1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

yardage question,

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

can an ata member request to be moved from the 20 yard line to the 22 yard line ? the reason i ask is that your are competing with three times the shooters at the 19,20,21 yardage vs the 22/23 24/25, 26/27. this is for yardage purses and trophies.

2. smsnyder

believe it or not i know a few guys who would have won more trophies and money in 22/23 yardage group vs 19/20/21 group.

3. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

for at least a couple of years, the ATA will increase your handicap yardage upon request up to 25 yards. Of course you cannot get a reduction for 2 years but I am certain all the prize money and trophies you will win will make up for it.

4. smsnyder

very little difference between 20 yards and 22 yards. There is a huge difference competing with 19/20/21 yard shooters. Not only do you compete with three times the shooters but you also compete with some other classes as well. I would also BET that the majority of the ata members are 19/20/21 yard shooters. Neil could answer this one. After 15 years at the 20 yard line with no handicap or purse win i think i'll take the chance.

5. smsnyder

Nyttro, you mean if i request an advance to the 22 yard line from the 20 yard line and win my class in that yardage i did not earn it. Wrong, I am just cutting down the odds but still must shoot well to win. So now i charge for the 27 yard group. It is possibble. I know guys who are at the 27 yard line and shoot terrible but refuse a reductiuon. That is stupid. If i didn't think i could handle it i wouldn't do it. Besides that your goal maybe the 27 yard line but my goal may be to win the Grand American. Which would you rather have? thanks for your response.

6. smsnyder

earl4140 that's funny. not the reason. Also, other reason for this thread .

7. smsnyder

i pretty much decided that i am requesting an increase to 22 yards. Why, 15 years at the 20 yard line is enough. Two, i see the same people. Three, it cuts down on competition in my yardage group 19/20/21 vs 22/23.24/25,26/27 and other groups as well.. Four, I don't fell there is much difference in 20 yards vs 22 yards handicap scores. Why, because i shot a 77 and 88 in 16 yards Saturday and a 93 in handicaps today. My handicap averages are many times better. Five, if you look at the Grand american handicap scores over 107 years 75% is won my yardage groups of 20 to 22 yarders. That tells me there is little difference. I have nothing to loss compared to the last 15 years. i may not win but i'll be in more interesting territorry. Remember, i am asking for an increase to win not a decrease. How often do you hear that? Who do i send a letter to?

8. smsnyder

yes, i give alot of things away. Mostly money. especially for the kids in the SCTP program. I am a believer in helping kids in this sport. lol

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Earl, if you'd take the time to learn the basics of shooting consistently good scores from the 16, then, those same basics would carry over to your handicap shooting. Your about to make another misque with that line of thinking is my humble opinion. Good luck guy. Hap

10. smsnyder

sarge, good point. But i do't buy it. If a shooter request an increase in yardage and he or she thinks they can handle it. Why not that's the rules. Now if i saw a guy move back a few yards and he starts winning i would have to say they earned it by making the right move and decision. Now my avearge in caps is 2006 was 82.08. In 2007 it will probably be 89 or 90. My average will be about the same weither i shoot at 20 vs the 22 yards. The only difference i will be a new territority . This will give me renewed outlook to stay in the sport and the possibility of moving back from there. Reaching the 27 yard line is not my goal.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Msnyder...........If you can't even shoot a 96 for a 1/2 yard increase from the 20 what makes you think you can shoot good from the 22?

A year ago I got my first 1/2 punch and them this year I've gotten 3-1 yard punches in 2 1/2 months. Believe me anybody can shoot good on a given day from a longer yardage than they are use to but your not going to be very consistent the rest of the time. Personly I think a person needs to work their way up. If you belong there it won't take long to get there.

Bill

12. smsnyder

hapMecTweaks, I hate 16 yard shooting. Handicap is my game.

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yes you can request to have your yardage increased. That rule was put in to allow you to shoot with your friends. Your friends are all long yardage shooters then you request to be put on the 25 so you can shoot with them.

I guess it's an okay rule. Doesn't bother me one way or another. The only real down side to requesting to be put on the 23 or 24 yard line would be if you decided to go to the Kentucky state shoot. Then you would be shooting alone, because everybody there will be shooting from the 20 except for the Kentuckians who have made the All American squad. LOL

14. smsnyder

bill, a lot has to do with body movement, pattern size, timming, seeing the target better, Vision, ability to handle targets in windy conditions etc.. Don't ever believe that an increase in yardage can't help some shooters. IT CAN

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

smsnyder
    I believe you will feel better about earning your yardage but I agree with Sarge.

I am not sure the rationale the ATA used to allow this to happen but it sounds a little strange to me - but then I have only been shooting about 18 months so I am still learning the nuances of the game.

With your well thought out analysis we should expect a slew of short yarders moving to the mid-yard classes. Then you will face the same bastards who have been eating your lunch at 20 yards. And it will take you two years to get back down to 20 yards to rid yourself of the little pests - life is so unfair.

Don

16. zinger

zinger Member

I have to agree 1000% with Hap...Earl, learn the basics, master the singles and you'll be back at the 22yd line in no time.

17. smsnyder

the literalist, by the way my highest handicap average was 87.21 back in 1994 and that was at the 22 yard line not at 20 yards.

18. smsnyder

hi zinger, i was thinking about you guys today. nice shoot at WV. I had a great day. See you at the westy hogan shoot. i am bring my wife. let's have dinner.

19. zinger

zinger Member

we'll be there Thursday afternoon barring any unforseen problems..lol

20. smsnyder

Dverna honestly, i feel i am better shooter at the longer yardage plus i am sick of shooting with 19/20/21 yarders. most people have road blocks at longer yardages, i believe different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.