Trapshooters Forum banner

You Really Should Go To Vernal

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Verodun 
#1 ·
Over the years I had heard so many things about Vernal that ranged from outrageous calcuttas, live bands, "invitation only" shoots, incredible miss and outs, and so many other things, but somehow none of this seemed to ever push me over the edge to go. I would hear from my friends how much fun they had, what great scores they shot (or others), but still......I didn't budge.

Finally, this year I broke down and went with my family and friends to the Western Grand, and I would like to share the experience. The calcutta amount was nothing special or out of the ordinary. There wasn't a band. There weren't any miss and outs, though there were 5 Annie Oakleys. And there was definitely plenty of open squads for people to shoot on.

What was there was one of the most relaxed, well ran, hospitable, generous Gun Clubs I have ever been to. I cannot even begin to express what a great job Sean and Stacey did running this shoot. Literally every part ran as smooth as silk. Even under the tremendous amount of duress they must have been to keep everything running and in order, they both took time to welcome us, talk with us, answer any questions, and make us feel at home. This club atmosphere reminded me of the good old days when you went to the club to see your friends, talk, socialize, and maybe shoot if you all felt like it? I have no doubts the reason the scores were so high was not because of perfect targets or weather conditions (it rained most of the day Sunday), but were because everyone was so relaxed and at ease, actually having fun at a shoot. Yes, it was a competition, but it seemed everybody was pulling for each other to do well. It is the way it should be.

The Martin's and Craig Hart's generosity are mind boggling. To see them on their home grounds, kicked back and relaxed,smiling, laughing, was like being in their backyard having a bar-b-que. This shoot felt more like a family reunion than a trapshoot.

So if you've ever been like me and been a bit intimidated by the Vernal reputation, I am telling you, let your guard down, drop your preconceived notions, and go to Vernal. I guarantee you won't regret it.

See less See more
#2 ·
colobiggun,
If you go in June, Yes there is a band or two, yes there is miss and out games and yes they roll out the red carpet with a meal and beverages every night. And how you described the rest is very accurate, very nice place and very friendly people, great club. Just do not go there thinking you are going to kick some butt, there are some mighty fine shooters there, mighty fine. Scott

#3 ·
Until you have planned and actually run a shoot, you just don't realize the amount of details that have to be organized. Sean and Stacy have made it look easy, but in reality it has been "fine tuned" from years of their very hard work and a total effort from many supporters. I hope to get back to Vernal next year, you won't fine a nicer bunch of shooters anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.