1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You Can Shoot Yardage With Steel Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

1. Let me say that I don't want to believe that you can't shoot scores just as high with steel, as with lead. I believe I can, it's just a matter of developing the skill. That's my premise this season as I move back in yardage from a strong start up close. I've already got a 100 straight badge, have shot 50, 75 and 100 straights on different occasions and took the spring singles league with 380/400, all with steel shot this spring. It's time to mix it up and add yardage to my game.

2. I shoot steel #6 purchased from Ballistic Products who happens to be having a steel shot sale going on right now. See link above. It's $1.83 per pound, which is $45.75 per 25 pounds to give us an easy comparison to lead. Their steel wads are on sale right now too at $173.37 per case of 6000 or 2.8 cents a piece. Here's the wad for 1 oz, the PT1260. Ask for the slower trap recipes when purchasing.

222PT1260_lg.jpg

steelshot.JPG

(Yes they cheated and used the picture for #3. The pellet diameter is shown as 0.140.)

Number 6 steel surely takes more energy to the target, per pellet, than number 7 steel. It's what I use after seeing how lead 7-1/2 works at yardage over the smaller lead shot sizes.

3. First round this year, I broke a 25 straight from 25 yards. I attribute this to momentum I've got at 16 yards with steel.

4. I'd rather not talk about my scores that followed from 27 yards. They weren't so good and I immediately started moving closer to see if I could get the joy back. Well, it's harder and the feedback just isn't there like it is at 16.

5. Second night out I started to develop a strategy. Pre-shot setup includes a question - where is that target going on that horizon? And I made sure my eyes were on the target before moving. Sound familiar? It should because it's the same game, only a little harder with steel - maybe, probably, we'll see. I finished with a 21 at 25 yards and felt good about it. Getting some smoke back.

Back to lead today.

Joe

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Last Handicap Event, it was clear to see the fall off... Scott alluded to it in the other thread... you typically lose a few birds as you move back, but I also think a couple of those birds come from the lack of experience from shooting at that distance regularly.

Honestly, with the move to steel and the acquisition of ATA programming just a few seasons ago, we don't have anyone at mid-yardage and have little documentation to fairly discuss the issue at this point.

The only anecdotal experience we have is when we throw our Dove shoots in the evenings and the distance without exaggeration varies over the course of the round from 27-35 position yards... Most of us shoot only the #7s, but those who shoot it regularly, break them pretty well after some practice... I think the best scores posted have been 22 moves out of a possible 25... and those were with #7s...

The 35 yard (60 total) apple tree quartering bird seems to stymie most folks, because they over think it... But our first post which is a 30 yard hard right, requiring the lead of full-size Chevy gets taken pretty well... as do the traditional 27 yard positions across the middle trap...

It takes practice to break birds... I would rather be shooting lead... but if its a matter of shooting or not shooting; as well as supporting my local range or letting it die, I choose to shoot steel shot...

Lastly, and I can't document it, but my personal observation is that the guys who shoot a lot of steel and then shoot lead - improve their lead scores by shooting the steel...

Jay

3. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

You people still pushing that crap. Bill

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Not so much pushing... as trying to correct poor information...

Jay

5. joe kuhn

Bill, what are your specific complaints about using steel shot for target shooting?

6. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Joe-

I am your friend, but regret to inform you that you are just way off base here. Steel shot is NOT the way to go for handicap. It is obvious that depleted uranium shot outperforms lead and steel by huge degrees.

http://www.luckygunner.com/12ga-3-uranium-drone-load-tacnition-5-rounds

7. joe kuhn

Heh.

Best scores yesterday were 23 and 22 from 25 yards, but that's with lead. Sneaking back up to Elburn this morning before the graduation party starts. Goal is to break a 25 with steel from 27. Method is to practice and practice some more with both forms of shot.

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Tradition. I don't like to be BS by the EPA or the liberal groups. Kinda like the preppies when they go bike riding. The downe a special helment that looks like it would cover three times more than what they have for brains. Spandx shorts and shirt thats going to make you slide thru the wind and cut down resistance. That way you don't have to peddle as hard to go far. But that is really what your are supposed to do for the workout. Special shoes to peddle fast to give your ass a ride. Oh yea a water bottle with a nipple to suck on that really looks kool for a 20 year old and up.
    I remember when kids use to make ramps to jump with a bike. Ride backwards with your butt on the handle bars. No gears unless you came from a well to do family. We wore farm cloths and no helment. I never met one kid that ever got brain damage from riding a bike without all the special stuff. I think the main reason of no bad accidents was because no one had a water bottle to bring the injured person around. Couldn't drink it anyway. Didn't have a nipple. Bill

9. SBray

SBray Active Member

Joe,

I would have thought the one and only advantage of using steel instead of lead would have been the price! At $45.75 for steel shot, it seems that they are very proud of their product. Why is it so expensive?

Thanks,

Steve

10. joe kuhn

I think Bill hits the nail on the head with his one word summary - tradition. It goes against tradition to be shooting steel rather than lead. Stick with lead, Bill. We shoot it as much as possible, like yourself, at other clubs that allow lead. Our club in Naperville, where I loaded targets by hand as a boy, was forced to switch to steel when I was away starting a family. Now that I'm back, I want to make the best of it. I'm not about to give up the tradition of shooting at my home club, much like yourself keeping your own traditions alive. The compromise is to switch to steel which we've been able to do quite handily. We want our club to stay alive, so we promote the use of steel - at our club and others like it that have switched. Note we are not promoting the switch to steel by clubs that currently shoot lead. Lead is definitely better.

Steve, BPI is known for their top end prices. They're a retail specialty house and that's what you get when you buy from them. We do however, purchase the shot for our club by the ton from a mfr in MI - Ervin Industries at $1.40 per pound. That comes to $35 per 25 pound bag. Shipping is a significant part of the cost. It comes in a 55 gallon steel barrel and we repackage it ourselves. This is #7 in size. I shoot #6, which is allowed at our club, so I purchase else where. Notice #6 is not on the Ervin shot card linked above.

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

If lead is stopped in the future then you won't be able to afford lead. The hounds are starting to howl.

I don't hunt with steel either. I tried it years ago and for heaven sake I saw so many cripples it made me sick. I watched guys shoot so many duck on the water after they were wounded that I could have made a living selling them shells. How the people been dupped into the steel just to pacify the anti hunters was the same way our government is today.Suckered. I only hunt on private property and use lead only. The only humane way to hunt fowl and upland small game. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.