1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You don't like Sparta? Hope you like L.V.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jeff P, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Yawn....

2. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

PITA should love it.

Rock

Jim

3. shotshow

shotshow TS Member

Yeah that will help a lot with the attendance issues...... NOT. If they did that then I would believe that they will lose their midwest shooters. Because I am from Illinois and I went to the grand every year since I was 9 until it closed and then I went to Sparta the past 2 years and there is no way in hell I am going to Las Vegas. That is just too far for me. And this facility they are building in Las Vegas, I would like to see it. Does anyone have a website of them really building it, because i find it hard to believe that they would build something as big as Sparta with no guarantee of the grand.

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Since when did spending money in Vegas ever need a guarantee of anything? The ATA is NOT, repeat NOT the only game in town. I do believe the shooters will go to Vegas if they build a complex there. We have been over this time and time again. As long as they don't attempt to hold the Grand in August out there, they are good to go. Soooooo much more to do than shoot out there too. I know a few people would be reluctant to give up the Saturday night Bingo at the Sparta 1st Presbterian (made that up) for keeno at the MGM Grand, but hey, it's a sacrifice most would willingly make. The other thing too is that there wont be wholesale raping going on on the rooms like in Sparta and Vandalia. They don't need to make money on the rooms in LV, they make that elsewhere.

Jeff

5. shotshow

shotshow TS Member

Like you said yourself "as long as they do not hold the grand in August". Well unfortunetly that will not work. How do you plan to have a junior or sub-junior class? Are students supposed to miss a week of school to go shoot? And June and July are not any cooler so they will have to move it to sometime during school. I know a lot of you older gentlemen believe in this moving the grand to a cooler time of year but you are not thinking of the future. IF this happens fathers will not bring their sons or daughters to the grand like my father did. I only go to the grand now because my father took me to Vandalia so I know it exists otherwise I would be missing out on this great event. I believe our sport is in a downward spiral right now, especially with everyone arguing about where the grand should be and moving the dates around. The grand now is only 20 minutes from my house but honestly I wish it would have of never left Vandalia. I loved going there. You can just feel the history and tradition when you walk that trap line. All in all though we must come to the realization that the grand is in Sparta and it will probably not go to Las Vegas.

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Let's see here. I missed close to or a full a week of school every year the opener of gun deer season was on a Sunday or Monday or a Tuesday in Michigan. I survived. My grades survived. No harm no foul. It will not eliminate the Sub-junior and Junior classes. It will eliminate the ones who's grades won't permit them to go. That's an incentive to do well in school isn't it? The Grand is really not that big of a deal for most of us anyway. That is why only 10% of us or less go every year. It's fun to see if you've never seen it and shoot it but once you have, you have. It's over priced and there is nothing to do at the current location besides shoot and sweat and take the bullet proof car tour of East Saint Louis. I will take my kids if they want to go but not every year. By not going every year, the years I do go make it more of an event. I would like a Grand that moved around and the more places that have a lot of traps, the more places it can be held.

Jeff

7. shotshow

shotshow TS Member

HOw can you say there is nothing to do when you have St. Louis right next to ya? And don't say it is too far because obviously you know where east st. louis is and st. louis is only 2 miles more. I believe there is a lot more to do here than Vandalia. People just don't want to drive the extra 20 miles to get there. The only thing that really does worry me was why didn't the ATA move their headquaters to Sparta when the grand left? If anyone can answer that I would greatly appreciate it and no one has given me a website or sited their source for this new Las Vegas trap range.

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Is this what you are referring to?

Jeff

9. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

I have been to Las Vegas dozens of times. It has the most unpredictable and miserable weather of any place in the country. It can be blazing hot, freezing cold, rain buckets, snow and the wind can blow 60 nonstop. The following week can be worse.

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Those weather conditions sound a lot like the MO fall handicap and I don't see people shying away from that!

Jeff

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I'll probably make it to Vegas before I ever think about going to Sparta...

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

To Goldex, You said that in LV there would not be any wholesale raping of tourists for motel rooms. I suggest you talk to someone who has been there for conventions, etc. An average room can increase $100 per night or more. The owners there are just like those in the Vandalia area. Larry

13. sterlingz

sterlingz TS Member

If you read the website that "GoldEx" gave us, it tell you that there will be "24 combo trap and skeet fields" and "96 full hook up RV sites with 50 amp service". WOW! 24 fields and 96 camper spots, that'll sure accomadate the thousand campers from Sparta and only 1/4 of the traps of Sparta. There's no way that the Grand could be held there unless it lasted for eight weeks. (Eight weeks comes from the 96 traps used at Sparta dived by 24 traps at LV=4. 4*two weeks of shooting at Sparta=8 weeks.)
    Sterling

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

"The grand may move there next."

Gee, Homer, you must have the inside track! Got any stock picks for me?

That wmight be funny if you could amputate the stupidity.

HM

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am pleased to read that there is progress in developing the 24 trap club in LV. I assume this is the same club that was first discussed about 5 years ago.
    I am sure it will be a nice facility and the non shooting activities around LV will attract shooters. Twenty four traps is adequate to host a state shoot and a site for the Western telephonic zone shoot.

We have 8 years remaining with the contract to host the Grand at Sparta. I have no idea when discussions about renewing this contract will come up but 5-6 years is not a bad guess.

Pat Ireland

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The "Grand" needs to move to PA where the real money is!

Curt

17. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I was going to post but the level of irrelevance has risen to a point of being pointless.

Get over it. The Grand is in Sparta and will be there for many more years......

I think that we should be focusing on how to keep the game affordable and not where we happen to hold our largest shoots.

Ronbo

18. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

Let me get this straight. Harry Reid was involved in this? Wonder how much he got out of it. When the Democrats take the Whitehouse they will be back on the ban gun bandwagon. Oh well, Ole Harry got his anyway.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Clark County has twice the amount of property to expand as they do in Sparta, Ill. and the money is not an issue in Las Vegas ... The possibility of the Grand moving to Las Vegas is faint because there are far too many accomidations in place and the ATA does have the balance of the lease they signed with the State of Illinois and cannot afford to lose the trap machines as partial payment if they tried to get out of it ... Let the Grand stay in Illinois and see who goes where if they ever hold a shoot in Las Vegas against the Grand in Illinois ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I had to read it twice when I saw Harry Reid was happy to be a part of it. I could get the wife to Vegas a lot sooner than Sparta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.