1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You Can Shoot 100 Straight with Steel Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

These two guys did it within a week or two of each other. And we have two extremes here, with Joe on the left being 59 years old and Kevin on the right a young 26.

joekuhn_2008_0303173.jpg

joekuhn_2008_0303172.jpg

2. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Congratulations! Tough to do with steel.

3. joe kuhn

Thank you.

It's not as hard as you might think from 16 yards. Shells from the club are #7, 1325 fps crushers. I shoot #6 at about 1200 fps and I get good smoke too. With the bios we throw, you can get a nice white cloud either way. We don't shoot any differently than with lead. Same game really.

4. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Lead will smoke a target while steel will only break it, lead will break a target while steel will only dust it. I would call it a lead advantage of about 1 to 1.5%. Just my opinion but I would like to here others opinion on this as well.

5. joe kuhn

I heartily disagree, particularly with "Lead will smoke a target while steel will only break it". You need to stop by our club sometime so you can see for yourself. They are so close, it's hard to discern, say nothing about describing a difference in some meaningful way. There may be one more dusted target with steel than lead - maybe 1 more every other round and that's just a guess. And that's if you're missing. We're talking about the wrong end of the performance curve fellas. Get on your targets and you can enjoy smoke cloud after smoke cloud all afternoon.

You really should try it some time.

6. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

All I shoot is steel

7. joe kuhn

Then how would you know about lead?

8. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

As a board member of my club we have tried to get outside tournament shoots but because we are steel only we are told that people will refuse to come.

9. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

On the rare occasion that I'm able to shoot lead at other clubs, my average goes up. Not picking a fight here but given a choice, I would shoot lead every chance I had.

10. joe kuhn

That's what I'm trying to dis-spell here. The bad image that steel shot has. You're in a difficult situation. Maybe you can personally invite a few shooters from other clubs so they can see for themselves. Just a thought.

11. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Good idea Joe.

12. joe kuhn

What steel loads are you shooting? We often note how well our steel shooters do when they shoot lead. Does that mean it's harder to break targets with steel? Maybe. How much better is your avg?

I'll pick lead any day of the week, just like you. I struggle to quantify the difference. Is it really that great?

13. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

1 to 2% with lead. Like it or not we will all be shooting steel sooner then later.

14. joe kuhn

Hope not.

That's a mighty lean difference. Would you be willing to keep a log of your scores this year and compare at the end of the season? I'll do it too.

15. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Sure! I try to log all my scores and will keep a better log on my away games. Do I think it's a big difference, no but there is a difference.

16. joe kuhn

Ok, you're on. Let's put some numbers behind it and see where we end up.

17. Avatar

I agree non-lead shot is likely to take over, alas, given the trend. However, as the posts above state, steel shot shouldn't make a huge difference (even though steel can never work as well as lead). I urge people having trouble with steel to do some pattern testing, to see if there's anything unusual going on. At a local club that is steel only, both 1oz and 7/8oz loads were available (both #7). I opted for the 1oz version, wanting as many pellets as possible :) I found myself doing terribly. I ordered a bunch of good Winchester steel shells then, when they arrived, pattern tested all three. The club's 1 oz shells really were terrible, pellets all over the place with sizable gaps. On the other hand, the 7/8oz shells patterned quite well, as did the Winchester factory loads I had ordered. I believe the wad used with the club's 1oz shells just wasn't doing its job. I'm sure I encounter bad wads with lead loads; but, for some reason, it seems to be more critical with steel.

18. Ponytail in WI

Ponytail in WI TS Member

Like the late Frank Hoppe once said.."put shot on the target and it will break."

Rick

19. joe kuhn

Avatar - any chance you could takes pictures of those wads? We've worked with several through club volume purchases, but have never pattern tested them rigorously. We're interested in your findings. Thanks.

The 1 oz wad we're currently using through the club is the PT1260 from Ballistic Products. You can see it in the back in the middle in this picture:

222PTSteel_lg.jpg

The Winchester shells you can buy at the club have what you would recognize instantly as a AA wad without the two inner posts. They're a beige, flesh tone color.

joekuhn_2008_0303174.jpg

20. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Are your leads with hard left and rights different with steel shot? Maybe shorter? I'm asking because isn't the shot-string with steel a lot shorter? Just curious.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.