1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT Trap Stock Defective

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by myevh3, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

OK, I am one of the biggest Browning advocates but have to say am very disappointed. I just bought a hardly used Citori XT Trap about three weeks ago. The gun is basically mint only a few extremely small handling marks on it. I have been shooting if for the past three weeks 350 rounds. Gun has been flawless. So today during my first round of trap I look down and there is a chunck of wood missing from the stock where it connect to the receiver. See picture. I'm a freak when it comes to keeping my guns nice. I can't even bare to look at this, it stairs me in the face very time I go to reload. Do you think this is something Browning would fix (send me a new stock)? I know I'm the second owner but this should not happen while firing a gun. Also, the browing price list to replace the stock is almost $1000. That more than half what I paid for the gun. I'm going to call them on Monday to see if anything can be done. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks....
    [​IMG]

2. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

What a shame.

A good woodworker could make it look O.K.

Regards, Pete

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

On a used gun, I would not think they would be inclined to do anything. An over tight or slightly loose stock bolt is a pretty common cause of what you are showing. I wish you luck, but doubt they will eat this stock. Sorry about your luck

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Small consolation, I am sure, but I know of others who have spent more and had worse outcomes. I agree with Pete, though, a good woodworker could do a nice repair.

bluedsteel

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

You can buy a new Citori stock from Midwest Gunworks for around $230. See

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MGWI&Category_Code=C-15-2

I don't know where you got the $1,000 price; the MWG webpage says the list price for the stock is $307.

I bought one for my Citori from MGW about six months ago, and the stock fit perfectly and looks very good.

Ted K.

6. XTTrapCombo

XTTrapCombo TS Member

A friend of mine, bought a used XT Combo and the stock split. He sent it to Browning, and they replaced it for free. Took about 6 months though.

7. high 2

high 2 Member

Do you have the piece that chipped out? It can be fixed with little trouble. I had so much trouble with Browning in the past, I sold everyone I had except for my 22 pistols. Good luck dealing with them in Missouri. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Try Midwest - they are Browning experts. The bad spot you have can be fixed with brown bedding compound from Brownells. Then you'd have to respray the entire stock and it would always 'be there' so to speak. Alternatively it can be fixed with an actual piece of walnut (cut some of the offending area away so it's square, glue a new piece on, then re-radius the new piece to match up with the contours) - and then respray. A replacement stock might be quicker, then repair this one and sell it? Or - borrow a replacement until this one fixed? A repair with wood would hardly be noticeable. As with any shotgun stock, it should be bedded to the new gun it is being fitted-to. This will go a long way to prevent such wood issues.

9. bill2

bill2 Member

MYEVH3 You have a PM. Hope it helps. Bill2

10. The Boy

The Boy TS Member

Looks like it's crackig on the right as well. All new Brownings should go to a Gun Smith for prper fitting before shooting. I am aware of several that have done the same thing at my club.
    Jim

11. mike b.

mike b. Member

Had a bt-99 which did the same thing. Took many years of pot shooting though.

12. crk

crk Member

2008 Browning Price list online does list this stock at $920 with the adjustable comb. Midwest may be a good option if they are that much lower. Did not see one there with adjustable comb to compare the price directly though.

13. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

The discoloration along the edge of the break make it appear that it had a fault in it for some time previous to the actual loss of the piece. I've seen and repaired a lot of similar disasters. As stated earlier, probably the result of either improper fitting or over tightening of the stock bolt.

Ed Yanchok

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

No crack on the right; just a couple sratches in the finish...

<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

15. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

If my eyes dont deceive me it appears that stain penetrated the grain right where it split,indicating the crack is a defect in the original blank! I have seen this in my woodworking projects, Browning should at least consider this!

16. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

Good luck with Browning They have the worst customer service of any one that I have ever dealt with I am sure you are p------ in the wind for them to do anything about the stock. It takes two months to do anything to a gun that is sent to them and sometimes longer

Duckeye

17. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Good observation Melbournemike!

Regards, Pete

18. bill2

bill2 Member

myevh3, Did you check your Private Messages(P.M.s) Bill2

19. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

No question that SOMETHING penetrated under the chip before it came off... <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The urethane leaking into the crack says Browning should replace the stock.

If you send them the pictures with an explanation, and follow up with a phone call or seven, maybe you will do all right.

I would fix the old one if you have the piece.

Acraglas works wonders.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.