1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another thread about shot making

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Michael Pope, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Pope

Michael Pope TS Member

Apr 1, 2012
    My name is Michael pope. This is my first post on this forum.
    I joined to glean knowledge about shotmaking. My oldest sons and I are SASS shooters.
    This forum seems to have the most knowledge on the topic.
    I have searched previous threads for info and still have a couple of questions.
    I am going to buy a Jim Stewart machine, as I have visited his shop, and seen his product.
    The main question is about coolant. I've read many threads, but people are often experimenting and changing coolants. It is hard to tell what people are using with GOOD RESULTS and sticking with.
    Jim said "anything with water in it" is gonna make a dimple as the soft pellet is dented by rapidly expanding water vapor.
    Whatever I use needs to be rinsed with water. I want to know more about detergents, crop oil, antifreeze and E Trim 206.
    My plan is to build on a compact rolling cart with a circulator and radiator underneath.
    Thanks to all.
  2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Jamestown New York Area
    I use the undeluted anti-freeze from Walmart. Cheapest easiest to get for me. When I run low I just run down the street and get a jug,as you lose some each time you take a batch out.

Good choice on maker good luck finding good lead.

I get lil dimples here and there, most shape out with the tumbler and graphite.

Jerry Lewis
  3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    E trim 206 5/1 ratio. Maybe, a little more. Unlike the others, you can wash this stuff off with a little water, and it comes out clean. It even smells good, not greasy. I've had mine in the tank for over a year. As it gets low I just add some more, same ratio. No matter what I've used I've always had a small dimple. I've come to believe the only way you can get the dimple out is with a shot tower. Dimple or no dimple, my shot turns clays to dust if I do my part, and it patterns as good as anything else I've patterned. If you find a way to get the dimple out, please, let us know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.