1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You know what I really miss?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I was loading some 28 ga shells today and the shot bottle emptied out. I always empty the contents of a 25# shot bag into a small bucket that I've had for at least 15 years, and then scoop the shot out of the bucket with a plastic cup to then fill the shot bottle. I find that easier that holding a fresh 25# bag of shot over my head to begin filling the shot bottle on my MEC Grabber.

As I took a box knife to cut the canvas shot bag and plastic liner open, I suddenly remembered days gone by when opening the old shot Lawrence bags. No plastic liner then . . . . . . and if you cut the "correct" string on the bag, you could "unzip" the thread without having to cut each thread.

It was always kind of a challenge and something shownn to me by my Dad when he taught me to reload for his trap shooting hobby. Eventually I was allowed to accompany him and do some shooting myself from the

2. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

to continue . . . hit the wrong button before I wanted to post.

. . . . shoot myself from the 16 yard line.

Anyway, this got me to thinking about the other stuff I used to do that is no longer required or needed. Such as :

Two piece wads for paper shells
    "Ironing the paper shells on a Mec reloader to resize them.
    Using a copper screen on the clean rod to scrape the shotgun bore clean
    The smell of Hoppes
    Using the spent primers in a slingshot
    The shot bag thread issue made me think of my Dad and brought back fond memories

and . . . . . what else ?

Any memories ? I'll admit to just turning 60 so the youngsters on here probably won't know what I'm talking about.

What do you miss ?

3. avery53

avery53 Member

There was something about the smell of the old paper hulls.
    Picking up a fresh fired one and sticking my nose on it, aaahhhhhh.
    Ever have to dig a paper hull out of your gun with your pocketknife because it swelled up. (Usually hunting in the rain) Not a fond memory, but part of being an OLD shotgunner. lol

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I grew up on a working Gentleman's farm, a construction company on one side and a small dairy & poultry operation on the other side of a huge barn. 265 acres of pasture and crops, hours on the old Ford and Farmall working land that my family specifically tended to provide upland and waterfoul hunting for us.

I learned to open lead shot bags by opening more feed bags than I care to count. It's RRR, "Rough" threads (the double loop side) to the "Rear" (away from you). Separate the two threads on the "Right" side of the bag and pull. Rough, Rear and Right, and the bags magically unsip....

I really miss that land....and those times, and regret not being able to take my grandkids hunting and fishing on their own private heaven. We left that land when the city grew up around us and the damnable liberals decided that hunting should be illegal. The kids have all scattered to the four-corners, which makes me especially miss it this time of year.

Kip

5. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

The shot that I buy still comes in the 25# canvas bags that are sewn shut. It still takes me 10 minutes to figure out the sequence of what string to cut and which to pull.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I had a few of those bags when I first learned to reload 7/8 oz. Int'l loads. Never figured out where to cut the strings.

I started to buy shells for the past 5, 6 years, my mec 9000 was bolted on a chopping board so I can store it away, haven't seen it for awhile.

What I really miss is my old dog, she always laying next to me when I reload, sniff those shells dropped out of the box, then look at me like "Are you gona pick them up? Stupid." Man, I miss her.

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Count me in as another newly minted 60 year old that misses the smell of Federal papers and Red Dot!

A friend and I had a matching pair of Rossi 20 ga SxS that we used for sunday afternoon barn pigeon shooting. We had a regular route that we traveled, never even had to stop and ask for permission. Hard to even find any barns these days!

We used to reload those old Federals until we had to use masking tape over the ends to keep the shot from falling out.

Man, I sure do miss those times and those friends...

Kiv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.