1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

years shooting.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johnboy, Jul 24, 2013.

1. johnboy

johnboy Member

Just wondering what the average shooting life of a competitive shooter is? Most of the people I started shooting with have stopped shooting for one reason or another. I am still enjoying competitive shotgun shooting going into the seventeenth season. I will add that I primarily shoot skeet but have enjoyed shooting trap for several of the seventeen years.

2. Nutso

Nutso Member

Since 2001, but I've taken a couple of years off here and there. I shoot both ATA and NSSA, usually one or the other, a couple of years both during the same season.

3. JRW

JRW Member

Started in 1973, had to quit about 5 yrs when kids were young. Have not shot much this year due to shoulder problems.

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Please define "competetive".

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

53 years non-stop

Ed Yanchok

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

started registered in 1968 but actually started a little with my dad about 1962 so that makes it 51 long and expensive years nonstop motordoc

7. RayReys

RayReys Member

Dreamed of being an Olympic shotgun shooter after seeing Kim Rhode (who was around my age) in the magazines in the mid/late nineties...took me until 2011 to actually shoot some sort of formal event...so that makes only 2 years for me-

On the bright side, I have (God willing) many more years of good shooting ahead :)

8. bubbasdad92

bubbasdad92 Member

I've shot some variety of competition since about 1970 - bench rest rifle, off-hand rifle, combat pistol, bull's eye pistol and shot my first registered trap targets in 2002. Shotguns and wing-shooting have always been my first love and I expect I will continue shooting competitive trap as long as I am able.

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I have shot for money since I was a teenager, about fifty years ago. NSSA, NSCA, International Skeet, pigeons, local turkey shoots, you name it. I think I will quit next year.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

45 years shooting ATA and still 48 years total competitive shooting clay targets

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. johnboy

johnboy Member

By competitive shooting I am referring to ATA, NSSA, NSCA events.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Started at age 11 in 1959. Started registering in !973. Never stopped. Never lost interest.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Shot my first registered targets in 1958 (the first Volunteer Skeet Shoot), then several health problems, including age, temporarily stopped me in the early 2000's. Prayer, proper nutrition, and meds got me back to shooting, mostly for fun.

I shot several Doubles events this year for fun and fellowship. Getting old ain't for sissies. LOL

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I'd say 5 to 7 years is the norm.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

15. Coffee Creek Shooter

Coffee Creek Shooter Member

46 years with 7 years off when the kids were in college - still shooting - still love it

16. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Registered since 71'.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Started Trap in 1975 (38 years). Rifles, since I was a kid in the 1950's. Took a few years off when the kids went to college.

18. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Shot small game with my father starting in 1948 with a M 12 20 ga. (65) years. Started reloading in 1957 with a custom made reloader from a tool & die maker. I would buy some card & fiber wads, a pound of red dot in a paper bag, 300 primers & a bag of shot from Evans Hardware in Grand Rapids,Ohio. Seems like the shot was $5. or $6.00. Bud Frazier was the owner. 50 targets in the old days was a big shoot. First shot from the traps at Martin,Oh 1955(58 years) then Fisher Brothers(now Jaqua's) in Findlay,Oh in 1957. We shot in a pasture field in 1954. Have attended 53 Grand Americans starting in 1957. Have shot and owned about 25 diff. trap guns. Still shooting towards my next milestone of 75,000 handicap targets. Lord willing,I will complete that this target year. Shoot the games weekly along with registered on the week ends. I think I am winding down my registered shooting.

Clyde Doll

19. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Been shooting trap for 4 years, I will be 74 in about 3 weeks, I look forward to every shoot I attend, started from scratch with no help except for reading books and watching videos and high scoring shooters. My average this year is 95.25 with a single 100 straight. I have no intentions of quitting.

20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I was hunting with my Dad in 1952 and shot in a Trap league in MN in 1961. I started registered shooting in 1964 at Owatonna MN and a week ago today I shot at and broke my 100,000th registered Singles target.