1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

XT combo misfire problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by theclaysmoker, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theclaysmoker

theclaysmoker TS Member

I have a Browning XT combo and have problems with the lower barrel and the unsingle with misfires. I reload AA HS hulls with fiocchi primers and Promo powder bottom barrel misfired tonight 9 times out of 50. Just loaded the shells today and raised the primer seat depth up a little. Still have misfires. Put a new firing pin and spring in last week and the ones that go off have great dents in them. Shot the misfire ones in the top barrel and they all go boom. Bought 4 boxes of new estates and they all went off in the single barrel making me think its the new aa hs hulls with the fiocchi primers.Friends of mine tried to shoot my misfires and they all went off in their guns. Its driving me nuts any ideas?

Bob in Montana

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

change shells/primers? fiocchi primers , are they harder? I have heard from some rifle cartridge reloaders that the wolf primers are a bit harder to ignite? I wanted to get some wolf 209s just no one local ever has them?

3. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I have shot thousands of AA w/ Fio 616 and Promo powder combinations in my '93 Citori Trap (mostly lower barrel) that were loaded on a 800+.

Double check your seating depth and your new pin and spring.

When something goes wrong, always recheck what you most recently changed.

HBT

4. creek

creek Member

I, and another shooter here have the XT Combo and have had the same problem.
    I resolved the prolem by switching primers from Noblesports to Win. 209's. With the Wincester primers I have shot about 6,000 rounds without a misfire.
    The other guy had his firing pin worked on by the locl gunsmith; he ground down one side of the pin and that seemed to fix the problem as well.
    I hope that helps,
    John

5. bill2

bill2 Member

Local dealer sent mine to Browning. Only charge was 25.00 shipping and insurance. Time for gun away from home three weeks. Have not had anything misfire since that time. Bill

6. FLIP

FLIP Member

had the same problem with mine.(same load)browning makes a new longer firing pin,change it with the spring problem will go away.

7. theclaysmoker

theclaysmoker TS Member

I just spoke with Browning service department. They where no help! They said just send it in to us and if we shoot 100 new rounds and no misfire we'll just send it back. There is only one fireing pin for the gun they said. 8-12 weeks turn around time

8. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I have posted this before. My local Browning dealer contacted Browning and talked with a engineer, and the new firing pins are longer. I received two new firing pins and the back section is .018 longer, and the tip has a sharper radius, not as blunt. Also, I have stronger hammer springs, check the link above. with AA, Top Gun, Estates, the Fiocchi primers will dish the base of the hull in, creating a gap between the face of your receiver and the primer. This a problem with PW reloaders. Shot some Top gun reloads with the new firing pins, and actually had a primer pierced. 10tenner

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I have posted this before. My local Browning dealer contacted Browning and talked with a engineer, and the new firing pins are longer. I received two new firing pins and the back section is .018 longer, and the tip has a sharper radius, not as blunt. Also, I have stronger hammer springs, check the link above. with AA, Top Gun, Estates, the Fiocchi primers will dish the base of the hull in, creating a gap between the face of your receiver and the primer. This a problem with PW reloaders. Shot some Top gun reloads with the new firing pins, and actually had a primer pierced. 10tenner

10. ajc

ajc Member

This topic has come up several times in recent past. My XT exhibited the same lower barrel misfires starting at about 30K rounds. I questioned my reloads, the hulls, the primters, just about everything you could think of. Based upon inputs from this site, I replaced the firing pin (it was 0.005" longer than the original) and I cleaned out all the gunk in the firing pin bore and on the firing pin itself. Problem went away. I recommend you pull the stock and give the firing pin and bores a good cleaning. You may be amazed at how much crud gets built up, preventing the firing pin from fully seating.
    ajc

11. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Must be connected to the base wad migration problem. Can't be anything else. LOL Couldn't resist.

12. FLIP

FLIP Member

13. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

No,,I disagree,,,the problem is in the "Muffler Bearing," where it is supported by the "Flight Line." Sorry about that,,,
    I have had two XT's, and both had the same problem of FTF in the lower barrel.
    The new firing pins are longer, but if you have a newer XT, they already have the longer pin. The first XT, I tried all the above things with the gun, nothing helped, until it broke the Hammer and mount. At that point it was replaced by Browning with a new XT Combo. The new one started FTF at around shot #900, cleaned, replaced firing pins and nothing helped. It is now at Browning for there "look-see." The "P" gun is looking better all the time. Other wise I like the Gun,,,When it behives, and shoots.
    Norman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.