody say Flyers?

$780.00 per day. That is unless you are a woman or a vet. Then the cost is a little different. BTW, this is per day. 3 day shoot. LOL

Don't start flaming, I DID NOT show where or when.

AJ

16. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

" Sex is definitely the most expensive hobby. "

Wow!! Elliot Spitzer is posting on TS.com.

17. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

AJ100,

I have to say that I have never "wrote a check to the club on a Sunday knowing that I HAD, I mean HAD, to win. HAD to win because you didn't have enough in the bank to cover the check" I have a real nice family and would never be that irresponsible with money. Lucky for me I make a very good living and can afford my hobby, I am blessed in many ways thanks to the good lord above.

Kolarkid

18. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

Expensive? Can you take it with you? Would you rather Uncle Sam or some stranger (like a son or daughter in law) spend your hard-earned money for you?

19. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Kid, I wasn't married then. I had a job in the mill here in SW PA. I spent every nickel on trap shooting. Four nights a week and every weekend. Every state shoot in the surrounding area and a week at the Grand.

BTW, When they were taking my picture at the Grand my first year there one of the old timers congratulated me on my score. I told him thank God I got thru it. He said God had nothing to do with me breaking that score, it was the time I spent shooting targets that helped me do it. He was right.

AJ100

20. 27 yrdz

27 yrdz TS Member

KK, you are very fortunate to have a job good enough to support your hobby, but it doesn't change the fact that it IS an expensive sport, and just because you do make the jingle required to sustain it doesn't mean everyone else has the same ....I shot for many years with proly the same passion or even more than you do now, I didn't quit because of the cost, but I still believed then as I do now that it IS an expensive sport and to compare it to golf , just shows you don't know much about golf .....I took up golf when I quit shooting and I haven't come close to spending as much on golf over the last 7 years combined as I spent on trapshooting just 1 year .......Jeff Blanton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is trap shooting expensive