Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

yardage reductions...

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Jim Elliott 
#1 ·
How do yardage reductions work?? The ATA's computers review you each 1,000 targets. Do they simply review your raw average or are oddly high or low scores thrown out?

I have read that one can also REFUSE a reduction.

FN in MT

#6 ·
Your handicap score is reviewed by a computer once every 1000 birds. The 1000 birds reviewed are in the order that they are put into the computer and might not be the order that they were shot. If you earn yardage, your clock starts over from that point. You will be offered a reduction if you have not earned yardage, your handicap average is below a cut off point and you do not have any special codes placed on you.

Pat Ireland

#7 ·
Pat is correct however,there are a couple of other factors. If you earn yardage at the Grand can not usually get a reduction for 2 years without a special reveiw. Actually Pat DID cover that under the code info I guess. I just aaded it as one of the codes he was refering to. Also you have to shoot at least 500 16 yd. targets and those cannot be above a certain break point(don't ask me why)! Personally I don't see what your 16 yd. scores have to do with it, but that's the way some genius wrote the rules.

#9 ·
Hello Phil,

I agree somewhat with Phil but only for the other guy, not me. Yes there are many shooters that are shooting beyond their optimum yardage. But do we want everyone in the handicap event to shoot 100 straight. I have always thought the break ponts the ATA use for reductions were very high. Not very many of us week end warriors as one of my squadmates calls us can maintain an 89-90 average from our handicap yardage. I have never taken a reduction in my 15 seasons of ATA shooting. I got tired of sending in the refusall letter and called the ATA office and got"D" coded. That was good for one season and had to be renewed each year. Now we have the "K" code and will stay on forever until you ask to have it removed.

Yes sometimes a shooter will have his day and get punched beyond their ability but still the deed was done and could happen again. I have never carried a high average from the 27 yard line and maybe its because I love to shoot and find myself on the line in some very unsavory weather just to be able to shoot. For example I have registered a low of 59, at the U>S Open in Sparta in the cold windy rain, and highs of 98's and 97's at this years Grand. If I am going to shoot well, just a few times a year I want to say that I beat the top shooters, Like Phil, from the same yardage they shot at or I would consider it a hollow victory.

#10 ·
slide action:

"If you earn yardage at the Grand can not usually get a reduction for 2 years without a special reveiw.(op. cit.)"

This was once true but apparently is not so now.

I earned a yard during the Grand in 2007. I promptly fell into a slump and for the next 1000 plus targets couldn't hit the ground. A few days before my 2008 state shoot (approx. 10 months after getting the punch) I received a reduction notice - back to the 26. It was the result of a routine 1000 target review. I thought the reduction had to be an error and called my ATA delegate. To my suprise, it was not an error.

Maybe one of our resident ATA officials can explain the current rule and how it is applied.

sissy

#13 ·
If one earn 1.5 or more yards at the Grand or any other shoot, it results in an H code that prevents a reduction for two years. This can be removed by the CHC. Yardage earned at the Grand is treated just as yardage earned at any other club by the ATA. A few states may still use a penalty yardage at state shoots for yardage earned at the Grand on the previous state shoot but I am not aware of any of them.

Pat Ireland

#14 ·
Well, I got my "We regret to inform you that you suck at the 25 yard line" reduction letter in the mail yesterday.

From 25 to 24.

Much as it is a blow to my ego, I'll probably accept it.

#16 ·
sarge:

With respect, if you had carefully read Kent's comments, you would have noticed he directed them at himself and ONLY himself.

"I agree... with Phil but only for the other guy, NOT ME."

"If _I_... shoot well, I want to say that _I_ beat the top shooters, Like Phil, from the same yardage they shot at or I would consider it a hollow victory."

It is clear Killian prefers to compete from the fence and to win or lose from the fence. Whether he is competitive from that yardage is a separate question. The point is he's made a choice. If he wins, he won't have to say, "I won from a shorter yardage than my opponents".

His comments contain nothing disrespectful to other shooters.

sissy

#17 ·
Reduced from 22 to 21 this past June. Went from 86% on 1,100 targets, to 89% on 1,500 targets since.

The reduction hurt my feelings, but not as much as my continued slow progress to get significantly better and win.

I'm very happy with a 3% increase. Time and the numbers will tell the effectiveness of the move.

Foolish pride is a wasted emotion. Overcoming a setback on a quest for improvement fosters healthy pride.

Guy Babin

#18 ·
Everyone wants to get to the 27 that is why it's there. But if your in a slump maybe a reduction will get you out of it and then you can surpass your previous group quicker. I just went through the last 6 month on the 25 couldn't catch a break 94 and 95 then 92 not bad by an average stand point but not enough for a punch either and to much for a reduction thinking I may be stuck there I would of welcomed a reduction to clear my mind a bit. Jeff

#19 ·
I have always accepted reductions. Yes you may shoot yourself back again, but at least you have the pleasure of shooting a respectable score.

For most good shooters it takes a great deal of practice and participation in sanctioned events to be able to maintain a respectable average. And that can be hard to do for many of us. I agree with Mr. Kiner's comments and also feel
mandatory reductions should be implemented. Just because you make it to the 27 does not, in my opinion, justify staying there. - Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.