1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT trap gun bent rib..easy or hard to repair??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Just got my new to me XT Trap gun...after waiting over a week(3 days for it to clear he background check at the receiving dealer). Get it home unwrap it and put it together and !!!!, the rib has been damaged in shipping or something. I didn't notice it till I put the gun together and sighted it...

I'm really bummed about this...it was a realy nice gun.

Has anyone had a rib straightened...is it hard?? Is it expensive...?? I'm assuming that it can be fixed at some kind of price...but don't even know that for sure. Has anyone ever had a rib straightened on a Browninng XT before...it's not bent real bad ...but bent down toward the barrel a little between post #4 and post #5 counting from from front to back.

I thought I'd see what was involved in fixing something like this while I was waiting on the seller to return my call/e-mail.

Thanks..Stan

2. StansCustoms

Just got my new to me XT Trap gun...after waiting over a week(3 days for it to clear he background check at the receiving dealer). Get it home unwrap it and put it together and !!!!, the rib has been damaged in shipping or something. I didn't notice it till I put the gun together and sighted it...

Has anyone had a rib straightened...is it hard?? Is it expensive...?? I'm assuming that it can be fixed at some kind of price...but don't even know that for sure. Has anyone ever had a rib straightened on a Browninng XT before...it's not bent real bad ...but bent down toward the barrel a little between post #4 and post #5 counting from from front to back.

I thought I'd see what was involved in fixing something like this while I was waiting on the seller to return my call/e-mail.

Thanks..Stan

3. StansCustoms

Thanks..Stan

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

We're you not allowed to check the gun over while you were waiting for the background check to come in? Even if you aren't allowed to take possession, you should at least be able to check it out at the dealer's location the day it arrives. Unfortunately I'm guessing too much time has passed to file a shipping insurance claim.

5. StansCustoms

Yes briefly...kinda hard to do in a place where customers are comming and going, on a glass counter. Just over looked it. I was looking for normal stuff, faded bluing...scars or scratches on the wood.. seeing if all the pieces, extra triggers, chokes and choke tool were there. etc.

It's not very noticeable till you turn the barrells sideways..and sight down it...I did that accidentally really. You could have knocked me over with a feather...I don't know how I missed really. Just didn't see it. I guess I was grinning and admiring the gun ..rather than looking at it closely enough for damage.

How about rib repair...have you any knowledge about that kind of thing?

Thanks..Stan

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd contact Briley.. Kolar fixed the rib on my friends kolar gun, but I think they only work on kolar guns, or guns with their subgauge tubes now.

7. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

I straightened a rib bent they way you described by using wood shims by alternating pressure as I slid them in. I didn't make it perfect but good enough.

8. StansCustoms

I thought a shim /wedge method...but wasn't sure it wouldn't be possible to dent the barrell instead of lift the rib...

...or worse...pull the rib off the barrell.

I'll look into the Brownell rib tool...I didn't know they made such a thing..

Still haven't heard from he seller..that surprises me, really enjoyed our conversations. .... but it's Friday night...maybe tomorrow.

Thanks..Stan

9. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Yes, try the rib tool from Brownell's. Worked for me.....

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

What MDMike said, Brownells sells a rib tool that will straighten out the rib.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Stan..... I have straightened out a couple bent ribs using the following method which is similiar to using wood shims: Go to your local ACE hardware store and buy a couple nylon closet (toilet) shims. Use them together, using alternating pressure, and the rib will straighten right out. Being nylon, they won't bend, dent, or scratch the barrel... Hope that helps..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

a nice flat blade srew driver little electric tape so u dont straight any thing gently bring it in an pry up a little at a time until straight dont it many time works 4 me also i use snap on srew drivers ck for fit under rib whinch one fits the best

13. StansCustoms

Thanks for the tips fellows...I ordered the Brownells tool.

The seller never answered so I guess it's my baby. I was being kind when I mentioned a shipping accident. The box didn't have a scratch on it...and it would have had to taken a lick to go thru the styrofoamm and boxing to dent the rib. It was likely bent when it was shipped.

It could have been an oversight, my eyes miss things sometimes too...so I left it to chance seeing if he would return my e-mail.

Not answering and voicing some concern says volumes...no surprise on that end I'm thinking.

Too bad...I expected better.

Thanks again guys...

Best regards..Stan

14. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Someone should make a tool that is made like a gear puller. Two legs to be adjusted in the distance between them with a puller going through the center hole that reaches under the rib. Put the puller legs over the points on the rib where it is soldered to the barrel and adjust the up pull of the center part of the puller by using a nut on the threaded portion of the puller leg. Something could be done similar to that with two wood blocks, a straight wood block with a hole in it and a bent s hook to put under the rib.

pulling up and tapping with a nylon hammer while pushing down on the mounting points means you do not have to worry about bending the barrel or pushing the rib off the barrel.

15. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Slowdp....that sounds just like the Murrays vent rib tool from Brownells

16. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

The rib on my BT got mysteriously bent. It was just a little bit, but it drove me nuts. It was all I could focus on. Stu Wright fixed it in about 10 min with a little gear puller looking gizmo. I think he charged me $15. Can't tell anything was ever wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to fix a bent rib