1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Yardage Suggestion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sam M, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam M

Sam M TS Member

I would like to throw out a suggestion for any delegates out there. Others chime in as you wish.

Minimum yardage of 20 yards for any man or veteran, 19 for ladies, juniors, sub juniors and senior vets.

I witnessed several middle aged adult men shooting from the 18 yard line last weekend. What have we come to?

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Those full grown men had been shooting from the 20 and our ATA decided to give them a chance to be competetive with the voluntary 2 yd reduction. Been hashed out a lot here.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

As mentioned it has already been discussed.

Handicap should start at the 22 with no possible reduction below the 22 yard line.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

And that'll mean what??

5. Sam M

Sam M TS Member

A robust handicap system.

6. Sam M

Sam M TS Member

A robust handicap system adequately differentiated from the 16 yard line.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rich and Sam... Yes. a hacndicap system for those that dare to try and willing to work. 22 and a new punch system.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The singles should be shot at 20. Raise the bar, and end some of these long shoot offs.

Just enough to make a difference.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Start handicap at the 25 yard line and back to the 32. That oughta take care of them lowly sandbaggers.

GneJ

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm not against Senior Vets and Sub Juniors shooting from the 18. It's all relative.

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Barry, so if a shooter is old enough to be a senior vet, signs up to shoot. He does not declare senior vet for the shoot. Would he still be allowed to shoot from the 18?

GneJ

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Sure. That's the way it's handled now.

13. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I would really like to see some honest average figures on just how much the average 20 yd shooter improved when they were moved to the 18 yd line.

I did a couple of guys I know.. and both of them shot a lower average after being moved up.

Jerry B

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wife and I watched a few squads of very short yardage shooters at the Cardinal last week. Leo should not feel threatened!!

15. 2labman

2labman Member

Let's see, no one here wants to see mandatory reductions, hey, I made the 27 yard line 15 years ago, so what if I can't break a 90 anymore, it's my choice. Yet you want to move those who can't break a punch score from the 18 to say the 22 or the 25, because it will make a more 'robust' handicap system. So those shooters are now breaking scores in the 60's or 70's instead of the 80's. How is that more robust?? Remember the number of shooters, and there is a lot of them, who can't break a winning handicap score from the 16 yard line, but hey, let's move them back even farther. No, they won't quit, they're just contributing to a robust handicap.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Not me! Nary a punch...

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Gosh we've talked about handicap allot over the years. Just yesterday after reading someone's commentary on the perception that there are shooters out there winning hand over fist from the short to mid yardages, I began to reflect on my own reality.

I shot my very first registered handicap target at the Maryland State shoot in 2006. Since then I have registered 18,000 handicap targets. My lifetime percentage of broken handicap targets is 86.23%.

During those seven (7) years I've won but five (5) trophies:

Champ, small shoot with a 90 from the 20yd line

Champ same small shoot with a 96 from the 21

Yd group win small shoot with a 91 from the 21.5

Yd Group win Grand Am Kolar hcp with a 98 from the 22 (after shoot off for 12 place)

Yd group win with a 94 from the 23.5

During my best year in 2010, my performance was 88.21%.

Except for my first year when I didn't have enough targets, I've never advanced beyond the 25. I'm now on the 22.5.

I really believe my story is pretty typical regarding wins and annual performance, although I probably register more targets than the mean (which further validates my conclusions). Also, I don't shoot many "small" shoots and no big 50s.

To look at it another way, out of 180 events to date, I've only won/placed in five. That's 2.7% of them--not exactly running away with the loot is it?

I stipulate that we short to middle yard shooters pose relatively little threat to winning all the loot from the really good shooters.

Guy Babin

18. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Guy be careful there may be a code in your future. I have a similar record as you but it spans 25 years. I wascoded because I shot a 98 at the Southern Grand, behind Leo's 100 and sub-junior who shot a 99. As it happens in the prior 22,000 handicap targets I shot a 96 or above 6 times I believe. I placed, not won, in 6 of my last 40 major shoots and that was too many so I was coded by Terry Roush at the request of a third party. So watch those 98"s or you could be looking at a code. JRM

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Whats the 16 yrd average for these same shooters your talking about. If they only have 92 -93 % a few yards will make a difference even if its only mental.

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Do away with any yardage under the 25.....

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.