1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Yardage reduction. Take it or not?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by miketmx, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jack, as a friend with a TMX forget all the psycho babble and take the reduction. My last two reductions lasted for less than 600 Handicap targets and I am back on the 27 again. I take every reduction that is offered because that is how the system works but then I get that lucky weather related 97 and end up again at the longer yardage. For me every punch I get is somehow related to how well I can see the targets on a particular day. Bad weather and wind don't help my average at all but Handicap is all about accomplishment of a personal goal and not about average.

2. prickly pear

prickly pear TS Member

Sounds like your goal is to make it to the 27 yard line - but is that more important than shooting good scores? Agreed, it is a goal and a good one, but at what price? I would take the reduction. You might just find that the 25 yd line is the one for you. You will shoot better scores and who knows, one of them might just get you to the 27 yd line. If more people adhered to the system as it was designed (taking their reductions) the playing field would be more level. Too many people are shooting from yardage that is beyond their capabilities.

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Take the reduction I have never turned one down I had been on the 27 a couple of times in the past but I don't belong there right now so when ever I start back shooting in full force then if the A.T.A. wants to send me 4 yards off then I would glady accept it.

Like Mike said you will gain the yardage back probably in a short time just look at the scores at the big shoot's you have to break a 98 and better to win anything at all and the scores that gets punched in the low 90's at a small shoot just don't cut it in a big shoot.

A lot of times since trap is a lot of a mental game then by moving up 1 yard might just be the ticket for a real good score.

Foghorn

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

They didn't give you the "turn down" option when you got the punch(s). Break 'em all!

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Shoot where you are comfortable.

Don

6. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I wonder, what is the threshold when the ATA decides to ask you to take a reduction?

Is it below 90% on a consistent basis or is it the length of time at a certain yardage without a punch?

Thanks,

Kevin

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

For what its worth, I took my reduction from 25 to 24.

8. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I was in a shootoff at the NE Grand with a guy who told me he had just took a yardage reduction to the 25 yard line. We had to shoot on different traps because I was only on the 21 yard line. I lost the shootoff and got a 1.5 yard punch he won the shootoff and I think he got a 2 yard punch right back to the 27 where he started. I think he had just got to the 25 at that shoot. Go figure

9. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Take the reduction. That is why the rules make you more competative. If you did
    not need the reduction you will get the yard back soon.

Dave

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I bypassed a reduction from 26.5 to 25.5 last spring, big mistake for me. I had gone to 26.5 from 25 and had problems shooting from the 26 right away, the scores dropped and the average dropped a full 3.9 birds! from 89.5 to 85.6. I refused the reduction, and all summer tried to get back to the 27 all the while shooting horrible scores. fianlly got another reduction in the mail and took it! Now I am shooting better (at least have had scores in low 90's since. Don't rush it trying to get to the 27, you'll get there when you are ready! I felt that it was a wasted summer, not having any fun in the Caps! - my .02 anyway...your results may vary- FC

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bucko43 you asked "I wonder, what is the threshold when the ATA decides to ask you to take a reduction?

Is it below 90% on a consistent basis or is it the length of time at a certain yardage without a punch?

COMPUTER REVIEW is the term used for regular 1000 Target
    Reviews processed by the computer. The output from these reviews is
    either a one yard reduction or a “no change” review,

BREAK POINT is the average looked at by the computer to determine
    if a reduction is warranted. Break points are different depending on
    zone of residence.

Eastern Zone: 89%

Central Zone 90%

Southern Zone 89%

Southwestern Zone 90%

Western Zone 90%

These reviews are automatically generated by the computer.

Bob Lawless

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Let me express a contrary view. I bounced around between 20 and 23 yards over many years and almost 25,000 ATA handicap targets, reaching a high of 24 yards once. I turned down about half the reductions I was offered. In the early spring of 2007 I was sent a reduction, I believe from 22 to 21 yards. I planned on going to the SW Grand and wanted to shoot with some friends from Idaho who were all on the 27. Instead of accepting the reduction, I emailed Neil and asked him, as a voting member of the Executive Committee, to increase me to the 25. He probably did not think it was in my best interest, but did as I requested. My handicap averages from 25 that summer were about the same as before (about 88%), and I did pick up 1/2 yard for a 96. This year was again about the same, except for two consecutive weekends, where I picked up one yard each for a 98 and 97, and finally made the 27. My scores still reflect a sort of "the wheels came off" structure, where the misses come suddenly and in bunches. It does not make much difference whether I'm at the 27, 25, 22, or even 16. If I screw up the bird flies on; if I don't, it is gone in a cloud of smoke. I don't think one yard makes much difference. If you want to shoot from the 26, do it.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jack, your singles average of 91 is barely above the handicap reduction mark of 90. I'd take the reduction and work very hard on being a better singles shot in addition.Learning how to improve your singles scores/averages will instill the mental decipline necessary to shoot better handicaps too. Food for thought in MHO. Hap

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I took my reduction the first time it was offered from the 27 to the 26. I'll also take the next one if it is offered. If a reduction is offered, you need it.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jack,

Have you ever met Kirby face to face? If not, I hope some day you do.

"He is a hoot" is an understatement. He is one funny SOB.

Tim

16. jd288

jd288 TS Member

This is a polotical site. Don't be putting shooting garbage on here.

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

What is a polotical site? Is that some new type of Clay Target Sport.

Bob Lawless

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you recieve a reduction in the mail how long do you have to decide whether to accept it or refuse it? I assume that if you actually USE the new card to shoot at the new reduced yardage then you would by that act be accepting the reduction, but if you let's say recieve a reduction this October and don't shoot an ATA event 'til next spring.........do you have all winter to make up your mind?

John C. Saubak

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

John- Some do just as you have described. If the card is toss in the trash and you continue to shoot from the previous yardage, after 300-400 targets, the system figures out you have refused the reduction. It is much better for the ATA records to mail back the card if you refuse the reduction.

MIA- You have a personal decision to make and I hope you make the decision that gives you the most enjoyment. My opinion about what would make you the most happy would not be worth much to you.

I can tell you that making the 27 is a big thing until you get there. Then you will find that it really is not such a big thing. Reminds me of a girl I dated long ago.

Pat Ireland

20. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

hi mia, do whatever feels right. i've turned down 4 and took the last one. shooting bad sucks but i shoot just as bad from the 22 as i did from 23, i'm just a yard closer.jackmitch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.