1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Yardage Markers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by travisalfrey, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

I am building myself a personal skeet and trap range and have the concrete pads in for both. Wondering what to do about the "yardage labels" for each trap spot. I thought about a stencil and some spray paint. Thoughts?

Travis in NC

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

That will last, about a day.

Have you already poured the concrete? You could inlay some metal yardage markers in the concrete or you could stamp in the numbers.

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Find a woman with really nice penmanship and set her loose with an implement on the wet but stiff concrete....

or

Maybe buy metal house address numbers from Lowe's or the Depot and use them to press in the number imprints.

Remember all you need is every other yard marked...

Belay my last, a re-read renders the pads pored.

Sorry

Flat metal markers drilled and concrete anchored down would work better than paint I would think. However, it is a private range--good paint would last quite a while.

I'm jealous.

Guy B.

4. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I'm jealous too, would like to see pics when you are done. Good luck.

5. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I have done the same thing. My first try was with the stencils and spray enamel paint. The numbers came off within a few days. My nest try was with stencils and exterior latex paint that I brushed on over the stencil.. It has lasted all summer and still looks great. I water and mow over the top of the pads and the numbering stays perfect.

JMAC

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

You will only need to mark the 20 and 25, most trapshooters can find their way from there.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Drimmel and burnishing head. Grind them into the finish.

8. schneep

schneep Member

I would suggest a young "nymph" to walk around with a sign like at a boxing match :)

9. tarheel

tarheel Member

I think this is most Cool,something most Trapshooters always want to do,Have a Private Club!

Lets see,Just had second Lower Back Surgury,maybe I might be up to an invite to shoot in about 4 more Months!

Good Luck you Lucky Devil!!

Tarheel

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Empty a six pack (your choice of techniques) use a felt tip to write "18", "20", "22", "24", an "26" on the bottom of 5 cans leaving one spare can. Push a stick into the ground next to the runway at each of the appropriate yardages and stuff a can onto the stick.

Keller

11. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

thanks for the responses- and I am glad you all are jealous. I am so looking forward to being able to shoot whenever I want to. The concrete is already poured so I will have to go with the paint way. I want to have most of the yardages shown since the range will be used by 4H and boy scout youths a lot.

And Tarheel you are more than welcome when you are back shooting. I look forward to having many friends out to shoot.

Travis in NC

12. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

thanks for the responses- and I am glad you all are jealous. I am so looking forward to being able to shoot whenever I want to. The concrete is already poured so I will have to go with the paint way. I want to have most of the yardages shown since the range will be used by 4H and boy scout youths a lot.

And Tarheel you are more than welcome when you are back shooting. I look forward to having many friends out to shoot.

Travis in NC

13. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

Travis in NC

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Not even shooting yet and already has a flinch...

15. jptrapshooter

jptrapshooter Member

Look into acid concrete stain. It comes in earth tones. You'll need at least a couple of sets of stencils, don't use it with metal stencils. Lay the stencil as flat as possible (taped down perhaps). Put the acid in a plastic sprayer (no metal parts again).

Make on overspray shield and lightly spray the crete until the open parts of the stencil are evenly covered. Pull up the stencils and let the acid go to work for awhile. Neutralize the acid with a brush/broom dipped in a solution of baking soda and water. Seal the concrete and enjoy your numbers for the life of the field. The numbers will darken more after sealing.

This works best on new(ish) concrete. If it is already sealed, you will need to use a different method.

16. travisalfrey

travisalfrey Member

My wife says that I repeat myself a lot so she must be correct.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I much prefer the beer can method. I would use something that deteriorates rapidly so I could redo them.

Another one: treated wood plates with brass house numbers and a huge nail or 2, stick in ground along side of proper spot. You can recess them enough to avoid contact with machinery.

That said, we use epoxy paint and stencils. we also paint a 3 inch strip across the walk.

Hint: Use green, it deteriorates the least in the sun.

HM

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Joe P, thats just too funny right there now! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gun range yardage markers
outdoor shooting range yardage markers
pistol shooting range yardage markers
range yardage signs

shooting range markers