1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You Quit!! Can't Be That Bad?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kreith, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreith

kreith Member

I have an honest question. I am reading these recent threads and need to know some honest information. Everyone says that the cost of lead and components and a reloaded box is up to $4.50. How much was it for years. Have we really seen a spike in the prices until now? I look at it this way.

1. 4 rounds of practice - $3.00 - $5.00 round = $12-$20
    2. 4 boxes of STS - $5.49 = $21.96
    3. Gun = You own it anyway.

Total Cost = $33.96 - $41.96

Now depending on how fast you shoot, but if you shot every other squad and each squad takes 15 minutes roughly to complete, it would take you roughly 2 hours to finish.

Where else can you go and spend 2 hours doing something you love and hanging out with good friends for a couple of hours? On the golf course? By the time you are done with 9 hole greens fees, balls (a lot for me), beer (1 benefit of golf), probably a little snack; you will easily spend $30-$70. I'd rather spend my time at the range.

I think we all need to put this into perspective. Have you seen the price of milk, oranges, vegetables, bread, etc. They too have skyrocketed, but we didn't stop buying them and throw in the eating towel. I do understand that certain shooters live on a fixed budget and cannot afford these increases, but I really think we need to compare it to other hobbies we might enjoy. You will find that the costs really aren't too bad for something you enjoy.

Cory

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The above figures are for practice which is just that and don't count for anything ... The costs have gone up considerably and if you don't believe it add it all up at the end of the year and see for yourself (add all cost related to shooting, and do not be selective because you can make anything work on paper) ... Your reasoning isn't very accurate because you have to eat to survive but you do not have to shoot trap to survive ... Nice try, but not even close to reality ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Lit, you must be refering to the guys who drive to a State Shoot and shoot a couple rounds of practice. Later they tell everyone how high they would have placed if they would shoot registered birds.

Like I say-they practice for practice!!

4. bt99bill

bt99bill TS Member

Lit.
    Are you saying that if you don't shoot ATA, you just like shooting for fun you shouldn't shoot trap?

5. striper

striper Member

What about shooting just because you enjoy the challenge to improve yourself and shooting skills. There are millions of golfers who are not in the PGA and I feel as a non ATA shooter that I enjoy the challenge of self improvement. Shoot a 25, 50 or 100 straight is similar to par and sub par golf. I enjoy the company of fellow shooters and eventually I may shoot at a ATA event but that is not why I shoot!Shotgunning is a whole hobby for me reloading, gun shopping,pride in ownership of a fine weapon and shooting it is all a enjoyable to me and I am sure to many others. JMHO

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

striper,

Your points are well taken but you are comparing apples and oranges in reality ... There will be people challenging themself next week as well as the week of the Grand American, weeks of the Satelite Grands, State shoots, and the cost factors will be considerably more that what you came up with plus the cost of lodging, food, drinks, shells, gas, travel, supplies, etc, etc ... The cost you are talking about are for the recreational shooter such as yourself and not a serious ATA trapshooter, NSCA Sporting clays, and NSSA skeet shooters who travel to shoots to challenge themself as well as the competetion who shows up and spend time with their old and new friends ... The separation between the two are as vast as the distance between the to sides of the Grand Canyon and so are the related cost factors ... Thats just the way it is and the overall cost keeps going up usually faster than most peoples paychecks ... I happen to totally agree with Literalist when he says,

"It's my opinion that there will be an increasing number of shooters who seriously cut back (or quit) ATA targets...and, rather than be content to shoot a few practice rounds, will drop out entirely".

WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All my shooting seems to be less now. I won't go into numbers, because things are different in different parts of the country.

I shoot 2 leagues, Some registered trap and recently it seems that I have not been motivated to shoot registered skeet since the cost got much higher.

Counting all the boxes of shells per week I shot 2 years ago I will hazard a guess that I am shooting from 25 to 35 per cent less now.

Shell costs only came into the picture a couple months ago, and with the 15% increase announced this fall by Remington, will become even more of a factor.

HM

8. striper

striper Member

WPT point well taken and your very right! All I know is this is my main enjoyment now as a hobby. You go through phases of interest and shotgunning is one I have always loved and will continue to do so.

9. Lyle

Lyle Member

Small shoot or big shoot, there are some big dogs at all of them. Here in Idaho I don't believe I have been to any small shoot where there was not at least one all-american in attendance. The competition is just fierce everywhere in my opinion.

Lyle

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

One of the things which I always thought was great about trapshooting is that it is possible for the average Joe to shoot with and against the best in the world. I can't think of another sport where that is possible. And, even the average Joe who is a AA 27 yarder can get hot and win at any given time. (If we are going to be honest, its even more likely in these days of soft 48 yard, 2 hole targets.) I remember the first time I shot side by side with one of the "big dogs" (to use the vernacular) on the 27 yard line. I could hardly believe I was standing shoulder to shoulder with the guy. Course, I was so nervous I think I broke about 83. But, I got over the awe after a time or three and realized that they were people too. But it is still pretty cool to shoot even/even with them. I mean how many ordinary good golfers ever get to play with a Jake Nicholas or Tiger Woods or Phil Michelson, let alone play them heads up? None. But if trap is your game, you can shoot with the best. And, folks complain about it? Oh well. Regards, Jake

11. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

I'm going bowling. It only costs $11.00 a week to bowl three games. My shoes were 39.99 and the balls are free to use. It's good exercise and I don't have to worry about getting lead poisoning from loading shells. The trophies are the bowling gold statue dust collecters and are the same every year so nobody complains about the trophies. And WE CAN DRINK BEER While Bowling.

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Shooting pratice, just doesn't do anything for me. Yeah, I try to break em all, but really I don't try that hard as I would if competing agaisnt somebody.

Things are going to change. I'm shooting shells now that cost me $12.50 a bag for lead. Like I've said on other threads - I can't see myself paying $45 a bag for shot. Will I quit shooting? I just might, especially ATA where you shoot 16 boxes a day.

I have been shooting the games at our club. I like "Annies" where you really have to shoot well or go sit down. That only takes 3 or 4 boxes. Maybe I'll save my ammo for games.

All that said. I still plan on winning the GAH someday!!!! When you show up at the Grand and see "Bisi" there, play all the money and expect to come in 2nd.

Bisi

13. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

Just did the reloading cost calculator with what the prices at Bass Pro are. $4.99 for 100 primers, $7.49 for a bag of wads $.10 for hulls $50. a bag for shot and I took a guess at the 8 lbs of powder being $110.00. This is without taxes and it came out to $8.97 for a box of shells.

14. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Damned right. If it weren't for the recreational shooters, every club would shut down. As far as another $1/box...no big deal.

15. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

I'm almost quitting after 35 years and going to golf. It is not the money, they are about the same, I just need a change, simple. Will still shoot some but am done with ATA I think. The thing that finally got me was sitting around all day until 6 or 7 o'clock to shoot 300 birds, just got really boring. 18 holes of golf, beautiful courses, doing something all the time and in 4 hours a good beer and conversation and on my way. Not knockin anyone, it's been a great ride and I loved it, just need a change.
    ftlupton

16. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Zara, I agree with you about the quest. I have given it up for now. I may take an interest again. I sort of doubt it. I find shooting more difficult clay games is more enjoyable for me. The thought of grinding out groups of 1 and 2 hundred singles sounds more like tedious work than anything else. Yea, yea, I know. Shooting singles is fun because the birds are so darn easy you can watch them turn to dust balls one after another when you are on. But, it is tedious to have to do it 200 times in a row for the shootoff. Handicap is certainly more interesting. But again, it really can't be called exciting. Now doubles. They are fun. In fact, I could flat out get interested in a 500 bird doubles marathon. But, I think I will leave the quest to others. Just me. Jake

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is great to be a new shooter.

My girlfriend and I started shooting last year.

She shot her first 25 today; and we whooped it up and the guys shot her hat. I was so glad for her. I shot my highest score (99/100). No big dogs here - just puppies.

Puppies have fun flopping around and playing. They do not know how silly and comical they look.

Maybe some of you old/big dogs have plateaued and got bored/jaded. Someday we may too.

Until then, we will meet new friends and learn to shoot (maybe mediocre at best) and have a good time.

We look forward to buying up your high end guns as you pass them down to the newbies. You have taken good care of them and we will too. Someday it will be our turn to hang up the shooting vest, and go golfing, or sit around and remember the good times we had. I do not look forward to that day. It will be a sad say.

Don

18. trap41

trap41 TS Member

During times of economic hardship the first thing to be eliminated from budget are the non essentials.

trappy

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I can remember the dark day I learned that the EPA would be requiring us to use non-toxic shot (imagine giving up everything you know). As I drafted my President's Message to the membership, I had a sinking feeling about what would come. And the backlash was about as expected - the diehard lead/ATA shooters abandoned the Club for greener pastures (lead clubs) and I was forced with the few committed others to re-think our marketing strategy having to use steel shot.

Problems become opportunities and I look back over the past 6 years and am proud of what we accomplished - we could've shut the doors and died in protest, but we chose to figure out a way to survive.

The high price of lead is real to many folks budget, so I will not debate what you should do just as I have learned that those who side against steel shot, do so for their reasons.

All I'll say is that for many who are confronted by this obstacle - don't give up - shoot less, load lighter, focus on your best events and when lead comes down (and it will at some point), re-evaluate your budget and ramp up your shooting once more!

We are all in this together (even us steel guys shoot lead!)

Jay Spitz

20. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

In support of Denny's position...

People DO respond to economic stimuli...if we didn't believe that, then you probably wouldn't believe in supply & demand or capitalism in general.

Cost doesn't matter if you're a fanatic.

Cost doesn't matter if you're rich.

So I have no argument that rich fanatics will be unaffected.

I think the question was...what about everybody else?

Rich fanatics aren't always the funnest people to hang around...unless you want a sport full of "eccentrics." My fondest memories of the sport were listening to guys from the "Silent Generation" talk about their experiences...guys who carried Tommy Guns onto the beaches of places like Tarawa & Iwo Jima...guys who shot the same Winchester Model 12 for 35 or 40 years...and never even thought of putting a "Painted PFS" on it. These guys weren't rich fanatics who traded $12k guns every year and showed up in Diesel Pushers. These were regular Joes, who punched out on the clock at the manufacturing plant before heading out on Friday night to a tournament with their wives.

I'm from "Generation X." I've shot trap with the World War 2 generation, with their stories, their Model 12 trap guns, and their wives playing cards under the tree. I've also shot with the "Baby Boomer" crowd...the loud-mouth, cell-phone-talking guys with the $12k guns whose mouth never stops running, who have been divorced 3 times, and their wife & kids are off doing something else while they're shooting trap by themselves. They've got a lot more money to play with than the old Model 12 guys had...and make a lot more noise doing it.

If I had a choice between the two...give me the "Silent Generation" WW2 guys on my squad, ANY day of the week. A sport full of rich eccentrics gets less fun all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.