1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Yeah, let's put this guy in charge of the IRS. LOL

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JBrooks, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Jan 13, 4:26 PM (ET)

By BRETT J. BLACKLEDGE

WASHINGTON (AP) - President-elect Barack Obama's choice to run the Treasury Department and lead the economic rescue effort disclosed to senators Tuesday that he failed to pay $34,000 in taxes from 2001 to 2004, a last-minute complication in an otherwise smooth path to confirmation.

Timothy Geithner paid most of the past-due taxes days before Obama announced his nomination in November, an Obama transition official said. The unpaid taxes were discovered by Obama's transition team while investigating Geithner's background, the official said.

The transition official requested anonymity because the source was not authorized to discuss Geithner's situation.

Obama reiterated his support Tuesday for Geithner as senators who are considering the appointment quizzed Geithner behind closed doors.

"He's dedicated his career to our country and served with honor, intelligence and distinction," incoming White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said. "That service should not be tarnished by honest mistakes, which, upon learning of them, he quickly addressed."

Geithner failed to pay self-employment taxes for money he earned while working for the International Monetary Fund from 2001 to 2003, the transition official said. In 2006, the IRS notified him that he owed $14,847 in self-employment taxes and $2,383 in penalties from 2003 and 2004.

Transition officials discovered last fall that Geithner also had not paid the taxes in 2001 or 2002. He paid $25,970 in taxes and interest for those years several days before Obama announced his nomination, the transition official said.

Geithner also didn't realize a housekeeper he paid in 2004 and 2005 did not have current employment documentation as an immigrant for the final three months she worked for him, the transition official said.

Geithner is the second Obama nominee to face controversy. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson withdrew his name on Jan. 4 as Obama's Commerce secretary after questions surfaced about an ongoing federal investigation."

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I just watched the NBC Nightly News sweep the whole issue under the rug. It was only a $42,000 "oversight"; a drop in the bucket, hardly more than the Democrat Baltimore Mayor took.

I don't know what bothers me more: that they're crooked, or that they sell their honor so cheaply.

3. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

$2,383 in penalties on not paying $14,847? When was the last time you heard of an IRS penalty ONLY being 16%. Yea, never.

For us mere mortals, the IRS doesn't care about honest mistakes.

Clincher is, if he would have never been nominated, THEY WOULD HAVE NEVER FOUND OUT AND HE'D WOULD HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

What should bother you is NBC.

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Imagine Bush trying to get this guy approved 4 years ago. No Way.

6. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Any one out there thinking Charlie Rangle, Dem., New York, got a pass on the failure to pay income taxes on his Dominican Republic rental? Now he writes tax laws in Congress. Then comes a potential Treasury Secretary appointee who did not pay timely Social Security taxes and/or other payroll taxes. When are we going to demand better from elected and/or appointments? This is insane. I wouldn't vote to elect either as our Gun Club Treasurer, but then again, we have higher standards for our volunteers. Darrell

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Another chance for the Dems to rape the country! Great choises this President elect is making! Rhamm, now this kuckle head give them the keys to the bank vault we're so hosed!

8. JOND

JOND TS Member

Remember,if he is confirmed,he will be looking at your tax returns!! JOND

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Wonder what the media response would of been if Sarah Palin was found to not have paid taxes?? A literal lynching, not a media lynching for her. This guy - just ignore it. Ignore it like we ignore Teddy K drowning a girl incident. Ignore credible evidence that Slick Willie might of raped a woman back in Ark.

NBC news? What a joke. They are the ones who rigged the bombs to get the GM trucks to blow up years ago.

NBC is owned by General Electric, I wonder if they hire the same type of people to build their jet engines and nuclear reactors as they do for their news business?

10. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I screwed up on my 941 deposits (employee with holding)one time, and the fine was 100%.

but cnn said it was an honest mistake.......so I guess it's ok!!

lol

tony

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

OB and his appointments are going to get a "free pass". I watched the Hillary hearings. Could have puked.

Time for the American Conservative Revolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.