1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You can't mount your gun until after I shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 320090T, Sep 7, 2009.

1. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I use blinders to prevent this although her gun barrel might extend beyond the blocked area. I think you did the right thing. Might fake mount the next time and see if they get the hint.

2. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

ertz, if you missed them before you realized what she was doing then it was your fault, then and only then after you noticed, you let it get to your head, causing you to put this on here.

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I lost a carryover shootoff a couple of years ago because of this. I was two birds down and screwed before I realized what happened. You only have to drop one at most shoots and you're out. And the guy to my right was a well known Junior All-American. I'm not going to describe it any further than that. It's over and done with now.

But that said, he should have known better. Nothing personal against the shooter, because a lot of us are hyper-competitive and may not realize what we're doing at the time, but I've gotten a lot more careful with my own gun since that happened. And I remount the first time I notice it now.

I guess it's just a lesson we all have to learn the hard way.

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Ertz,

Thanks for posting this. I have to consciously wait to close my gun right after the shooter before me shoots. Sometimes I go a little early because of my interest in my target. Your post reinforces my effort to slow down a little and wait, then go at it 100% when it is my turn. This keeps me well away from the situation you've described where I might even mount the gun before the other shooter has shot.

Sounds like it really got out of hand on your squad. I might have taken her advice right then and calmly gone to the club house.

Joe

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I used to be bothered a lot by this, too, and it would cause me to miss shots. There are two times that it bothered me enough (because it was a big shoot that I seriously wanted to win) that I requested the shooter to wait for me to complete my shot before mounting his/her gun. Two different shooters, two different shoots: both got angry. One was a jr shooter whose MOTHER also went around giving me the evil eye for the rest of the shoot.

I just gave up and learned to deal with it. Eventually, it stopped bothering me.

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I am one who also is bothered by this inconsiderate act by adjucant shooters. Except for caps my wife shoots to my right most of the time so generally no problem. I am always attentive to the thought of bothering the shooter to my left. Folks, it doesn't cost us one damn thing to be nice to our fellow shooters! Don't be known as a (you fill in the blank). Jake

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The movement of another's gun bothers me. When I have asked shooters not to do it, they have always been embarrassed and stopped. I have two friends who just can't stop from doing this. I do my best not to have them shooting to my right.

Pat Ireland

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I don't move a muscle until the shooter to my left has fired. I do wish others would be as considerate.

That being said, I learned to deal with it by pushing the blinders back even with the lens. That lets me see motion all around. I quickly got used to it, and learned to ignore all but the most egregious movements.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Stop what you're doing.....walk up to the inconsiderate creep and advise them of their rude behavior and if it doesn't cease, you'll stop the shooting and report same to the shoot management for disrupting the harmony of the shoot.

If you don't have the fortitude to do this, then shut up and shoot.

Curt

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If this should happen again and they have their gun up and ready before you shoot , just stay in that position for a good length of time and watch them form the corner of your eye until they realize you aren`t shooting until they put their gun down -- turning to them and ask if they were done yet ??? Maybe then will they get the message !!! I spoke to a shooter yesterday because of the same situation and it was corrected without a problem .

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

XT...

Ertz may have been sub-consciously aware of what the inconsiderate person was doing... unfortunately, it might take a couple rotations to become "consciously aware" of it...

Closing an action with a gun off shoulder, but pointed safely down range doesn't distract me, but I could see where a premature gun mount would...

Thanks for the post and the rule,

jay

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

ljutic 111, your idea is excellent! to which I would add that saying "BANG" real loud would emphasize your point. Best Regards, Ed

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I try hard not do anything that bothers any of the shooters on my squad, unfortunitly I some times go into auto mode out there and and do dump things. But hey, IT IS MY FAULT, and I an as humble and sorry as the other guy/gal is upset. My fault I eat crow!

I have not been aware of this scenario happening when I am on the line. I would not hesitate to call shoot manegment to the line to correct it if I were!

One shoot a couple years ago, the guy that would have been on my right for four of the five posts, took one look at my shotgun and started telling me HE DID NOT shoot to the right of an autoloader, I HAD TO RESQUAD! I told him my gun is set up to not eject, lets shoot a little before he objects! He went to the Sqaud Hustler and pretty much went off, then red faced grabbed his gun and walked away! The squad hustler came over and asked what was that, "as the guy had told her I had to be disqualified because that AUTOLOADER bothered HIM!" To wich the squad hustler had replied, ""hasn't been a shot fired yet" "HOW CAN YOU BE BOTHERED!""

A doubles event a year and a half back, my doubles gun broke, my back up was not right and I was going ahead BULLHEADED anyway! Between traps the squads waiting told the other guy shooting that squad "call the line judge over and have that a&& disqualifiied"! He told them, Hey I was shooting bad before his other gun broke, with which he was shooting well, WE ARE having fun leave it alone!

SO if you are shooting and someone is doing something that you feel is not right, have the scorer call the, line judge/squad hustler over to watch the goings on, and then ask for judgement! MEAN while, try to relax focus on the bird and shoot well!

As an old family friend and bowling team member pointed out one night when one obnoxuos a%% was trying hard to get into my head, "Don't pay any attention to that a%% relax and bowl your game, the better you bowl the worse he will"! Turned out old Ed was right, putting the a%% out of mind helped my concentration and I bowled my best score of the league, While the team mates of the A%% where telling him by the end of the first game let us brake you leg so we can use your average and have better chance!

SO relax shoot well and above all HAVE FUN!

Al Lingham

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've only had one fellow that was SO early in his mount that it was a problem. I stuck it out on one station but on the next, I'd just pull my gun back down and create the need for him to start over too. I did that several times and finally took to saying, "it's my turn to shoot!" He stopped the early mount but didn't like it and disappeared after that event.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

15. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

vic reinders was on a squad with a guy who was always moving around while vic was attempting to shoot. vic lowered his gun and told the guy" the next time you move while i attempting to shoot, i will shoot you in the leg". the guy stoped moving, vic was not joking either. agree or disagree with vic's methods, they usually worked.
    steve balistreri

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Curt- Your suggestion is clearly as rude as are the actions of the person making the premature mount.

Pat Ireland

17. Mike

Mike Member

Ertz, she was not "mounting her gun." In fact she only closed the action and kept the barrel pointed downrange with the buttstock tight against her side. You sir embellish the truth. When she tried to walk to post 1 from post 5 you blocked her path and yelled at her, in between fields she tried to walk away from you, you persued her and yelled at her more, it was then she reminded you of you option to resquad. Your behavior was not stellar in fact it was adolescent. "I missed a hard right from the first three stations...", your record shows you miss a lot of targets, mayby you don't like getting beat by a girl. Mik

18. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

There are always 2 sides to a story. That being said, I to have problems with people to the right of me raising their gun while I'm moving to a hard right target. I have used false mounts to get the point across and it seems to work. Having good metal toughness works too.

For myself, I do not move untill the shooter next to me fires his gun.

19. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Because some people refuse to be civil, rules like laws have to be written and enforced. Unfortunately, more rules & laws make all of us less free. So the selfish is more than just inconsiderate; he or she imposes undue burden on the rest of us. To adapt to such behavior is to validate it!

20. larryjk

larryjk Member

Some shooters do it because they have no consideration for other shooters. Then there are the ones who do it to break your concentration; the old one-upmanship game.
    Some do it to try to get the same bird you got(very little time for the trap to occilate).
    If you are a good shooter, play little games that screw them up if they are doing that. That is more fun. A young shooter is the type you can break of the habit if you talk to them after the round and privately so you don't embarrass them. Young shootes want to be accepted and will accept constructive criticism from older shooters/