1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

yet another etiquette question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Birch1007, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

While shooting handicap the other day, 2 of the squad were on the 20 yd line and the rest were on the 19. Before we switched stations the guy in front of me moved the speaker back to the 20 yard line. Did he do this becasue of my stunning good looks and charming personality? Should I be moving my speaker to the 19 yd line for the guy behind me before I move?

2. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

As far as I know it is just common courtesy to move the speaker for the shooter following you.

(While you may be deserving as to your looks and personality I doubt if many would move it for that reason--lol)

As a Senior Vet, I know I appreciate it when the shooter ahead of me has moved the speaker.

Allen

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's fine. if you don't want him to, just tell him thanks, but you'll get it yourself.

4. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I always move it if the shooter following me has a different yardage but if you don't that's fine also..some do some don't.Jerry

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Common courtesy is all it is. Its like stepping forward for the guy walking from post 5 to post 1.

6. shootsun

shootsun TS Member

Well said Calkidd...

Shane

7. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I always will move it for the shooter following me, then I usually have to move mine too when I get to the next station.

8. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Trapshooting is like karate, it should begin and end with respect. Even though I'm a young shooter I Firmly believe this is a gentlemen's sport and we should all conduct ourselves that way. Showing other shooters courtesy is a priority. Little things like not talking to fellow shooters between traps when they are in the zone and trying to stay focused will set good sportsmen apart from the pack.

9. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I was shooting handicap yesterday at Peoria with three other older gentlemen and I just had time to load my gun and it was my turn. Good squad! I broke 49 of the first 50 and the shooter to my left came to me after realizing I was shooting good and told me I didn't have to move his microphone if I didn't want to. I thought that was an awesome gesture. I still moved it as always but I thought it was cool that he noticed how others on the squad were performing and was trying to be a good squadmate and minimize any distractions to help me.

10. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

I don't move the speaker as it's never where the next shooter wants it anyway and they move it again. It's your responsibility to see that your standing on the correct yardage.

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

If you had ERADS you wouldn't have to move those stinking speakers....

FRedmon

PS - I move the speakers if need be...

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Dave, its not about guessing where the shooter exactly wants the speaker. Does it bother you if you move the speaker and the next shooter moves to his desired spot?

Bryan

13. SCL

SCL Member

What are "ERADS"?

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per most above I usually do move the mic's, I try to be courteous.

SCL--If you haven't used (seen) the ERADs they are a small mic about 1\2 the thickness of a deck of cards that clips to your vest-shirt-collar that stays with you for the entire round on that field, just give them back to the scorekeeper after you finish, very handy & saves a lot of time, a little pricey right now but like the Canterberry units will probably come down as more clubs start using them. The only issue is to remember to hand them back to the scorekeeper when you finish, otherwise you are walking around-headed home-etc. with the mic & the scorekeeper is running around trying to find you & they are short 1 or more mic's for the next group. They are really nice just have a learning period like anything else new to the market. Ross Puls

15. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I do not want the stand moved for me.

Being left handed it is never where I wantt anyway, which in center of the walkway, not off to one side.

So usually if it is moved for me, I have to move it again, and if the score keeper does not turn off the machine, then twice as manytargets are wasted, during the moving of the mic stand.

16. SCL

SCL Member

Thanks Ross. I thought our clubs were cool with just the cordless releases systems. Never seen one of those. HMM.

17. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

This is the same as a right handed shooter (me) following a left handed shooter. I always have to move the speaker to the left hand side of the post from the right side of the posr. No big deal.

Maybe it's a nervous habit but I move the speaker to where I want it anyway.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It's just a courtesy, kind'a like holding the door open for someone coming just behind you.

John C. Saubak

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The way I see it, he probably took a liking to you and wanted to show you in some little discreet way ...

I am toally respectfull of anyone and everyone unless they give me reason not to be, that being said I do not move the speakers and prefer that the person in front of me doesn't either ... I don't see it as a big deal either way, to each their own ... I do hold the door open for the person behind me though and for ladies ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I usually take note of where the shooter behind me moves it to and try to place it there for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.