1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

yee haa, my sons gunna start shooting!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by coho, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coho

coho Member

i’ve been waiting for this day for 9 years, my son watched me shoot at the wyoming state shoot last weekend and now says he wants to start shooting, He hasn’t shown any interest prior to this so I’m pretty pumped. I was thinking about getting him a youth model 11 87 20 ga. Does anyone have another suggestion for a good starter gun for a 9 year old.

2. Guy

Guy Member

Forget the 20 ga. deal.....I also waited for my boy to show some interest, and after years of sitting on the bench playing his Gameboy or whatever while I shot, out of the blue one day he said "When can I shoot?" I said any time....he said, what am I going to do for a gun....I said, you have a safe full of guns....he thought about it a minute, and got a big grin on his face.....well, now I've created a monster.....in addition to trap, I made the mistake of taking him to zz shoots and a pigeon shoot.....you can figure out the rest from there.

If he is big enough, find a cut down 1187 or 390 in 12 gauge.....1 oz. loads, and he is good to go.....and find somebody else to give him the initial instructions.....kids are funny that way. I don't give my boy much conversation except about safety and protocol....I just want him to throw lead down the barrel....the rest will follow. Find a juniors clinic.

Next....look out. You may get what you've wished for.

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I would suggest an auto in whatever brand you would prefer. I tried the 20 ga. pump routine and it kicked the snot out of my youngest son. Gave him my old BT-99 with soft 1 oz'ers and helped him hold the gun up until he could do it himself. Have never looked back. Good luck with getting the 5hit-eating grin off your face as you watch him shoot!!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. dwmiller

dwmiller TS Member

I have two daughters that shoot and they both started with Beretta 391 traps,
    soft recoil. The small youth 20ga, and 12ga kick like a mule and you will have to upgrade after a year or so. Go straight to a 12ga. I help coach a all girls team and we have little girls start off with 12ga. A BT-99 micro is another good starter gun.

Have fun these last several years shooting with my kids have been some of the funnest times I have had with them. It will keep you at the reloading bench a little more also.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

While an 870 would work in 20 ga. what you really need to look at is making sure what ever you purchase properly fits your son or you won't have a son showing interest for very long. If he is strong enough without wearing him down a 12 ga would be ideal. But if its to much weight then settle on a 20.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Coho, my son also wanted to shoot, but as Jerry B mentioned about his kid, the 1100 20 ga kicked the snot out of him and whacked his cheekbone, He lost interest in that for a few years......kept him shooting the .22 however....when he was a bit older (12ish)all of a sudden he could hold up the XT w/o and issues and started to break them!! a year later he swept the Sub Junior events in my state....now at 21 he hasn't shot a registered target in 3 yrs....I am hoping he will be back someday(he can pay!). Still shoots the local league tho....seems like the normal evolution of a Trapshooter.

7. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Coho: Enjoy the years ahead. My son actually got me into this game-he started at 11 and I knew nothing about shells, guns etc. As new shooters show up at the club today I typically recommend a break open 12 gauge (BT99) using either 1 ounce or 7/8 ounce loads-not the 1350fps hunting stuff. I keep some 7/8 ounce soft shooting reloads around to give to the new young shooters. The extra speed of a soft 7/8 oz 12 gauge load will allow them to hit a few more targets on the corners. good luck and enjoy, roger

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

The problem with putting a shorter stock on a regular size gun is that with the still full length barrel and the shorter stock the gun is extremely unbalanced. The added leverage of the long barrel extending beyond the front support hand tends to make the smaller shooters lean backwards to support the gun. I like to start the smaller shooters, with limited strength, out with the Mossberg Bantams, they come in 20 and 12 gauge, 22" and 24" barrels, respectively, ported with choke tubes. Priced about $300. Put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock and they balance perfectly for the young shooter. Being a pump you can use shells that would be too light to operate a gas gun, and the "old farts" won't sit around complaining about the danged kid with the auto loader spitting hulls all over the place. If you are located in the south eastern Pennsylvania region, email me and I'll let him try one and see how he does.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A second (or third) vote for a quality gas operated auto in 12 guage. The 391 Beretta and Remington 1100 make my short list. If you aren't loading shells, start and make him some nice 7/8 Oz, 1150 FpS shells.

10. coho

coho Member

thanks for the input, i have a 12 ga 1100, i'll see if he can hold it up but like bid dave said, i don't want him leaning back to shoot. i have a friend who has an izh break open 12 ga, i'll see if he can shoot that, it seems light and short enough. i've got some 7/8 ounce wads, i'll look into loading up some for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.