1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

You can pre-squad for the Grand on line now.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Though it was not originally planned for, requests for on-line pre-squadding led to setting up the link above.

Neil

2. Neil Winston

3. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Thanks Neil, I'm leaving at first light for the Utah State Shoot, but will pre-squad on 7-1-08 when I return.

Thanks again --

Tom Strunk

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

I think it is great that the ATA is stepping into the 21st century and will now be able to presquad online. Although I prefer presquad.com ease of use. Now what we need is to have a common scoring windows based software that all the clubs can use to send in their scores to the ATA.

5. Darla

Darla Member

We finish a shoot now and email the results to Kathy immediately. Their software accepts 3S without any prob.

Darla

6. Tatanka Donk

Tatanka Donk Active Member

Darla, Please explain the procedure for doing that.

Thanks, Don Kerce

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Interesting. I don't understand why The Grand is not using Presquad.com but there must be a reason.

What is that reason Neil? Curious minds need to know.

Jerry Weger

8. Neil Winston

Jerry, the only way the Grand can financially work is for the whole line to be filled, since it costs over $4000 per hour to run it.

On presquad.com it would be possible to fill the line unequally - heavily entered here, empty there. So we have to be able to assign traps to even the line; R J Stuart's progream lets us do that.

Neil

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

So the obvious question then is why presquad if shoot management is going to assign positions? Are you sure this is what the shooters want?

I thought presquadding assured you the bank, the position and the approximate time you are shooting. It sounds like you are taking that option away to make the event more efficient.

I really don't see the point then of paying a presquad fee if the decisions are out of my hands.

Thanks,

Jerry

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I appreciate the effort to allow shooters to pre-squad online, if you think about it is a big step forward for the Grand.

That said, I also do not see any point in paying for what can be had for free by simply walking up and scanning your card at a kiosk.

Back in Vandalia there was some advantage to shooting close to where you were camped, or parked, or near the shell house. Now at Sparta nothing is close to anything, you have to drive (and thankfully can park) everywhere, so why worry about where you shoot?

I guess if I was wound so tight that I had to know exactly where, when, and with whom I was shooting each day it would be worth the money...but I am not.

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Neil -

I completely understand the issues with making sure there are no holes in the squads, cost, etc. Makes sense. And I also have to say that I've had good luck with RJ Stuart presquading at the Grand and other shoots that they handle the squadding/cashiering. I prefer to presquad so that I don't have to stand in line, and it's much more efficient if you are trying to squad with a group of people. I've generally received what I've asked for, more or less. And ultimately if I don't get what I want I can always turn it in and resquad, although I've never received anything so objectionable that I've had to do that.

However, the idea that they now have "on-line" presquadding is a bit of a stretch/marketing job, especially when presquad.com has the real-deal on-line presquadding. To be accurate, what RJ Stuart has is the ability to submit your presquad request via the Internet (on-line). There is no more (and in some cases less) functionality with their on-line request form than with the print/mail form. The less functionality comes into play when you have a group of 6 or 7 with varying yardages that you would like to squad. While that isn't easy to do via on-line, I've never had an issue with putting the names on a form and enclosing a note explaining what I needed via the mail.

Scott

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pre-squadding works best for 5 people applying in the same yardage group. Clubs should see to it that all squads are full beginning with squad 1-ONE! Using the reason your wanting to get the time preference goes out the window when squad 65 is one of the first out. I pre-squadded at the MO state shoot and wound up alone on two squads. Several groups in front of mine were the same yardage with short squads! I had no way of knowing I was alone on my squad till it was time to shoot! I suppose I could have stood in line to ask? If I have to do that, why not just pick one then without paying for the privilege? There's only one shoot I will pre-squad for in the future and that's the Spring Grand at Tucson. Hap

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Done. I have mine and our whole squad has theirs for the entire Grand. No more getting the entire squad in line at CEB to search for squads for the entire week. It is done and now I can worry about something else.

Don

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

What OTNOT is looking for is a web-based solution to getting the scores to the ATA. We mail in a disk and a hard copy of the shoot reports as well...but wouldn't it be simpler if shoot management could log on somehow to a system and enter the scores from the shoot?

You'd have scores right away and I certainly think it might save some labor on the ATAs part...

15. trapper08

trapper08 TS Member

I guess I understand not using ps.com. but even with that site, I am sure you can open up X number of banks at a time so you don't make too many holes. Anyways, I also realize pre-squadding was online last year. I did it and it went right thru the ATA office. Was there some reason it was not going to be online this year until people started to ask about it? Seems like once it was in place last year, it should continue forward instead of the ATA falling back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.