1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT or Synergy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1822fortjesse, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1822fortjesse

1822fortjesse TS Member

So what's the better of the two ? XT or Synergy ? Synergy doesn't seem to get much play on this site. Anything particular about why one or the other?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its Cynergy.

Just say'n...............

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shot an unsingle cynergy today- impressive gun

I have a couple of cynergy's -- sporting clays and waterfowl

The triggers arent as good as Krieghoffs - but I do have a gunsmith that does trigger jobs on them

The mechanics of the gun itself are very impressive- and it has to be tremendously strong with that action lock up

shallow receiver yet not wide either

Impressive gun

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

In about every category the XT is a better way to go, including triggers and a biggie, resale. Some guys don't complain about the triggers but for the most part are people who have never owned a gun with a good trigger. For some reason they have not taking off like Browning thought they would. There is not one of them at my club but there is a shit pot full of XT's.

5. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Make sure to pick both and see how they fit. I held a Cynergy that I had my heart set on. Just didn't fit, couldn't get a normal sight picture without bringing my head way down. Picked up the XT and it fit like a glove. Perfect figure 8 beads. Heavy and comfortable. Plus I could tweak it with the adjustable comb.

The best gun is the one that fits you properly.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ditto...could not get comfortable with a Cynergy for anything. Picked up an XT and it was perfect.

7. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

same here, XT fit better. My only regret is that I did not do enough research or know enough at the time to buy the combo. What ever you decide on the gun needs to fit you and you need to feel comfortable with it. Personally I like my XT and havae shot it rather well. My only regret is that I di not know about the combo. Do your self a favor and pony up the extra grand and get a combo no matter which one you choose. Either one will last a long time.

Jim Bradbury

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The XT is old school. The Citori was originally released in 1973. Mechanically, it has changed very little over that time. The XT is a Trap model, has wood to match that purpose along with a slightly higher rib.

The Cynergy is the new kid on the block. Introduced in 2004, it is a completely new design. Many have said that it's a copy of this or that, but none of those models mentioned are similar to the Cynergy. The triggers are new, the receiver is new, and the wood design is new.

I have almost 10K rounds through mine, and I love it still. I have owned both. When it came time to sell one, I kept the Cynergy and sold the XT.

Both are great guns, the only question is, do you want old or new?

9. atadams77

atadams77 Member

I had the same problem many others did. Fit was never good, nor the site picture. I was constanly readjusting, which constantly killed my scores. I moved to a k80 trap combo (not the trap special). Perfect mount ever since. Scores back in the 90's and I love it!

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

<blockquote><I>"Some guns are hard to pry open."</I></blockquote>This is adjustable. PM or email me for the instructions in a PDF.

<blockquote><I>"Ejector mechanism is dodgy."</I></blockquote>I don't know what you mean by this. They did have some trouble on early models, but they fix them for free. Browning redesigned the Ejectors, and new models don't have any trouble. Even better, the Cynergy can be switched from Eject to Extract, without tools, in about 30 seconds.

11. philk

philk Member

I`d bet money most guys that bad mouth them haven`t even picked one up let alone shot one.

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

The Cynergy fits me much better than the XT, mainly because of the longer wrist.I shoot it much better than the Citori I shot for many years, and think that once people get over their fear of something new, that the Cynergy will be the go to gun. I agree that the Euro look was a mistake, but the Classic Trap is an elegant looking gun, and the combo is as good as it gets.
    As for releases, there is a gunsmith in Duncan, British Columbia who makes very good releases. His name is Gordy Keller, and you can reach him at 1 250 710 5926.

13. AEP

AEP Member

I have a Cynergy. It is a great gun. As I have stated before, gun fit is most important, followed by your liking the gun. If you don't lke the looks of a gun you will never shoot it well and will always be looking at other guns wishingyou had something different.

Regarding the Cynergy triggers. They are bad from the factory and browning wants them that way. Browning feels a 5-7 lb trigger pull, with a lot of creep is what we should shoot. Bull.

TheCynergy trigger is an easy fix. Look on this site or the other shotgun fourm site and search for Reducing Trigger Pull in the subject title. You can either do it or take it to a gunsmith and have him follow the instructions.

The one bad thing about the Cynergy or XT is the non-adjustable over/under set of barrels.

Before you buy either I would shoot both and see which one you like.

Good luck,
    Andy P

14. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"... once people get over their fear of something new... "

Have people accepted the Browning Citori yet ?

Thought the verdict was still out on the Citori as people hang on to their Browning Superpose shotguns.

15. philk

philk Member

Hammer, I`ll never give up my 20ga Superposed Superlight, my go to grouse gun. But I do go to a longer barrel Citori for open field birds, good for steel areas to.

No doubt many shooters were put off by the early recoil pads, I have a euro sporting adj. comb Cynergy with one. While the pad works good they aren`t very pretty. I do really like the unsingle Trap Combo but it took a Graycoil with an adj. pad to get it to come around. I like it heads and tails better for doubles than my Citori Plus but sometimes I really regret selling the BT Plus, loved that gun.

It would be interesting to hear some feedback from somebody that has used one of the smiths that are supposed to be able to do releases on the Cynergy. A couple have been posted on this board now.

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

I was under the impression that they were not easily adapted to release!?

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The Cynergy is a poor copy of a Flodman/Caprius made in Sweden.. While the big metal is very similar.. the reverse hammers on the Cynergy leave me doubtful of it's longevity.. I've had the gun apart.. I own 2 Flodman's...Browning would have done better to pay Flodman for their patient..and COPY the gun correctly.. the triggers are barely acceptable at best.. The Browning XT is time proven.. and in my book.. a far better design for extreme longevity..and for trapshooters.. that's what we demand.. longevity.. and a GREAT trigger.. I think as a field gun the Cynergy is acceptable..it feels good.. and shoots well..JUST.. I'm concerned about its future..and parts avaiability.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.