1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

yard line and fps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TDK, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDK

TDK Member

Just wanting some input on fps and yardage. We play alot of games at my club and wondering if it helps to have a different load for past the 27. I shoot 1 1/8 1200 fps. Thanks Trae

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Trae... Once you get well beyond the 27yd line in meat shoots, unless you develope a good load for shooting longer yardages, you will find that the same shooters seem to always win more than their share over and over. Is it because they are better shots than you are? Not neccessarily. They are more than likely shooting loads containg 11/8 to 13/8oz of #6 or larger shot, pushing speeds from 1250fps to 1500fps (If they are shooting Longshot powder). Most of us like to keep our meat shoot loads to ourselves, but, I will share this with you: Look in the powder mfgrs. guide books for loads using Unique, 800X, Herco, SR4756, SR7625, throwing 11/4oz of shot doing around 1300fps. This is a great starting place. Remember that the lower you can keep your pressures with these combinations, the better your load will pattern. High speed and low pressures USUALLY equals tighter patterns at longer yardages. Find a load that works well for you, through your gun, at the longer yardages, and stick with it. Learn what it will, or won't do. After that, it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice. Hope this helps you. Have fun, and enjoy the thrill of breaking a target at well beyond 60-70 yards. Nothing quite like it.. Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

TDK,

I only use ATA legal shells for call bird targets until I reach the 30 yrd line. After that,and for back-ups, 1 3/16's of 6's running 1300fps. It's a lot easier to win if you can keep your head down.

ss

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i shot with a guy last week who had a flat shooting mdl 12 w/full(very) choke. he said 1450 fps makes up for the loss of poi??? he also had the gun weighted down to slow his move to the target, helping with muzzle control!!!!

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ah...Now it starts... acss, the target sport is named "GAMES" because your competitors get into your head. Get yourself a flat of Fed 3 dram 7.5 papers and "let-em-fly" Taht will get into their heads. at least half the guys will come up and ask you to save them so they can reload. And it will work on their head every time they see one out of the corner of their ey go flyin. And don't pick them up. When you see guys pickin up your hulls they are "easy-pickins"

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you know-- i am just not a big enuf thinker!!! here is the question of the day--- in those "games"- what's the longest shot you ever missed???

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

acss, at a yearly popular meat shoot, we routinely shot from 90 paces behind the trap under an ole cottonwood. So to answer your question, we routinely missed at about 120 to 125 yards.

PS. I wouldn't bring Federal Papers to this game!

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Go buy you a box of Nitro27 sporting clay loads. 7 1/2 at 1300+ fps. Figure out the hold points on the targets and kick butt.

The reason they are kicking yours is that they have shot that shot 100's of times and you only once or twice. It's like is the lead a VW, a Chev. or a bus.

Have fun and shoot often.

Don

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

MIA.... If you REALLY want to mess with their heads, after shooting the Federal paper and ejecting it on the ground, take your foot and step on the hull, squashing it flat!. Then listen to them squeal like pigs...lol..... Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.