1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

yardage question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ricks1, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Ok got a question. what is the AVERAGE yards that a target is hit at? At the 16yd line That is 48ft from front of house. But where you hit the target is [i know different] but about total how far.If you move back to the 27 then how far? I have an Outers 3/4 cock with the heavy spring. It will put one target straight away 115yds where it hits the ground. We set up to see if we could break a target at 100yds. The only gun in the bunch we tried that could do it was a win 97 with a 30in barrel and 1 1/4 oz of no6. I have a 3in model 12 and it couldnt Iam not saying that none broke but the 97 could do it more offen.
    We used a yard sign as the reference point .Standing 25yds behind the trap and when target got to sign was 100yds.We had a spotter that was standing off to see how close to the crossing point. Just didnt know on a trap field

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I usually break them @ 12.2245 yds out of the trap house.

hope this helps.

tony

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Then from the 27 you would be looking at about a 40yd shot. For patters?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Breaking Distance- Thirty yards for singles and 40 yards for handicap is not a bad estimate for the typical shooter.

Pat Ireland

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Is that "pitter, patters" @ 40 yds.?

Curt

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The average shooter would be very lucky, indeed to break a 27 yard target at 40 yards. DryFire will prove it.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

shot410ga- A quick look at patterns will tell you that if you make 100 perfectly aimed shots at 50 yards, your score will probably be less than 90.

Pat Ireland

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Remington used to offer its "Trapshooting Fundamentals Handbook" product #E-82447. The one I am referencing is ed. 3/97, which offers a trajectory diagram - "Arc of Target Flight" on page #4.

In its example, it listed "singles" as taken at @20 yds with "doubles" taken at @17 & @25 yds respectively from the trap.

Respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have read that the average shooter takes his target at 33 yards from the 16 yard line. I have also read that the average shooter takes it at 36 yards.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ricks1, some of those old Winchester 97s had a far different method of choking too!

"The only gun in the bunch we tried that could do it was a win 97 with a 30in barrel and 1 1/4 oz of no6."

Some were what's called "taper bored" being bored with a gradual taper from the forcing cone to the parallel straight section at the end?

I have a friend that's adapting one of those 97 barrels to his model 12, I think his is a 32 inch tapered full. Great shooters those old guns!

Hap

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Sarge. You make your point. But the point of a forum is for folks to pose entertaining queries to the forum audience and get people thinking and perhaps some new answers will arise.

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Well thanks for answers. If you all ever get a chance shoot a pattern at 100yds. Most guns a dog could not get hit. The old 97 is a squirrel gun for sure. The model 12 duck will do it with a 3in buffer mag but at $35 a box we didnt try many. I have a old pre 10 rem that has the "long range" choke It was good too. POI on the rem and win are different so didnt get the hits . It was just a play thing. I clay target at 100yds is very small looking at the side

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is the best yardage to hit the clay in trap shooting