1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT Unsingle arrived today!! WOW.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frye, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frye

Frye TS Member

It's HERE!! and a couple of days early. Pleasant surprise to me. Thank you Guns Unlimited! Good folks to deal with. They don't dicker on price, but I have yet to be disappointed with their service and firearms you get from them are the real deal. I can't wait to shoot this thing. It fits me right out of the box and it looks pretty darn neat as well. NICE case that Browning puts these in and it sure doesn't look like grade 1 wood to me. Nicely figured with alot of tone and depth. It looks like a 99% average just sittin' there!! LOL. I won't get to shoot it until Saturday... Grrrr!! One noticable thing is the O/E barrels have a much taller rib than the standard XT. I'm anxious to try this thing out..

Shoot well guys!

Frye.

2. ink ball

ink ball Member

Good news! Having to wait until Saturday to shoot it will be the tough part....I think you're gonna love the gun! Congratulations!

3. Frye

Frye TS Member

Thanks Ink Ball!

There it sits... on the floor in it's case.. CALLING ME. "Frye, Let's go shoot!"

It's driving me crazy.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing when I got mine. :^)))))))))

You are in for a lot of fun. This a lot of gun for the money.

Set the Unsingle using the Winston Method. Once again, this gun is underpriced for what you get.

Use good grease on the receiver/forend joint. I use CMD, but lube it BEFORE you shoot it.

Browning's "lube" is a better preservative than lube.

Angle Port's Bore Matched Extended Choke Tubes will help you get more smoke. These guns have .740" bores. I have Five pointers for Skeet with the O/U, and Forty pointers for everything else. The Forty pointers will make you smile on the ATA line. The 16 yard targets and the first Dubs bird get MICROWAVED. The Caps and second Dubs bird disappear in a smoke cloud.

The Unsingle barrel may be weighted with a reducer in the top barrel stub. I have two in mine, and a weight in the stock. I call it the "Truck Axle". It is superbly well suited for ATA chores, and the 32" O/U barrel set feels like a 30" Skeet tube gun on that "other" field.

BEWARE THE MAN WITH ONE GUN!!!!

Happy Holidays.

5. Frye

Frye TS Member

Hey Shooting coach,
    What's the Winston Method? I've never heard of it. The little Browning manual that comes with it isn't all that informative on POI adjustment. I enjoy reading your posts.. I have found your advice very helpful..

Sportshot?? I hope to shoot against you some day... for obvious reasons.

6. Shooting Coach

If you have an adj comb, first set your O/U barrels to your desired POI. I prefer at least 70/30 on even a Skeet gun. If you are only going to use the O/U barrel for ATA dubs, I still like a high shooting gun. YMMV

Personally, I have no problem with Browning's adjustable comb. After you set it the way you like it, just remember to check it from time to time. For some reason, the Metric shotgun takes an American wrench for the comb and rib. ?? I set an adjustable rib so the recoil does not force the stock into my cheek.

If you have a fixed comb, skip this step.

Figure out your O/U barrel mid and front bead relationship, and put this in your hard drive. Memorize the gap between your mid and front bead.

Then, get a bench rest, like one used for rifles, and set up a target 13 or so yards from the bench. Resting the forend on a sandbag or something soft, remember how your bead stack looks when standing, and make sure to get the same stack on the bench. Install your tightest chokes.

Aiming the top of the front bead at the bottom of a one inch or so circle drawn on a piece of paper, or target box bottom, carefully squeeze the trigger as though you were harvesting a deer at 100 yards. This will give you your Point-of-Impact.

I always shoot the bottom barrel first. Repeat for your second barrel at a different dot a foot or so away from the first one.

After verifying clear, go look at your target. This will let you know where your O/U barrels shoot. If happy,,,,

Install the Unsingle barrel. Chances are, it will be a little flatter than you might want.

Loosen the screws in the middle of the rib. The barrel takes the same 7/64" wrench as their comb. Browning included the wrong sized wrench. Loosen the relatively tight screws, and adjust the rear of the rib to give the sight picture you have with the O/U barrels.

Then, use the same technique to establish your POI with the Unsingle. There are notches on the right side of the barrel under the front bead. My gun shoots about 90/10 with the setting in the picture. When you are happy with POI, lock down the mid rib screws. I did not set mine as tight as they were from the factory.

If, while shooting the Unsingle barrel, you are knocking the top or bottom off the target, you can set it on the field between rounds. Remember, adjust the front bead the OPPOSITE way you want the gun to shoot. Lower the rib to raise the POI. This setup is VERY adjustable. :^)

I do not make a project out of shooting on paper. My fixed comb O/U barrel verification took one shot out of each barrel, and the Unsingle took 5 shots to set it the way I like it.

These are superior tournament guns. The 40 point Angle Port choke in the Unsingle is a Martian Death Ray!

Enjoy your gun, and the Holidays too.

I wanted to set up a Dillon 650 for 30/06, which took longer than I remembered, and of course had to load some ammo, and here it is almost dawn!

7. Frye

Frye TS Member

Thanks Shooting Coach. Looking at my unsingle, I'm going to estimate it around 70/30. I don't have the adjustable comb, I don't really care for them. MC stocks fit me just fine. I like the sight picture I see on it now without adjusting. I may space it just a little. I'll punch some paper with it first and see where it shoots. Then go from there with the method you described.

8. Shooting Coach

An Unsingle combo I shot and the one I bought with the fixed stock fit me so well I was very pleased. The O/U barrels are precisely where I like them, and the Unsingle was regulated to my preference in 5 shots.

What a gun!

9. robertb291

robertb291 Member

Frye
    Pattern your gun from a rest carefully BEFORE you shoot it .The Unsingle Guns Unlimited shipped me patterned 4-6" left at fifteen yds.The gun had to be sent to Browning to be tested and later approved for replacement.The process took three weeks...not bad considering.
    Bob

10. Frye

Frye TS Member

Robertb, thanks for the warning, I intend to do just that tomorrow. A fellow shooter on my league had the same problem with a top single combo from GU. His was the bottom barrel in the O/E set. We'll see how it does tomorrow.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a brand new XT Golden Clays unsingle Combo 34/32 unfired in the case...all thats been done is unpacked and degreased...gorgeous Monte carlo wood,..will sell for original cost before last price hike from GU of 4895 shipping included

12. ink ball

ink ball Member

Frye - - Saturday hath cometh....How did it work for you?

13. Frye

Frye TS Member

Hey Inkball,
    I gotta tell ya... this gun is AMAZING. I couldn't be happier with this set up. Due to the amount of people at the range I went to I wasn't able to sneek down to the rifle range to pattern it. I greased 'er up and hit the line with the factory settings and tuned it in from there. I think I have it pretty close to POI that I'm looking for, Right around 80/20. I shot 300 rounds thru it. Mostly Estates as I only had 100 of my reloads left. I saved those for shooting at the 27 yard line. I can float the target just above my bead and it just VANISHES... it don't break, it's GONE...HOWEVER... with the Estates I had 3 delayed fires and 2 no fire out of a flat. I noticed that I'm fliching SO bad that I pull the gun hard left into my cheek and way off target. This is something that I haven't noticed before. It was darn cold up at the club and weather was rainy and very windy but thats typical. I am concerned about the flinching. I don't like the idea of release triggers so I'll be looking for alternatives to work thru that. As far as the XT goes.. It has exceeded my expectations..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.