1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga and the Art of Trapshooting........

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Anyone on here actually doing Yoga to aid in shooting trap? In the off season I was considering taking Yoga lessons for the benefits of relaxation, flexibility, and concentration. I'd like to hear from anyone actually doing Yoga. Thanks, Biff

2. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Biff - This is a very interesting topic. It is my belief that the ability to concentrate on an objective along with good physical conditioning will improve performance in the shooting sports.

In recent discussions, I have learned that Yoga will improve flexibility along with the ability to focus. I have also learned that Yoga will also train participants to breathe in such a manner that will aid in relaxation and in one's ability to focus. To a competitive shooter these skills are essential.

Regarding the topics of mental training and physical conditioning, I found published data in "The Complete Book of Shotgunning Games" by Tom Migdalski. In his book, he refers to shooters as "shooter-athletes." His discussion of these topics is excellent.

It would be interesting to note just how many shooters are involved in Yoga and some type of physical conditioning? It would also be interesting to determine how many trapshooters are also involved in competive pistol bullsye shooting and whether these two shooting disciplines interfere with each other?

Once again Biff, this is an excellent thread which I hope will generate some positive discussion.

Dave

3. biff

biff Active Member

Dave, Thanks for responding to this thread. I feel you can take the physical aspect of shooting only so far then it becomes a mental game. I have read Lanny Basham's book and and several others on the mental aspect of shooting. I personally think reading and reading will only get you to the admission gate, to get up to bat is the next level but there is one more level beyond that which I believe can ultimately be reached. Some people call this "Being in the Zone" or completely letting the subconscious take over since it has all correct moves in it's memory bank.

My needs are to be very focused on the target, but it seems sometimes I will shoot and am not sure I actually saw the target when the shot was delivered. This is similar to reading a paragraph and at the end of it you don't remember any of what you read; your mind drifts to a different place than the topic you were reading. I daydreamed alot when I was a kid and it usually happened during a class I didn't like or found uninteresting. I am hoping with the help of Yoga I can stay in total focus on the target speeding up my thoughts to make the target appear slow moving and large while delivering the visual shot in the exact correct place. Anyway Trapshooting is fun and alot more fun when you break them all! Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.