1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT trap does not fit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joesailor, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joesailor

joesailor TS Member

I purchased a Browning XT.trap and I find it does not fit me well. I have to really bear down on the stock to get the rib and beads lined up. If I try a closed eye mount it never comes up to the right position. I am debating either adding an adjustable butt plate and comb and also lowering the comb when the adjuster is added or just selling the gun and looking for something that fits better. I have tried a few sporting models and they seem to fit better. Maybe I am not a high rib type of shooter? I will be using the gun for trap and wobble trap.
    Joe Urban

2. chemist

chemist Member

I bought a used XT unsingle combo several month ago and it had an adjustable plate up/down and canting. I just added a Gracoil recoil and lop, and it is better- I am 6'4 with a long neck and bad shoulder and have owned several brownings , all had to be altered for my form. I had several O/U Broadways, BT 99 - sold those and bought the combo. Tried Perazzi and they did not fit , K guns did, but $$$ did not. The SKB and Beretta were Ok but friends with new Beretta had issue with comb hardware and wood issues. Browning XT combos are fairly easy to sell if unsingle 34 and 32 O/U. I am happy with mine.

good luck

rich k - chemist

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Go make an appointment with a reputable fitter in your area and all your troubles will be solved.

ss

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

joesailor , Are you mashing your face onto the comb to see a figure 8 picture? XT's don't have a very high rib.

5. racer

racer TS Member

Adjustable comb's aren't too expensive. Be sure to tell the stock guy that you need to go lower. Stacked beads aren't really needed in shot guns (my view) I think it's a carry over from rifle shooting. Dan

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Does your XT have a monte carlo stock or straight comb? Having an aftermarket adjustable comb will solve your problems. Regards, Ed

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

You hope!

8. joesailor

joesailor TS Member

The gun has a Monte carlo Stock and I have to mash my face/cheek into the stock, not so much to get the beads to stack, but to prevent the gun from lining up with the mid bead to the right.

9. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

A Jones style pad adjuster and a 4way adjustable comb will fix you up. I had my gunsmith shave a little off my comb (it takes very little) to get it lined up and shooting where I was looking but then you have to refinish the stock. J.Terre

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Or you could sell it. Looking for one myself.

11. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

A monte carlo stock is actually better than the Browning adjustable comb, because you can put on proper comb hardware instead of the worthless crap Browning uses.

If you're going to the Grand, look up Todd Nelson (Country Gentleman) and have him do it. He's done 4 combs and 4 buttplates for me, and every one of them was perfect. He knows his business. Nice guy, too.

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

To paraphrase that great American Advocate " It it doesn't fit, you must sell it".

13. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Since we're not all made with a cookie cutter, how can we all shoot guns that are all alike. If the beads are not lined up and are next to one another you need either an adjustable comb or to have your stock bent, depending on the severity of the misalignment. If you'fr anywhere near New Jersey, I'd be glad to look at it and help you if I can.

Ed Yanchok

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Vstrom 650 have them cut the comb thicker and sand off the bottom for a lower
    face mount, Sand off the bottom of the comb that is.

Same as making a deeper cut for the comb into the stock.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Gary, The comb shaving worked good for me, after refinishing the gun looked great and it finally fit me comfortably. It was just hard to watch him take a file to my pretty wood stock, lol. He seemed to get a kick out of watching my reaction as he filed away. J.Terre

16. sliverbulletexpress

Seriously, add a Keensights rib and you will solve your problem and have a more heads up position as well.

17. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Gary, The comb shaving worked good for me, after refinishing the gun looked great and it finally fit me comfortably. It was just hard to watch him take a file to my pretty wood stock, lol. He seemed to get a kick out of watching my reaction as he filed away. J.Terre

18. sliverbulletexpress

Seriously, add a Keensights rib and you will solve your problem and have a more heads up position as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.