1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT Trap - Firing Pin Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rtclark21, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

Just bought a new Browning XT a few days ago and noticed that the top firing pin doesn't retract when the receiver it opened. In fact, if it is sticking out, I can push it back in with my finger without any pressure. If I rotate the stock upside down / right side up, the firing pin goes in & out somewhat easily.

I tested last night against a snap cap, and it does work (been raining for the past two days so not able to test yet).

This is my first O/U, wasn't sure if this is a standard operating feature.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The top pin does not need retraction on a Citori, there is a rebound spring on the bottom pin so brass can't hook on it.

HM

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

It's perfectly normal. As HM said, there is no return spring on the top firing pin so it moves in and out freely as the gun is tilted back and forth. The bottom firing pin has a spring that holds it in the retracted position except during the brief instant when it is hit by the hammer..... at which time it flies forward and impacts the primer. The spring returns the lower pin to the retracted position immediately after impact with the primer (or upon being dryfired).

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.