1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famous12345, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famous12345

famous12345 TS Member

I just got back from shooting my new XT Trap. I love it but I feel more comfirtable and shoot better with my 525 sporting. I got a 30" barrel on the XT and have a 32 on my 525. Do you guys think its becuase I'm now use to a 32" barrel? This is my first trap gun. Any thoughts? Also this XT has an adjustable comb that I adjusted to where I think it should be and my 525 does not.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Two things. One being a different weight between the two barrels. Second, possibly the XT has a differnt POI.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

There is a definte difference in POI between the two guns. Even though the XT has shorter barrels, I would venture to say that it is a little heavier.

ec90t

4. famous12345

famous12345 TS Member

I just got back from shooting my new XT Trap. I love it but I feel more comfirtable and shoot better with my 525 sporting. I got a 30" barrel on the XT and have a 32 on my 525. Do you guys think its becuase I'm now use to a 32" barrel? This is my first trap gun. Any thoughts? Also this XT has an adjustable comb that I adjusted to where I think it should be and my 525 does not.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Two things. One being a different weight between the two barrels. Second, possibly the XT has a differnt POI.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

There is a definte difference in POI between the two guns. Even though the XT has shorter barrels, I would venture to say that it is a little heavier.

ec90t

7. famous12345

famous12345 TS Member

Yes I agree there is a different POI. What is the normal POI for the XT compared to the 525?

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have never patterend either one on paper, but for me I had to cover the targets with a 525 and just kissed (touch the bottom) the target with the XT(shooting the bottom barrel). I had to start getting into the target shooting the top barrel.

ec90t

9. famous12345

famous12345 TS Member

That is exactly how mine shoots. Had to get used to it. by the forth round I was breaking 22. I am still wondering if I should have got 32" barrels.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Famous,

Ballistically there is little to no difference between the two barrel lengths.

I prefer the shorter barrels because they swing a little quicker for doubles. If you let it bother you about the barrel length, you'll never be satisfied with the gun. Give it a chance, you'll enjoy the gun.

ec90t

11. famous12345

famous12345 TS Member

ec90t,

I am trying not to let it mess with me. Once I hit my first 25 I will be ok. I also want to put a Graco system on the gun. I was going to send it out to Graco. Is there someone in St. louis that is good?

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Famous,

If it were me spending the money, I would send the stock to Ken Rucker (Speed Bump Stock Works) and have one of his Bump-Busters installed. A buddy of mine had Ken put one on his XT last year at the Grand. It is by and far the best recoil system for the money. He makes two different ones: one like a Graco, and one that links the comb like a soft touch or G squared. Either one will more than suite your needs.

ec90t

13. famous12345

famous12345 TS Member

Thanks for the info.

14. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I could not find a price list on his wed-site.

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

B' Man,

He has a few options available. Just drop Ken a line, or email for a quote. He's a straight up guy and won't steer you wrong.

ec90t

16. shrek

shrek Active Member

There is a lot of difference between the feel and handling of a 525 and an XT.

The 525 being a much easier swinging gun than the XT.

I have one of each too, and I get along much better with the 525 than I do the XT for doubles.

17. famous12345

famous12345 TS Member

Thanks Guys. Back to range on Wednesday. I love this sport and am finding more and more time.

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

just need time to get used to it, also need to patern test it make sure its shooting where your looking. I just installed a PFS on my xt. took several hours to get it set up where I liked it and shooting a bit higher that my old stock. BUT now I find myself shooting as if I had the old stock on which was flatter. It has gotten better. Retraining my brain/sight picture. If you have adjustable comb set it close to your 525 drop at comb. my XT was set at 1 1/8 drop withold stock. I wanted a more up right mount now drop at heal is more and drop at com is just under 1 inch. give yourself 1000 rounds to get used to it.

19. famous12345

famous12345 TS Member

Just got back from my patern test. Looks to have POI the same with both barrels at 40. This is exactly where browning said it should be. I will practice more on Wednesday.

20. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have the same 2 guns I bought the 525 first then went out and got a XT Trap Combo. I can go one better I didn't know that you were supposed to shoot the O/U for singles and doubles and the top single for handicaps. When I went to the O/U at the Dixie Grand I couldn't hit a thing. I had to practice with the O/U barrels quite a bit before I could break better than 22's. Mine are 32 on the O/U and 34 on the top single. I think the 525 shoots alot flatter. I would do the POI thing except I'm really not experenced enough to do it. I'll wait and go down to Cicero and ask somone to help me with that this year.

Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.