1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT Firing Pin Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

What happens when the firing pin is going bad?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

look at the tip with a good magnifying glass. mine looked almost like a corroded chrome rim. pitted a bit. I had a few missfires one day. I was shooting different ammo. but then a i had a few with rem sts. my normal round. I got new pins from browning, 4 days and a few bucks.

3. alpine

alpine TS Member

I have an XT and the lower barrel will not hit the primer hard enough to fire 1 time outa 50. I have had it to two smiths and they can't find out what is wrong. And I close the gun in the exact same way every time.

Anybody have a similar problem?

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Without looking at the firing pin, what happens when the firing pin is going? I haven't had firing pin issues before (and hope I'm not now). I've had, on the other hand, major spring issues happen to my other Browning.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My lower barrel has many many many rounds through it before needing replacement. upper ok. like i said I only had a few missfires, that was enough for me got a new spring and pin. also a good cleaning every 1500 rounds or so helps. when i get through my 4th flat of ammo a make a date for a stock off deep cleaning.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Most issues ive seen with most guns is DIRTY and over oiled to get dirty fast again. I am not a gun smith but alot of people come to me with gun problems. most have been solved with a deep cleaning.

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

wireguy, you have that right about the Wolf springs, they area heaver gauge wire, and are longer, but they do make a difference! 10Tenner

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are three primary reasons a firing pin does not hit a properly seated primer hard enough to fire the shell. Remember, first the primer must be seated properly and this is the first thing I would check.

Broken or excessively worn tip on the pin will shorten the pin. Dirt in the firing pin cavity will prevent the pin from moving forward. A weak firing pin spring will not move the pin forward with sufficient force to fire the primer. I would suggest that if a new firing pin is required, the spring also be replaced and the firing pin cavity be cleaned.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.