1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

xt under barrel miss fires

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ric m, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric m

ric m TS Member

Hello all, HELP!
    Is anyone else having this problem?
    9 months ago I purchased a Citori Golden Clays Unsingle Combo, Beautiful gun, everything worked perfectly but slowly over a short time the under barrel started to miss fire, first 1 out of 100 shots then, 5 out of 100 and now 9 out of 25. This happens in both the unsingle and o/u.
    At first when I inspected the missfires, they were only slghtly dented I thought it might be deep set primers, but the over barrel will fire all of these shells.
    Thanks, Rick Morgan

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

What type of shells? if new and gun clubs that might be your reason

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

There are fixes to make the gun shoot stubborn shells.

Tell us what kind of ammo/primers you are using.

4. ric m

ric m TS Member

I am using new Federal Top Gun shells (5 missfires)and reloads (4)
    The reloads consist of Cheddite 209 primers and old style AA hulls.
    I have used these loads in my BT99, auto 5 and Citori field guns for years without any problems.
    I was told at a meat shoot yesterday that there is a longer firing pin available for this gun. How do I tell if this is the culprit that's causing me grief? The gun has approx.3500 rounds through it, the springs are strong and the pins are in perfect condition. ????????????

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Rick.... I think this particular Browning problem has had more action on T/S.com than any other when it comes to a specific gun flaw. You would think that Browning would do some sort of recall, or, at the very least, offer a fix for the gun, much the same way Remington did with their 3200's and their 90-T. This seems to be a very common, re-occuring problem with quite a few of the Brownings O/U....... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. FLIP

FLIP Member

hope this helps

7. FLIP

FLIP Member

losss

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I only have a guess on this problem but Sportshot brings up a real point. I would think that if the gun's firing pin is somehow deficient, it should never fire. I also believe the Browning people are more than familiar with the SAAMI specs and build a gun that will shoot ammo that is manufactured to those specs.

However, the gun in question (first poster ric m) is getting progressively worse. 9 out of 25 is horrible - clearly something is wrong with this gun. I would guess this gun is not cocking all the way. Since the failure occurs frequently, I would pull off the buttstock and observe the workings. Not comfortable with that, there are real gunsmiths who will diagnose and correct the problem but since it is a relatively new gun, I would also contact Browning and at least talk to them about a possible remedy.

Back to my first paragraph and my opinion on lots of stuff posted here about Brownings and extending the firing pins. I wouldn't do it. Brownings are good guns and are built to meet the ammo specs. Yes, I have a Browning Citori Special Trap made in '98. Yes, when shooting promo shells thru the bottom barrel, they will occasionally fail to fire (2 out of the last flat of one ounce gun clubs). My solution is to shoot good shells - either purchased or reloaded. I use only STS primers in STS shells and Win primers in Winchester shells for my reloads and they have never failed me. Factory STS have never failed me either.

PS - I also clean my guns, I do not push crud back into the firing pin hole, and I take the gun apart each winter to completely clean everything. If I have to shoot in the rain, I will take it apart that night. This gun was my only trap gun and now it is my doubles gun. Between practice and registered, I shoot thousands of shells per year with this gun and I replaced the hammer springs twice and I don't think it was necessary. I will probably replace them again this winter but probably not necessary.

9. bill2

bill2 Member

RIC M, I had the lower barrel problem on my XT. I took it to my nearest (25 Mile) Browning dealer who took it from there to put the gun in a special Browning box and ship it to Browning for the fix. Three weeks later it was back fixed and will now shoot any reload or new shell. It was not the dealer I purchased the Browning from and I did purchase it used from another dealer and I explained that. Cost was shipping and insurance about $25.00. I have gained great respect for the Browning Company.

Good Luck with your gun!
    Bill Clymer

10. Shooting Coach

This is indeed an aggravating problem. Telling a shooter how to diagnose and repair a firearm he is not familiar with is an exercise in frustration.

If you know how to remove stock, mainsprings and firing pins, let us know. If not, contact Browning and see what they want to do.

Years ago, I performed warranty service and repair for the Browning. The company is first rate on customer support.

However, a person familiar with the Browning can diagnose, and repair it quickly.

The newer firing pin, #B1334157, has been a factory installed part for the last several years.

I would not be surprised if Browning uses the Wolff Extra Power mainspring on problem guns. I routinely use it for the lower barrel when I perform annuals.

11. FLIP

FLIP Member

shooting coach,where do I get wolfs springs. Thanks Flip

12. Shooting Coach

Go to this site, and look under Browning.

Wolff part no. 30217

Use one for the right (lower) hammer and save the other one for the next annual.

13. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Rick,,I am on my second XT Combo,,,(30,000 rounds)with the same problem,,the first broke the "hammer and mounting pin",,,Browning sent me a new gun,,,the second (2500 rounds), is now doing it too,,,I spoke with Browning, and they are sending me a new firing pin. They said if that did not fix the problem, to let them know, and they would send me a "shipping label" for free shipping to return it to them, and they would fix and or replace the gun. I have a friend that replaced the firing pin, and has had no more problems.
    Norman

14. FLIP

FLIP Member

talked to browning ,they said the firing pin has been changed about a year ago.still uses same old part #B1334157 (thats the lower pin)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.