1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Yipee ! Got my 35 year watch today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flyfishinfool, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I can't believe that 35 years ago today I started out as a young forester and that despite my many screw ups I am still employed by the same company.

And I know less now than I did then.

Amazing

Dan

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

35 years and all you got was a watch? Please tell me it is an extremely nice watch?

Forrest

3. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

No - I got more than a plain ol' watch

I got a sticker for my hard hat that says 35 years

Betcha ain't got one of those

Dan

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

So would that be congratulations or condolences? LOL

Seriously, 35 years? Wow - that's rather unheard of in this day and age. You can't possibly be old enough to have been with the same place for that long. I do hope it is a watch that you can pass on down...

5. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Congrats!!

6. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

My mother worked for the UVA in the admitions office for close to 40 years. They gave her a cat to pick what she wanted as a retirement gift. I looked through the cat and all I saw was nothing but AV stuff that you could go to a store and buy. Nothing great at all. She picked a TIMEX watch that had the ROTUNDA on it. A TIMEX WATCH FOR WORKING CLOSE TO 40 YEARS. I think they could have done better for a person who put something close to half their life to one job. To add to it when she started they had a good retirement plan but as the years went by they chipped alittle here and chipped alittle bit there till her retirement was nothing but a joke.

7. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Congrats!!!

35 years with the same company is something to be proud of. Almost unheard of these days.

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Looks like you've been there since Smokey was just a cub! Seriously, congrats on your longivety. Hope they give you more than a patch when you retire!

9. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I passed 30 year with the "outfit" this February.....however;

My "30 year watch" was a new BT99 :)

I LOVE my job!!!!!!!!

10. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

starshot2b - yep - 35 years - that means I probably have socks older than you are :)

Started out as a dirt forester buying Loblolly Pine cones for seed to be used in a nursery. Ended up as General Manager/VP of their real estate subsidiary.

And when I think of all the screw ups that could have and possibly should have cost me my career I feel lucky.

More than that I feel blessed. Where else could I have gotten paid to go out and look at land and get to deal with neat people. I have personally closed about 1000 real estate transactions in my careeer and supervised another 1200 deals. That is what I will miss the most. My wife tells me that I would never be happy retired because I wouldn't have a deal going.

But I think I will hang it up in about 20 months. I will be 59.

So many trout to catch. So little time. It's time to rip some lips !

Dan

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

congratulations

regards

gene

12. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Dan ,

Great record ! !

I received a 25 year watch in mid-December '91 and a pink-slip at the end of month ---

Bit the bullet and retired full time ; 2nd ooops 3rd best move of my life .

It is only work when there is something else you'd rather be doing . Don't work 'til you drop .

Well done ,
    Charlie

13. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Dan, I never realized in my comment that I didn't properly congratulate you. Congratulations!

I hope you stick to your 20 month plan...life's too short and there are trout with your name all over them!!!

Geez, I do hope I get to finally meet up with you before you head to the rivers, then we'll never see you again!

Sherree

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Congratulations! From me too. You will be happy retired....trust me. You will realize that now that you are not working that it seems as you have less time to do whatever it is you want to do. Just wait and see. Ray.......

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

my friend joined the navy out of high school for 4 years. Then went to work in a hot tire factory for 42 years. lots of the same going on there.

16. oletymer

oletymer Member

I retired 13 years ago. I took my 30 year watch and never looked back. You only live so long and you should try and get as much time as you can to enjoy life with your spouse, kids and grand kids. I could have stayed on but my pension would have grown only another 10 percent and it was not worth it. My wife and I invested wisely and we have no money worries.

17. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Way to go Dan! For those that do not personally know Dan, he is one heck of a nice guy. Typical trap shooter I guess because most that I have met over the years have been that way too.

Although, he IS from Arkansas, I don't hold that again him lol.

Congratulations Dan, have a great time in retirement. Just keep busy.

John

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have come to know Dan as a fine gentleman from Arkansas. He likes both M-12's and birds. He has helped me a lot with bird questions. From my talks with Dan over the "net" I am not surprised that he stayed with one company for 35 years. Dan indicated he was thinking about retirement but I would urge him to try for another 35 years.

Dan- The book you sent me has a place on a shelf by my office window. It is used frequently by me and my wife. I do now have a favorite bird. I hope your watch has a good battery.

Pat Ireland

19. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Congratulations, Dan.

20. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

John and Pat - thanks for the kind words

Sherree - I intend on being around long enough to collect on that hug that you promised me a couple of years ago.

And if you think working for 1 company for 35 years is unusual - try this one on for size. I have 3 people that work for me that have already reached their 35 year milestone. The 4 of us have 143 years in with the same company.

A fine Christian black lady has been my secretary for about 29 years. She can do no wrong in my book. Ya mess with her and ya gotta deal with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.