1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You can't really LOOK at the target!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"The human eye will not follow the target as if it is the dot on a flying i."</i></blockquote>OK...If that's what you think...!

Keller

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"The human eye will not follow the target as if it is the dot on a flying i. So one should not be concerned with getting his eye directly on it, for it is all in the periphery; that which is to be trusted.

The shooters concern is to pay attention to what is about to be presented, not when it is already out of the house and half-way to the 50 yard stake. There is a streak attached to the top of the house in the exact spot where the pigeon made it's exit. If a person never learns to see that exact spot then he is not paying attention.

The shooters frame of mind therefore is the key and must be the same as the man's who holds a cocked club as he watches a hole in the ground before him where he is sure that a fast and poisonous snake is about to spring forth with a terrible vengence."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"And your averages of ..........? prove this??

3. johnboy

johnboy Member

Focusing on the bird is the most important thing, at least that what the really great in the shooting sports say.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I LOOK at the beads.I LOOK at the target. Then I break the damn target! Come on spring..........Bill

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

That'all I look for,and all I look at,the target.I can tell you wheather I'm looking at the leading edge,the center of the target or the back edge when I release my trigger depending on the day and conditions at the time.SO,Explain then, how come I break them?????

Doug H. (pa)

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

C.E., how's that workin out for you?

There are several ways of seeing a moving object. I'll just mention a couple here that's most used. First is a lazy casual look as you mentioned above. Then, there's seeing with eye intensity! Oh my! You see the target emerge and lock on it while giving your pointing eye the partial nano second it takes to see it with EYE INTENSITY! What that means is your eye/eyes are glued to a smaller portion of the clay depending on it's angle as to which side the eye is glued to!! It's at that point where a shooters "periphery" comes into play you've mentioned above. Sounds like a simple process, yes, because we're using our eyesight! Sounds simple enough but it's tough as all he!! to master!!

Proper use of my peripheral vision is very important to me and the way I attack clay targets of all persuasions. In my not so humble opinion, lots of shooters use their peripheral vision even though they may not be aware of exactly what's taking place at that crucial nano second but I feel they must.

Hap

7. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

C. E.,

I have two questions:

1) why would you "point" a rifle?

2) and why at a cat?

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Slayer said it best!!

9. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

i agree with hap we talk a lot on this subject. periphl vison is very CRUCIAL if i concentrate on looking srraight over the barrel the eyes pick up the target flight. the data processor then tells me it is either a 10 oclock or 2 oclock shot. the tank turret then moves to the shot. the key is to really look straight and not let the eyes wander once the gun is mounted.

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

If I focus on a given area like I would in anticipation of a vengeful poisonous snake the damned thing would strike three times before I could react.

If however I maintain a soft focus over the house, my peripheral vision will pick up any movement, thus drawing my eye to it. My gun follows my eye to and past the target, my eye does not follow the gun to the target.

Robert

11. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"When you point a rifle at an alley cat, does your sight hold still? No, it doesn't. It wobbles all over the place."</I></blockquote>That has nothing to do with the eyes. That's because a rifle is a damned hard thing to hold steady with an outstretched arm. Put the same rifle on a bipod with the same eyes and it will be rock steady.

Keller

12. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I have to agree with Hap. Shooters talk about a streak. I guess I am different as I see the bird when it leaves the house. I shoot a high gun and see the bird come out under my gun. Alot of the time my gun won't move more than 6 to 8 inches to break the bird.

Dave

13. trapgeek

trapgeek Member

I agree with Robert.

Trapgeek

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

C.E., Harlan C. looks out in the field for the clay and moves latterly to use his higher shooting POI. Some people can SEE a whole complete target emerge from underneath the roof-line!! Others, depending on their eyesight will see a tail streak behind a clay! Some for several feet! LOOK,,, for the clay out as far as it takes for your vision ability to see a whole complete target, period!

I can understand that anyone that always sees a streak must assume others must see that same thing but (after all, seeing is seeing?) but that just isn't true guy! Whether or not Harlan C. sees a streak is immaterial, he's figured out exactly what works and it works well, for him!!

Hap

15. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Frank Little, Leo, Kaye & Nora told me to focus on the target. Earl S. told me "don't look at the target, look at the front edge of the target". I did eye exercises and followed their advice for years and maintained an A or AA average.

16. Unknown1

Holding above the house and letting the target appear from under the barrel will eliminate just about all of the streaking. When seen, the target is clear, whole and appears to be moving comparatively slowly. Phil Kiner and Frank Hoppe both recommend this technique to 1-eye shooters who have been handicapped for years by being told that they need to watch for the target at the edge of the roof.

Keller

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Fun thread. More please. So, if you hold a high gun, should you raise your focus straight up above the beads or should you focus to the side and over the house? For example; if you are on post five and you hold your gun slightly high and slightly to the right of the right corner of the house, should you focus straight up over the beads and let your peripheral vision pick the bird up, or should you shift your pre-focus to the left of the beads attempting to pick up and lock on to the target more quickly? Thanks, Martinpicker

18. brownk80

brownk80 Member

So C.E., how's the weather up there?

19. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

C.E I am sorry that you can't see the bird when it leaves the house. I have always seen the bird when it leaves the house. I have shot targets from 1948 till now and have always saw the bird when it comes out of the house.

Dave

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Anybody who take this subject serious from a shooter with a lifetime handicap average in the low 80's and lifetime singles average in the high 80's would get just what they ordered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.