1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT problem?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by steevo, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steevo

steevo TS Member

A friend of mine had a problem with his XT last night. Seems it was just giving a very light dent in the primers. Happened twice out of one round. He has had it a while, but not long enough for the springs to weaken like that. At least I dont think so. Has anyone else had this problem? Might it be just a need to replace the springs? Any suggestions would help. Thanks Steve

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

If shooting reloads, primers may be the problem...seated too deeply or some primers just seat lower. Another possibility is dirt in firing pin holes. Lastly, some have reported broken firing pins in XTs. Best Regards, Ed

3. steevo

steevo TS Member

Well, these were new factory loads. He did say it has happened before. I think I might recommend him getting a couple new springs and pins. Thats should do it. Does anyone know if this is an easy project to do? Steve

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

What kind of factory loads. Might be steel primers.

Pat Ireland

5. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

You have not provided enough information to help me generate an intelligent response. So based on what you have said, I would ask what kind of shells are we talking about. I would also ask if a a buddy (with a different gun) has tried to shoot the shells after the misfires. If no one tried them again, could you measure the depression of the struck primer versus the primer depth of a shell that did go bang.

If you have ever changed firing pin springs on a Browning, you would have a better understanding of what the problem could be.

6. steevo

steevo TS Member

OK Lets see, the shells were new AA. He also used Federals a few days before and had the same problem. Nobody else tried to use them again. I havent tried to replace the springs or pins in a Browning as of yet. But, Im not against trying.
    Steve

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Steevo, the questions I asked are quite reasonable. The internet is not a good forum for fixing shotguns or diagnosing problems. I am certain you can understand the importance of trying the "dud" shells a second time in a different gun. Sometimes guns are broken and sometimes ammunition is NFG. Sometimes the gun owner is not very good at gun cleaning and this little lapse could lead to misfires.

8. steevo

steevo TS Member

Yes, your questions are reasonable. I just didnt know if this is a usual problem. I will first try to clean the pins and holes, with the stock off. I will also look at the pins and springs. I will just order them and replace pins and springs if need be. Thanks Steve

9. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

My old Citori was made in 97. I bought it used in 00. this gun was my only gun for a couple of years but now I only use that gun for doubles. So I am over 25,000 registered doubles targets with that old Browning. I have had misfires with Estate shells.

10. steevo

steevo TS Member

I have seen that a lot with the Estates. I only use new shells now, I dont reload, and I usually only use AA's or STS's. I havent had a misfire in a long time.

11. steevo

steevo TS Member

Sounds cheap. Thanks for the info. Steve

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Got a buck that says it's the bottom barrel.

HM

13. scott k

scott k TS Member

newer xt bottom pins are too short ot the hammer end, i have 4 xt's, i put a spot of weld on the pin and used a file to reshape the pin adding about .010 to the length. works great with no more misfires.

scott

14. DLB6208

DLB6208 TS Member

My XT had the same problem and it was dirt and powder in the locking mech. not letting it lock all the way .

15. sootmaker

sootmaker TS Member

Steve, I have an XT and it was doing the same thing and after all the fixes were tried I ended up cking the length of new pins and found out that they are not all the same length.I ended up haveing my smithy weld up my bottom pin and make it a little longer and have had no problems since. It only happened on the bottom barrel also.Would take the dented shell out and put it in the top barrell and it would fire.After the weld job in case you want to know I did not end up with holes in the primers. (did not) but be sure to try all the other things first. Clean pin holes very well.They build up if you use dirty powder. Good luck
    Jim

16. bydnsilly3

bydnsilly3 Member

This is a very common problem with these guns. I have replaced firing pins on at least 12 so far (and have 6 more to do). Everytime I put in factory pins they fail very quickly. Al Timney had some titanium pins that worked great. I never had a problem with them. Wrights purchased his remaining stock some time ago. Unfortunately they left the pins in California. They will get them on their next trip west. I am forced to wait for the new pins to fix these guns. I posted a week or so ago looking for another source for these pins. No luck to date. When you get new pins it goes without saying that you will want to clean the holes very well. You can try calling Browning. Good luck. If you find another source, please let the rest of us know.

Bill Myers

17. steevo

steevo TS Member

Thanks loads for all the insight. It looks like I will be trying a few things, starting with cleaning, top lever spring, and then firing pins. Thanks again.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.