1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT trouble

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Take the stock off again and check for crud under the trigger. Keep the trigger rearward while spraying your Gun Scrubber under it. Let it dry, or blow it out with an air hose, relube it and see if that fixes it.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

this is why I shoot a Superposed with mechanical triggers...

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think your cleaning solved the problem

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Tiny tiny tiny crud in the wrong place big problems. I have found once you think you got it clean, clean it again.

5. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Might also look at your inertia block to see if there could be a slight burr on it. Have seen this twice recently.
    Dan

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Tom,

You didn't say how old the gun is or what previous cleanings (if any) the lockworks have had.

My suggestion: Remove the stock and soak the receiver in kerosene or mineral spirits (paint thinner) for 10 to 15 minutes. Blow dry or drip dry as you wish. Then lubricate lightly with Rem Oil or Breakfree CLP. Reassemble the gun and it should be ready to go.

Easystreet

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Over the years, I have used Brake Cleaner and compressed air. I always use a quality lube. I have been using Ballistol for the last several years with fantastic results. This stuff is overkill for sporting firearms under most conditions.

The axiom about cleaning it once, then cleaning it again is a method I use on heavily fouled tournament arms.

There are times it takes four tries to get ALL the goop out of a receiver.

8. oakley

oakley TS Member

I am on my second XT this summer with both guns having the same problem as you. I bought one early this summer and Browning took it back, they could not fix at gun shop. Browning gave me a new gun. My new gun has the same problem, this one was sent into Browning and now it is fixed, I hope. I will be getting my "fixed" gun back tomorrow with what was wrong with it. Just cleaning it will not help. I had Browning clean it at the Grand and it did it even after the cleaning. I would contact Browning or your dealer.

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Don't blame you for getting the gun to the gunsmith. Just something to consider for the future and I hope you don't need it. Buy a rubber mallet. with the stock removed, pull the trigger. Hit the back of the receiver with the rubber mallet and observe how the innards of the gun behave. See if hitting hard produces a clean selection of the other barrel. Use light blows to see the difference between the top first or bottom first selection. You can learn a lot about how the gun works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.