1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ya Can not make this sh*t up!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 391 shooter, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Attorneys for The Rutherford Institute have filed a civil rights lawsuit against a Chicago public school district on behalf of a second-grade teacher who was suspended after he displayed garden-variety tools such as wrenches, pliers and screwdrivers in his classroom as part of a "tool discussion" in his class.

Despite the fact that all potentially hazardous items were kept out of the students' reach, school officials at Washington Irving Elementary School informed Doug Bartlett, a 17-year veteran in the classroom, that his use of the tools as visual aids endangered his students. Bartlett was subsequently penalized with a four-day suspension without pay - charged with possessing, carrying, storing or using a weapon.

The complaint charges that Bartlett "suffered humiliation, embarrassment, mental suffering, and lost wages, and was suspended for four days" - and asks for "nominal and compensatory damages" and for the suspension to be expunged from the teacher's record.

"This school district's gross overreaction to a simple teaching demonstration on basic tools such as wrenches and pliers underscores exactly what is wrong with our nation's schools," said Rutherford Institute Pres. John Whitehead.

"What makes this case stand out from the rest is that this latest victim of zero tolerance policies run amok happens to be a veteran school teacher," Whitehead said.

None of the tools were made accessible to the students. When not in use, the tools were secured in a toolbox on a high shelf out of reach of the students. They were used to demonstrate the proper use of tools.

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"Tools" That means WORK and we can't have that taught in government schools!!! IF you DO then the left will loose future voters!!!

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I hope he asks for - and receives - a million dollar settlement!

And I also hope that the taxpayers of that school district demand that the school board members that perpetrated that fiasco pay for it out of their own pockets and then resign in disgrace.

Kiv

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Chicago?

All he needed was a sample EBT card and a demonstration reader, plus an explanation of how a PIN number works.

HM

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

timber, thats pretty funny and true all in the same sentence.

6. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does this mean that Wood Shop-Metal Shop & Auto mechanics are going to be dropped from schools because of the use of dangerous tools ?....KS-OKIE.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I remember getting 'very concerned' lecture from my Mother in Law about the dangers of me showing my then 2 year old daughter a few of my guns and the ammo that goes with them. I reasoning was that I wanted her to know what the guns were and same for that ammo such that she wouldn't try to find out on her own. I also showed my mother in law the safe where I keep the guns and how I store them empty and how the rountine proceedure in putting a gun in the safe or taking it out is to check the chamber and verify it is empty.

That actually sunk in with the mother in law and the daughter is now 14 and never have we had an incident with her or her friends getting into my guns or ammo. The training continued with my daughter and by age 10 she was handling her own .22 rifle with excellent safe gun handling skills.

So the guns are just tools and young people should have some education on tools they are likely to encounter. The best protection for these kids is knowledge, the worst thing we can do is leave them ignorant.

8. timberfaller

"The best protection for these kids is knowledge, the worst thing we can do is leave them ignorant."

Amen to that!!!

They have to be taught about "fudge packers" and 2 mommy's but Guns are EVIL!!!

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The "intellectual" and political left reveal who the real extremists are every time they pull this stuff.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good God, when I was in a school we cast aluminum in sand molds after melting the metal in a scorching hot blast furnace mind you and made ash trays. Yes, ash trays. Then we cast the base and covers for a bench grinder. Then they turned us loose on WWII surplus lathes, mills and surface grinders to make the rest of the parts. Guess my shop teacher would have gotten the death penalty if we were part of that school district. I'm telling you, this Country has went to hell.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Matt, Most of these city kids would pass out at a butcher shop too.

12. wolfram

Grntitan -Your shop stories remind me of my HS metal shop. I turned a minature cannon bbl out of a 1" dia piece of stainless steel stock and drilled a 0.510" hole in it. We mounted it up on a little wood fixture that had notch postions for elevation settings and away we went playing with the mini cannon piece. 70 grains of black and 1/2" steel bearings were a pretty good combo. Ignition was via a homemade string fuse.

I got an A on the project and also in the class. Still remember the instructor's name - Dale Schultz - great guy that really made the class fun and informative. I still use some of the skills learned form him. This was in 1977. Now days these kids can't even say the word gun in school.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Going to be(and already is] lot's of old dudes working on younger peoples homes. Trouble is they have crappy jobs and heavy student loan debt-no money!

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

This whole PC crap is out if control. Nothing against the white collar crowd but kids today need to learn that there is a whole other half of the World that is blue collar. We fix the crap they break, we haul the stuff they need. We make the products they use. When I was in high school over half my classes were vocational. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. They have all but taken that away at my local school district. All the old lathes and mills are gone. They don't teach kids how to use tools anymore. And now it appears feom the story above, they are telling them tools are bad.

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll let him return to class if he promises to present "The Bernhard Goetz Story or Screwdrivers on the Subway". ;-)

Bob Falfa

16. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

There are no shop classes anymore because they take away from standardized testing! I have purchased many nice old wood working tools from schools that had to close there shops.

17. timberfaller

Lets not talk about the 440 three phrase welders and gas welders we had so much fun on!!!

Lost a lot of hair and shop coveralls!!!!

Made some money and ribbons at the county fairs all at the same time!!!

18. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

In the 2nd and 3rd grade we had a rolling tool chest and were given balsa wood to saw, drill, nail you name it. This is really stupid.

19. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It is beyond stupid but all the kids are taught that and manual labor is below them

Guess that is why they won't close the borders

I too had a great shop teacher Marvin Anderson, besides my Dad he taught me more than any one man ever did, but I did have some other ones that taught me good stuff too

Guess the other teachers were wrong, I was good enough working with my hands I made enough money to retire at 52 when my body said enough is enough

But if there is a good enough HVAC project that comes around I come out of retirement

I have had a bad case of the ugly (beautiful)gun of the month club rearing its head, a small side job or two pays enough to feed it

And the best part is the prices the contractors are charging amounts too gouging so I make real good money and save the customer money

20. wolfram

I'm thinking the skilled labor pool of the next generation will be very limited and so the guys that do have some actual 'blue collar' skills will be the ones making a good living. Use to be just the opposite but a 4 year college degree is about worthless these days. Could be the ultimate consequence of the 'Metrosexualization' of America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.