1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You know you're getting old when ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pocatello, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

You know you

The thread on Pontiac's passing brought back memories of other American brands that are gone forever, some good, some not so good. I remember Hudson, Nash, Rambler, Packard, Studebaker, Desoto, Chrysler Imperial, and DeLorean. How about some others?

2. rich-s

rich-s TS Member

Oldsmobile, Plymouth......

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

AMC, Checker cabs

--- Chip King ---

4. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Crosley, Henry J

5. dkdevries

dkdevries TS Member

Kaiser, Hudson.

Doug DeVries

6. dkdevries

dkdevries TS Member

Oops! Sorry. Pocatello already said "Hudson".

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Shelby Cobras were nice. And the ill-fated Bricklin Safety car - it was Canadian but the engine was AMC.

Neil

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I think that there was a wonder car named the Tucker "Pilot Ray" or "Torpedo" around 1948 that was rear engined and had many safety features. I remember seeing a movie about the car. Only a few were made.

My uncle had a 1953 Hudson Hornet that was as big as a Chevy Suburban. It was built like a tank.

The Hudson was dark green with lots of chrome and you stepped down to get into it. It was a four door and it could carry six NFL linemen. The engine was a joy to behold. It was a 308 CID flathead six with two single barrel carbs. The twin air cleaners were shaped like cylinders about 4" in diameter and 12" long. The air cleaners were in parallel with a middle bracket holding them together proclaiming "Twin H Power". It seemed like there was enough spare room under the hood for another engine.

My uncle drove the Hudson back and forth to California from Louisville, Kentucky and he claimed that he could hold 70 mph all day long and could pass anything on the road.

I believe that the car had a 4 speed automatic transmission and power steering but I am not sure on this part.

Anyway, it was a beautiful car.

Ed Ward

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Pepsodent , Brylcreme, Sinclare , Esso, Monkey Wards, S&H greenstamps uncle joshs pork rinds, 20 mule team ! LOL . Jeff

10. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

You know you are getting old when you wake up in the morning and think you are dead because nothing hurts.

Mike

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Those wonderful waxed red 20 guage shotshells with the 'Hawthorne' logo on the box. They were majical, if not in actual performance as much as its is a brain burn that hits me everytime there is a skiff of snow and I see some bunny tracks. I truly believe there was an extermely addictive component in those shells because I took one whiff back then and I still huff the paper whenever I get the chance. I remember really cool cars too.

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Bigbore, Brylcreem, " a little dab'll do ya" is still very much alive. Larry

13. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

Redman Chewing Tobacco and that Codfish signs painted on Barns.

Burma Shave Signs

14. Neil Winston

EE, I looked it up and you are correct. I still remember the Road and Track coverage of it which seemed to me, even at the time, an example of trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

I even think that Consumer Reports wrote something about it, not realizing, according to the Wikipedia entry, that they were selling cars for less than half what they cost to make and so few of their readers were likely to ever see one.

Neil

15. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

La Sal (maybe mispelled, but Cad, bought them out about 1937 or 8) had one of the strongest trannies made, great demand in drag raceing circles.

16. Neil Winston

How about Cord - I've actually seen a couple of them and they were really something, including front wheel drive and bling before there was bling.

There are a lot more at the above link.

Neil

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Western Auto

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Don't worry about forgetfullness as you age; at least until you forget why you walked into the bathroom! Boy, I DO remember most of those cars - how about the Ă…ustin Healey Sprite?....Bob Dodd

19. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Dodge power wagons?...Cherry phosphates?...candy cigarettes?...opium in the drug stores?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

20. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

standard oil,, dx oil co. skelly oil co. ,anyone remember "stay at home moms" s.s. kresge & f.w.woolworth dime stores...dwain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.