1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

YO Walther ppk

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mr.mark, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

They look great on TV when James Bond shoots airplanes out of the air with one shot!

Look at the KAHR line of pistols.

I have the CW9 which is there economy model in 9mm.

They had some trigger issues when they first came out years ago, but the trigger on mine, (new last year), is excellent.

They are thin and easy to carry, mine weighs 19 ounces fully loaded and carries alot better than the colt mustang or the ppk.

The 9mm has alot more choices in available ammo for defensive purposes.

They have the MP9, which is a small frame polymer 9mm, even smaller than mine, weighs nothing and is much smaller than either the mustang or ppk.

Accuracy is relative, but I have shot many 2" groups at 15 yards with my KAHR and have yet to see a ppk in any caliber or a mustang print groups that good.

Just my humble opinion,

Mr.Mark

2. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I bought and shot a PPK a few years ago. The hammer kept biting into the web between my thumb and forefinger. Perhaps it's because I have large hands, but I sold it and bought a S&W CS9. Which, BTW, is now for sale if you are interested. email me off line.

XXgbatch@comcast.netXX delete the X's

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Mr. Mark is dead on.

I have both the PPK and Kahr. Carry the Kahr 85% of the time; XD in 45 10%; and a Seecamp 5%. Depends on clothes I will be wearing.

Used to carry the PPK 50% of the time but very rarely any more.

Don

4. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I sometimes carry the Khar MK-9 (stainless steel receiver). Damn accurate, controllable little pocket rocket.

I don't care much for the .40 version. Too much recoil, too many reports of
    frames cracking. Too much caliber for a gun not much bigger than the old AMT
    .380 pocket gun of the 1970s and MUCH more reliable.

Khar MK-9 : 9mm is what this base line is designed for.

PPK? Too finicky, I've always been able to make (or get an unexpected) FTF.
    Piss poor accuracy in .380. Excellent accuracy in .32 ACP. Classic? Yes. Seriously outdated from a practicality standpoint. The KEL TEC P-32 is a better .32 and the Khar MK-9 is better than a .380 PPK.

My vote? Pass on the PPK

5. 333t

333t Member

Check out the Bersa Thunder .380. These are very well made, reasonably priced, and have many desirable features. Sort of a PPK copy but they don't bite your hand. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/detail_bersa380.php

Phil

6. wild turkey

wild turkey TS Member

Get youself a small frame Glock!! If you are going to carry for self protection don't go any smaller than 9mm. .40 and .357sig are better but there are hot 9mm loads that will TCB.

While its true Glocks are not "classy lookin'" there are ultra reliable under a wide variety of conditions.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    re: "......Accuracy is relative, but I have shot many 2" groups at 15 yards with my KAHR and have yet to see a ppk in any caliber or a mustang print groups that good."<br>
    <br>
    I have a 1964 Walther PPK-L (L means Dural aluminum frame) in .22 LR. It's a tackdriver.

8. Loyac

Loyac Member

Check out the Sig 232. A better handgun than the PPK or PPKS. John

9. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

"I have a 1964 Walther PPK-L (L means Dural aluminum frame) in .22 LR. It's a tackdriver. "

Brian I don't doubt that the .22 long rifle walther you have is accurate.

However I do believe this thread is in relation to a self defense weapon.

And the original post was about a walther ppk, (made in several calibers from .22lr up to .380) or a mustang which came in .380.

Thus I kind of assumed that the original post was for a small frame .380 carry pistol. That is my fault for assuming!

If you would like to carry a .22 LR for self defense purposes then by all means do it. I prefer to carry a little more power that still delivers a certain degree of accuracy. For me the KAHR CW9 is the most accurate and easiest to conceal weapon in the lowest power round I am comfortable carrying.

If I want to drive tacks I have plenty of better suited .22LR pistols to fulfil the tasks but when it comes to betting my life I choose nothing LESS than a 9mm that is accurate enough to make a head shot out to at least 15 yards 100% of the time in case the need arises.

I also wanted to address the glock issue as I see it. They are very reliable easy to operate weapons and every one of them I have shot have been extremely accurate. I have owned one and got rid of it pretty quick. My biggest problem with glock is the grip angle because it points different than anything else in my arsenal and therefore require a different hold to shoot to natural point of aim. I want to be used to a pistol enough so that when I naturally raise my arm and point at the target the point of impact would be spot on without having to look at the sights. The other problem with glock for carry, or at least for me to carry one, is the double stack magazine! They are just too thick for me to comfortably conceal them. If you notice down below, I have two pistols I carry primarily and both are single stack guns, which allow you to carry extra magazines in a back pocket behind your billfold without adding to much bulk.

It appears there are many devoted KAHR fans on here! Great product!

I have many other pistols I carry from time to time but the KAHR is for when I'm in shorts and T-shirt and my Kimber ultra carry CDP2 in .45 ACP is for most all the other times. It will shoot 2" hand held groups at 25 yards and has a 3" barrel. It carries easy enough and I like being able to throw big 230 grain hollowpoints!

Mr.Mark

10. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I like shooting them. I find the DA trigger heavy, a negative for carry. The SA's on mine (PPK and PP, both .380) are very good. Capacity & caliber/power are both small. It's heavier than the Kahrs & no narrower, has a worse trigger, and has a snaggy exposed hammer. It's very slightly narrower & shorter in height than a Glock 19, but as heavy. My Kahr P9 and P40 are as small, lighter, and have far more firepower. A Kahr PM9/PM40: just no contest at all. I like the PP/PPK series, but never shoot or carry them any more; obsolete. Phil E

11. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

SIG 232 seems to be a bunch better than the rest of this breed. Just bear in mind that if you ever have to shoot someone with a .380 it will more than likely really piss them off. Based on experience, I have zero faith in that round.

12. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Having both a PPK (gray box, pre-S&W) and a Kahr PM-40, and having had a SIG 230, I'll take the Kahr any day. The PPK is nice enough to shoot, but the edge of its slide bites me on the top of my thumb knuckle. So does the Kahr, but I always figure that if I need it, slicing my knuckle is the least of my worries and if I get out of a scrape with nothing more than a scrape, so to speak, I've come out ahead. The Kahr is two steps bigger in its cartridge and runs about the same size - that's a no-brainer. The SIG was nice, and didn't bite - but no improvement on the PPK for cartridge and a bit larger. The PPK is the hardest of the three to shoot well, but it's easier than, say, a Walther TPK, which is a neat tiny .22 but VERY hard to shoot even acceptably.

If you want a PPK, Doda, I'm willing to part with mine. It's got Hogue grips, not the original plastic (they were left in the box too long and turned sticky). Makes it a bit thicker, but not too bad.

Tony

13. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I have the FEG Hungarian copy of the PPK and like it. It doesn't feed hollow points that well, but other than that it is really nice for the price. In fact the bluing is probably nicer than a real Walther. I don't know if they are still available, and I don't think it comes in stainless, but the FEGs are good. A friend of mine bought the Bersa and has been pleased with it. Doesn't look as much like a PPK but close. The FEG looks exactly like a blue Walther. I don't really like the .380 as a round, but it's better than nothing in Memphis in August. If I have to use it I full well intend to empty the magazine. 1 round will tick someone off, but 6 or 7 .380 ACP rounds should neutralize the threat.

14. Cat Fish

Cat Fish Member

I've owed and shot the PPK in the past. Never did lke it. May I suggest looking at the Rohrbaugh.

You receive some very good advise abov. The Sig is a grest pistol as is the Glock.

I carry the R9s.

Regards,

Bill

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Catfish, I checked out the site you put up on the Rohrbaugh, and I have a question about something I couldn't seem to find on that site.

What is the difference between the R9 and the R9s?

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

16. Hauxfan

Thanks, Doda.....Hauxfan!

17. Cat Fish

Cat Fish Member

Hauxfan,

As mentioned above by another list member, the “S” indicates the pistol has sights.

Although it was originally designed not to have sights, the buying public wanted them, hence the “S”.

Sorry for the late response.

Regards,

Bill

18. Hauxfan

No problem, Catfish, it was quite obvious to me once Doda pointed it out.

I can see where having no sights to hang up on anything might make it better to get out of your pocket in a hurry.

I also didn't see a price on them. Any idea how much?

Hauxfan!

19. Cat Fish

Cat Fish Member

Hauxfan,

The retail on the R9 or the R9s is in the $950.00 range.

I’ve included a link to the Rohrbaugh Forum. Check out the classified section.

The company came out with a .380 earlier this year. I’ve heard some owners of the R9 decided 9 mm wasn’t for them and went with the .380.

Rohrbaugh is the first to tell you their firearms are not for the inexperienced shooter. The 9 mm in such a small package can be a lot to handle for some.

Regards,

Bill

20. Hauxfan

Thanks, CatFish, interesting forum. I would never have guessed that gun cost that much.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.